So it looks like I might be buying a farm. This has been a exciting day.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well done you        nice piece of land given photos   , logging or ,  is it crying out for a log cabin abode for the family to enjoy ,   and  if not  / camping / glamping  development / or other/ rifle range/ clay shoot/  hunting /stalking  to give you a return on your $  ( how does this work out in your area curious ) thanks john

Edited by Saltings

On 15/09/2019 at 11:54, Walker570 said:

BUT it will be well worth the effort. We moved here 29yrs ago and I planted 3800 trees and 400 hazels and we are now seeing the results of all that hardwork.  Still needs maintaining but that is mainly from the seat of my Kubota tractor or my Kubota mower.   3270 walnuts from two trees planted 25yrs ago is the bonus.  Any pecans on yours?

I bet you have that poison ivy stuff we tried hard to avoid in Texas. Nasty stuff like nettles on steroids.

I have seen 3 pecans.  And few walnuts.   The owner said there was some apples on the east slope but I can’t find them.  

47 minutes ago, hwr said:

Well done

farm round here in the midlands, Warwickshire went for £18000 an acre grade 2 land!

HS2 paying £8000 compensation for similar quality.

Yeah I feel you.  I live near a big city and one acre lots in my neighborhood sell for 40k without well or septic.  That’s why I had to drive 45min away to buy a farm.  I can’t afford any more land around where I live. I bought my house near Charlotte NC during the market crash for less then half it’s current value.  I have thought about selling my house and buying a few hundred acres out in the county but I like my 15 minutes drive to work.  Plus we are in a excellent school district.  

6 hours ago, London Best said:

In the U.K. that would be a sea of mud and all but impassable to most vehicles for much of the year! We would have to tarmac at vast expense or at least stone the road heavily.

You maybe mean an endless succession of people trying to stop the dream? 

It seems the main driving force here is to re-educate, surveil and control everyone except themselves? 

No written constitution gives authority absolute freedom? 

are you doing a traditional log or factory generic  log style  cabin dwelling   ( either way im jealous as hell )  joking apart   all the best in this plot  going forward to you and your  family, go for off  grid   living   ,,,,        only good can come of this  what seasonal fruits/ veggies / do you produce or have traded localy  , also what game do you have in the area  to harvest   before shop bought food 

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

are you doing a traditional log or factory generic  log style  cabin dwelling   ( either way im jealous as hell )  joking apart   all the best in this plot  going forward to you and your  family, go for off  grid   living   ,,,,        only good can come of this  what seasonal fruits/ veggies / do you produce or have traded localy  , also what game do you have in the area  to harvest   before shop bought food 

I have a mile or so of stone walls that I might plunder to build a rock cabin.  I want to eventually clear at least 5-10 acres with 2 acres planted with fruit trees.  I was told the property was a old vineyard witch explains why they are muskydines grow all throughout the property.  I know I have a ridiculous about of turkey and deer.  The property is surrounded by miles of farms and national park land.   No plans on moving up to the farm but it will be a weekend getaway.  

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I have a mile or so of stone walls that I might plunder to build a rock cabin.  I want to eventually clear at least 5-10 acres with 2 acres planted with fruit trees.  I was told the property was a old vineyard witch explains why they are muskydines grow all throughout the property.  I know I have a ridiculous about of turkey and deer.  The property is surrounded by miles of farms and national park land.   No plans on moving up to the farm but it will be a weekend getaway.  

Before you plunder the walls clear the ground and tear it up you could probably find enough stone buried under the ground to build your cabin 

On 23/09/2019 at 09:50, NoBodyImportant said:

Yeah I feel you.  I live near a big city and one acre lots in my neighborhood sell for 40k without well or septic.

$40k for an acre you can build on, near a city, but without any services?  You could pretty much add a zero to that in the UK, and change the currency sign!  Not that I'm jealous, much...

On 28/09/2019 at 14:46, London Best said:

I see your point O.M. but I really meant the UK rain would turn the track to mud fairly quickly.

Depends how many people drive down it, and how much effort you put into drainage.  As it'll only be the OP, his family, and his friends,  shouldn't be too bad.  He's not going to be running some massive new John Deere and 20t trailer up and down the track 5 times daily either.

Anyway, from memory the OP is in NC, a quick google search shows that Charlotte, NC gets 43" rain per year, or 1092 mm, compared to Bristol's 819 mm.  Obviously I've just pulled those 2 locations out of my rear, but you get the point.

15 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Before you plunder the walls clear the ground and tear it up you could probably find enough stone buried under the ground to build your cabin 

+1  You start digging your septic/long-drop and see what you've got!  Build yourself a tractor-loadable sieve (youtube it) and you'll soon have a pile of rock...depending on your soil condtions obviously.

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I know I have a ridiculous about of turkey and deer.  The property is surrounded by miles of farms and national park land

Sorry if you mentioned this previously, but what's the deal there?  If it's on your land, and in season, fair game, right?

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Sorry if you mentioned this previously, but what's the deal there?  If it's on your land, and in season, fair game, right?

Yes, no licenses required to hunt your personal property if in season.   You can get a out of season permit if wild life is causing harm to a cash crop.  To hunt national park land you have to buy a license.  I just bought my son and it was $300 for his lifetime hunt/fish.  Or it cost $55 a year if you don’t buy lifetime.  Or $17 for a 3 day pass. The crappy part is the license is only good for one state you purchased it in.  So if you live close to the border and hunt two states then you have to buy two.  

• 2 weeks later...

Walked down the road to the next farm to see about buying some of their land and ended up talking for a while.  They told me about a home place  on my property from the 1700s.  The original house in this valley.  I cut a trail to the previous unexplored part of the land and sure enough there is a foundation there. 6C6KeWe.jpgUBrjD5W.jpg

After walking around I think this is the official cabin sight.  The cabin will set on the edge of the cliff and the back porch will hang over.  I plan on setting steel targets down the the mountain and up the other side of the valley for porch plinking.   I own half way up the other mountain then it turns into tax protected forest land for about mile to the paved road.  It’s gets good sunlight for solar and there is another spring in the bottom for water.  Not the one pictured but it can be developed with a cistern.  Plus I get good cell service with Lite internet here.  I think the wife is going to when out and we are going to do a indoor bathroom with flush toilet, small kitchen.  I will probably do a glass and stone cabin.  I already have about 50 super thermal insulated glass panels from my old job as a commercial freezer installer.  

88zqbJa.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant