So it looks like I might be buying a farm. This has been a exciting day.

I have about 50 freezer doors and  25 match and are about 32 in wide and 5.5 feet tall. So it will probably be 3 walls of stone with about a 20-30 ft wall of glass that will be 11 feet tall or two doors tall.  With a flat shed roof sloping back to 8ft.  The wall of glass will face the cliff face with a porch that over hangs.  With double glass doors that open up.  8obKQQP.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/09/2019 at 20:30, Saltings said:

well done you        nice piece of land given photos   , logging or ,  is it crying out for a log cabin abode for the family to enjoy ,   and  if not  / camping / glamping  development / or other/ rifle range/ clay shoot/  hunting /stalking  to give you a return on your $  ( how does this work out in your area curious ) thanks john

Sorry I missed this post.  Honestly i paid my house off a while back and I amassed a pretty good chunk of money by just not having debt. I was looking to find other places to put it other then a savings account.  I look at this as a place as a savings account that I get to enjoy.  You can buy stock but can you enjoy owning stock on the weekends? No you really can’t.  The USA has millions of acres of park land but you have to move every 14 days  so you really can’t build a structure on it.  Plus as Charlotte gets bigger the land is getting more and more expensive.  As a bonus South Mountain is becoming a tourist spot for City folk escaping on the weekends.   So by purchasing this land I am locking in my future grandchildren’s spot to build vacation homes or rental cabins.  But yes,  there are plans for a 300 yard range, and a clay field.  Maybe not a professional skeet but a 12v thrower or two.  I am going to log at least five acres to start a vineyard, orchard and a field. ( field will be for dove/ deer and no plans to cash crop it) 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

Looks good.  Ate home cooked food off a VERY old wood stove in a VERY old cabin, up in the hills above Casper Wyoming courtesy of the Ranch Managers wife.  Food to die for.

I think I could turn out some good eating off of that stove.  We have a large log burner in our farmhouse kitchen and I ordered that with a flat plate top and we often use that to cook on.  I don't know why but food always tatstes better off a wood stove.

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Sorry I missed this post.  Honestly i paid my house off a while back and I amassed a pretty good chunk of money by just not having debt. I was looking to find other places to put it other then a savings account.  I look at this as a place as a savings account that I get to enjoy.  You can buy stock but can you enjoy owning stock on the weekends? No you really can’t.  The USA has millions of acres of park land but you have to move every 14 days  so you really can’t build a structure on it.  Plus as Charlotte gets bigger the land is getting more and more expensive.  As a bonus South Mountain is becoming a tourist spot for City folk escaping on the weekends.   So by purchasing this land I am locking in my future grandchildren’s spot to build vacation homes or rental cabins.  But yes,  there are plans for a 300 yard range, and a clay field.  Maybe not a professional skeet but a 12v thrower or two.  I am going to log at least five acres to start a vineyard, orchard and a field. ( field will be for dove/ deer and no plans to cash crop it) 

Clever and patience WILL be rewarded. Did Red Flag back in the 70s and met a lass who'd been the lead dancer in many of the shows in Las Vegas. On the advice of her accountant she'd been buying up the desert surrounding the town for a few cents an acre. Some had already gone up fourfold in price then and I can't imagine what it would be fetching now.

13 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Roughly a hour and 20 mins north west bordering south mountain state park.  

Thanks,helps put a picture to it all for OTP folks!!

Looks like a huge woodland area in that State Park.

Edited by matone

Started working on the bathhouse today.  I got the aqueduct in place to feed the hottub, flush toilet and sink.  It hasn’t rain in 3 months but I’m still getting about 2 gallon per minute.  It sprinkled a little yesterday so I’m hoping the drought is over.  I found 8ft round galvanized tank that will be heated with wood.  

CMippQG.jpg

ONQRS1H.jpg 

W8ThCEW.jpgssMWVMs.jpg

This is not mine but the basic idea for the hot tub. maxresdefault.jpg

On 13/10/2019 at 04:35, Walker570 said:

Looks good.  Ate home cooked food off a VERY old wood stove in a VERY old cabin, up in the hills above Casper Wyoming courtesy of the Ranch Managers wife.  Food to die for.

I think I could turn out some good eating off of that stove.  We have a large log burner in our farmhouse kitchen and I ordered that with a flat plate top and we often use that to cook on.  I don't know why but food always tatstes better off a wood stove.

I feel the same way about cast iron, it’s got a taste to it. 

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:17, NoBodyImportant said:

I feel the same way about cast iron, it’s got a taste to it. 

brought up on an old Stanleigh 9 range/stove    log or  turf/peat   burner stove  in Ireland      there is nothing like a roast   as more baked dry flavour ,         as natural gas / propane give off a gallon of water to a gallon of gas so doesn't have that toasty dry  flavour   a separate burner / oven bakes a flavour only found in ovens without a burner within the compartment  a wood stove with an oven  you are on a winner        not to mention a stew of any kind bubbling like lava  for a few days on a back burner take from and add too day by day  after a week hell you would kill for a serving,    a week old stew bubbling slowly like lava   is to die for,    be it any wild critter  ,  you will not regret a 5 to 7 day old stew bubbling  slowly day and night  ,    I tempt you to stay away until day five if you can take the torture  

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

brought up on an old Stanleigh 9 range/stove    log or  turf/peat   burner stove  in Ireland      there is nothing like a roast   as more baked dry flavour ,         as natural gas / propane give off a gallon of water to a gallon of gas so doesn't have that toasty dry  flavour   a separate burner / oven bakes a flavour only found in ovens without a burner within the compartment  a wood stove with an oven  you are on a winner        not to mention a stew of any kind bubbling like lava  for a few days on a back burner take from and add too day by day  after a week hell you would kill for a serving,    a week old stew bubbling slowly like lava   is to die for,    be it any wild critter  ,  you will not regret a 5 to 7 day old stew bubbling  slowly day and night  ,    I tempt you to stay away until day five if you can take the torture  

Can’t speak about 7 day stew....but can confirm that food cooked in the oven of an old turf range cooker for example Salmon, stew and chicken etc, tastes wonderful! Years ago I rented a cottage in the Mayo/Sligo area whilst fishing, in the morning we stuck pre prepared food in the oven, got back after fishing........to the tastiest meal you could ask for!!