We won the claim, but getting the money is another thing ...

RockySpears

We have a judgement in our favour for a CCJ against a local contractor.

Now it seems comes the hard part, getting the money.  If anyone here is in the business, maybe local to the North East and can help it would be appreciated.

We can see what we have to do, but as it appears to involve at least 6 Court forms and 3 Court fees we could do with a bit of help, especially when it comes to "serving" some of the notices.

In all honesty I am a bit saddened that, having had a court give Judgement that some one owes you money, nothing is done in the way of enforcement. 

Seems to me that the ordinary Joe has little hope of getting his money back without spending around £500 of his cash with no guarantee or even much hope, of getting the claim enforced,

Thanks,

RS

We had similar with mum and dad old place. Sold having never flooded only to discover that in the bad fluids of 2000 it had actually flooded. Long drawn out process later they were awarded £50k plus costs. Then trying to get the money they gave up in the end because she officially owned nothing on paper and had no assets. 

It is silly there is nothing in place, I thought once you had a judgement the bailiffs would be instructed to collect the money and those fees would be added to the person you have claimed from. I  guess that is just too easy. Hopefully someone comes along and can offer you some decent advice.

If your judgement is over £600 including costs then you can move it straight to the high court  and obtain a writ against the debtor, the cost of this is roughly £75 + VAT.

Contact a sheriffs office and they will send you some forms ,very simple and then do the transfer for you, they will explain any other costs which may occur ,these are normally for searches etc.They will then attempt to recover your money.

There are no certainties when it comes to recovering money, your builder may go bankrupt, or they simply have no assets to sieze, but the Sheriffs officers will do their best to recover your money unlike the county court bailiffs who are pretty ineffective.

I cannot recommend a sheriffs office as my old partner sold his and other people i knew as managers in other companies have now left.
My old bailiff partner formed The Sheriffs office ,and sold it a couple of years ago,it's as good a place to contact ,here's their page, you can call them or do it online, if you call someone will chat to you and talk you through the process

I wish you luck.

https://thesheriffsoffice.com/

Please don't use a private recovery firm. My mother has despite protestations from myself and others around her - it has cost a her a bomb (around the £1k mark) and all that she is getting is a weekly update on the web with no view of anything being recovered - this has been going on for 6 weeks now and she is now looking to go down the path that @welsh1 has told you to do above which is what we told he to do once the judgement was awarded.

I was in a situation a few years ago where a tenant owed me a few £K. 

I took legal advice and it was quickly established that said tenant owed money to various places - including a significant amount to the Inland Revenue.  Advice was that unless the tennants assets were enough to cover the highest priority creditors (the Inland Revenue and possibly others) and have leftover that I might have a claim on - don't bother.  You need to know who any other possible creditors are and whether there are sufficient assets likely to be left after the highest priority people are paid.

In my case - it was not worthwhile and I had to bite the bullet and write of the debt.  The tenants assets were unlikely to cover the amount due to the Inland Revenue.

Cheers all and thanks for the link Welsh1.  There is a Sheriffs Office in the UK?  Who knew.

This guy has property and is still working and showing it all off on FaceBook, which is nice.

He is no longer on CheckaTrade due to our complaint and this annoys me a bit as it means people cannot see that he has a CCJ against him and offers no "service" to customers once the bill is paid.

He had no previous CCJs as we checked and I am intending to take this to the limit.  Sadly, as a gun, owner that limit is, well, limited.  Have to be squeaky clean,

RS

2 hours ago, RockySpears said:

Cheers all and thanks for the link Welsh1.  There is a Sheriffs Office in the UK?  Who knew.

This guy has property and is still working and showing it all off on FaceBook, which is nice.

He is no longer on CheckaTrade due to our complaint and this annoys me a bit as it means people cannot see that he has a CCJ against him and offers no "service" to customers once the bill is paid.

He had no previous CCJs as we checked and I am intending to take this to the limit.  Sadly, as a gun, owner that limit is, well, limited.  Have to be squeaky clean,

RS

I used a well recommended roofer from checkatrader, I then had to find another roofer to fix the original problem ,and to fix the damage that the checkatrader guy had caused. I certainly learned my lesson the hard way.

4 hours ago, RockySpears said:

RS

The Sheriffs in england and wales are different to the sheriffs in scotland, each sheriff has a county, my old boss was the sheriff of Northampton, and they used sheriffs officers  later known as high court enforcement officers to go out and enforce the high court orders on his or her behalf.
You will find that HCEO's are very persistent, and have a few tricks up their sleeves that county court bailiffs don't. 

21 hours ago, welsh1 said:

If your judgement is over £600 including costs then you can move it straight to the high court  and obtain a writ against the debtor, the cost of this is roughly £75 + VAT.

Contact a sheriffs office and they will send you some forms ,very simple and then do the transfer for you, they will explain any other costs which may occur ,these are normally for searches etc.They will then attempt to recover your money.

There are no certainties when it comes to recovering money, your builder may go bankrupt, or they simply have no assets to sieze, but the Sheriffs officers will do their best to recover your money unlike the county court bailiffs who are pretty ineffective.

I cannot recommend a sheriffs office as my old partner sold his and other people i knew as managers in other companies have now left.
My old bailiff partner formed The Sheriffs office ,and sold it a couple of years ago,it's as good a place to contact ,here's their page, you can call them or do it online, if you call someone will chat to you and talk you through the process

I wish you luck.

https://thesheriffsoffice.com/

hello, good post welsh 1 :good:

Unfortunately I had a bad experience with the Sheriff's as they were next to useless in my case. This is a while back so if they have different staff they may be better now.

Next time, if there is one I would try these, hope the link works.

https://dcbltd.com/debt-recovery/?mh_matchtype=e&mh_keyword=debt recovery&mh_adgroupid=18593551385&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukDUoflzEw6NI-UzAxM8U-j2eAxz70vQFc1Eh9ai-1bIPe4QGoZVLR8aAo0_EALw_wcB