So it looks like I might be buying a farm. This has been a exciting day.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Fantastic, well jealous. Good luck with it all. Look forward to seeing pics of the ongoing project.

FB

I can’t wait also!  I have access to the property now from the owner but I don’t want to get to invested until the title search comes back clean.  I would hate to do a bunch of work only to discover someone in the 1700s didn’t spell his name right when he sold it.  I did clean the spring house out and it’s crystal clear and ice cold. 

nmLT2pE.jpg

well done,  clear water on site,  your options are endless hope it all works out , can you build any permanent or temporary dwellings on site  dew to state local law  (curious about local regs and building types brick or log or other  acceptable or not what are the regs in your area  )  

On 16/08/2019 at 11:45, Farmboy91 said:

Most important question, are you going to make some videos like the bloke from demolition ranch? 😂 

Lol,  I got banned from YouTube over a video.  It was called how the gay club shooting should have went down.  In Florida a GAY bar got shot up by a Muslim. So we made a video of a bunch of us country boys in daisie dukes and shirts tied up.  We were dancing to that gay puss and boots song.  Then off camera my cousin started screaming aloha snack bar! And we all drew guns and started firing.  Basically saying that even gays should carry gun for protection.  Long story short I got locked.  

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

well done,  clear water on site,  your options are endless hope it all works out , can you build any permanent or temporary dwellings on site  dew to state local law  (curious about local regs and building types brick or log or other  acceptable or not what are the regs in your area  )  

Out side of city limits so this is unrestricted.  In the country side we have little to no laws regarding building.  The only rules I have to follow is a county ban of permanent structures within 10ft of the property line and I can’t  dump sewage within 40ft of a creek.  Inside city limits then every city is different.  You have to get permits to build, nobody does when they build themselves but contractor that except payment for work has to be inspected and permited. That being said nobody follows through.  I was told I couldn’t put a barn on my property. So I built one twice as big as they told me I couldn’t build in the first place.    Well after a few years they started taxing the barn as permitted structure.  Now that it is 5 years old it is grandfather against injunction.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Lol,  I got banned from YouTube over a video.  It was called how the gay club shooting should have went down.  In Florida a GAY bar got shot up by a Muslim. So we made a video of a bunch of us country boys in daisie dukes and shirts tied up.  We were dancing to that gay puss and boots song.  Then off camera my cousin started screaming aloha snack bar! And we all drew guns and started firing.  Basically saying that even gays should carry gun for protection.  Long story short I got locked.  

Yeah I can imagine YouTube not appreciating that very much lol 

On 07/08/2019 at 09:31, NoBodyImportant said:

That’s not a thing around here.  Up north it is.  We are a castle doctrine, stand your ground state.  We can use up to deadly force to protect our property.  The courts have ruled that wildlife on our land is property.  

CF37F13E-D733-4D59-BFA9-600B83B78F0C.jpeg

Sure.  I’d be happy if you paid anything.  People have been use the 100 yard range I built behind the house for years and they don’t pay nothing.  

Was the same in Texas until the Lawyers got on the case and the normal sign on ranch fences and gates was...THERE IS NOTHING IN HERE WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE FOR ..

became deemed as intention to kill.   Nothing quite beats having your own bit of ground.  I have just 12 1/2 acres and have planted trees over most making it into a wildlife haven.

As your waitresses say....ENJOY!   ............... but just a warning it is hard work but worth it.

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Was the same in Texas until the Lawyers got on the case and the normal sign on ranch fences and gates was...THERE IS NOTHING IN HERE WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE FOR ..

became deemed as intention to kill.   Nothing quite beats having your own bit of ground.  I have just 12 1/2 acres and have planted trees over most making it into a wildlife haven.

As your waitresses say....ENJOY!   ............... but just a warning it is hard work but worth it.

Unfortunately Texas is slowly falling to the liberals.  Californians are fleeing the state that they voted for. They are moving to Texas then they are voting for the same government they are fleeing from. 

Hiya

Presumably once all signed and sorted you will be looking to bring in 'work details' (unless Board of Corrections? let you use local Labour) for board n rations.............just saying!

A good friends Father lives in NC (fuels up in SC though!) so could work something in........

All the best with your endeavors!

L

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, figgy said:

So with the tree removal will we see a log cabin build like on my self reliance.

I want to build a stone cabin.  I have at least a mile of stone walls that I can plunder.  But my wife wants a Scandinavian modern cabin.  I used to build walk in freezers.  I have about $50,000 of thermal insulated glass panels that I salvaged from grocery stores.  They are very insulated triple glazed and cost about $800 each but I got them for free.  She wants walls of glass but I want a small rustic place.  So I will probably mix it up with a stone cabin with walls of glass.  I have about 60 of these doors to work with. 

9CAD6006-EAB2-4C93-8936-1E4A86F499E4.jpeg

And I have more then enough rock. Some places has walls 6ft thick.  The whole top of the mountain is fortified.  

4E72BFAD-FC67-4AAE-81B4-2038BA793269.jpeg

Well I set out this morning with the goal of cutting a 1/2 mile of road. Well I missed the target goal by about a half mile. LOL. Around 5pm I gave up and drove into town and dropped $600 on a new stihl 131fs weed wacker with a brush cutting attachment.  It was a investment but Stihl will last the rest of my life. We got about 100 yards off the main road but that brush cutter will work better tomorrow. The brush and vines kept throwing the chain on my saw. Good news is the wife started looking up the glass jugs we found at the liquor still and the go from $70 for the mazola ones to $150 for the 1 Gal CokeCola ones. All said and done I’m setting on about 10k in glass jugsjVL6iLD.jpg

mp6H42c.jpg

DkmwZSy.jpg

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Liquor still?.....is it operational? Is it legal to privately distil liquor in rural NC? By jugs I presume you mean for holding/storing the finished product?.....visions of ‘Deliverance’ keep popping into my head !lol!.....or maybe ‘holy water’ 😉

No, it long since been robbed of copper.  The mostly collapsed furnace and the cooling pond is still there. You can legally own a still and all the equipment to make liquor. You can make alcohol for farm use. You are not allowed to make it for human consumption without a permit and tax paid on it.  But everyone does, there are even festivals and classes you can take to learn how to get different flavors.  As long as your not selling then nobody cares.  To sell it requires state inspections, permits, product testing ect... 

Yes jugs are the glass jars with a finger loops.  

Deliverance was filmed not to far from here.  

On 13/09/2019 at 19:29, NoBodyImportant said:

Well she is officially mine.  The shear amount of work of head of me is starting to sink in. 😂.  Every time I walk the fields the trees that I have to remove are getting bigger and more numerous. 

BUT it will be well worth the effort. We moved here 29yrs ago and I planted 3800 trees and 400 hazels and we are now seeing the results of all that hardwork.  Still needs maintaining but that is mainly from the seat of my Kubota tractor or my Kubota mower.   3270 walnuts from two trees planted 25yrs ago is the bonus.  Any pecans on yours?

I bet you have that poison ivy stuff we tried hard to avoid in Texas. Nasty stuff like nettles on steroids.

Edited by Walker570