Builders advice wanted

foxnet22

Any builders out there who could advise me on a dampness problem. I have noticed there is dampness developing  in interior lower walls behind front door and a foist type smell .could anyone  advise me on how to solve this and what materials I may need ..upon inspection I've noticed outside there is a soil patch next to front step would I dig this all out and fill with concrete. ?

im no builder

1. how old is the house
  2. has it a damp proof coarse
  3. if it has ...has someone not known what it is and raised the ground level with soil over it

the reason i say this is one half of my house was damp cause the muppet made his garden above the DPM....i dug it out and it took nearly a year to dry and get back to normal...

if it is an old house with no DPM...there is bound to be a builder on here to give you the answer :good:

Would have to look at your house in detail to say for sure but far more than 50% of alleged  "damp" is actually condensation. Older houses were never intended to be centrally heated or have air tight double glazing. They didn't expect people to have showers every day or run washing machines inside the house.

Instead they had one fire downstairs and drafty windows in cold unheated rooms throughout the rest of the house.

A coal fire in the front room would draw huge amounts of air through the house and send it up the chimney but it was ventilation. Something modern houses lack

Edited by Vince Green

• 1 month later...

Been in  building game for many years ,CHECK AIR BRICKS FRONT AND REAR, MAKE SURE NOT BLOCKED, IF NO AIR BRICKS IN HOUSE THEN YOU NEED TO PUT NEW ONES IN (EASY JOB) ALSO YOU NEED TO LIFT FLOOR BOARDS AND CHECK UNDER FLOORS, 9TIMES OUT OF 10 WILL BE **** PILED UP AGAINST INSIDE CAVITY WALL,DONE MY FRIENDS GOT 25 BAGS OF **** FROM UNDER FLOOR, GOT THAT BAD WE HAD TO RENEW MOST OF DOWNSTAIRS JOISTS AND FLOOR BOARDS hope this helps 

On 07/08/2019 at 19:09, foxnet22 said:

Any builders out there who could advise me on a dampness problem. I have noticed there is dampness developing  in interior lower walls behind front door and a foist type smell .could anyone  advise me on how to solve this and what materials I may need ..upon inspection I've noticed outside there is a soil patch next to front step would I dig this all out and fill with concrete. ?

I had an identical sounding problem in my house about 20 yrs ago . I put in an air brick , and replaced a very small patch of floor boarding , and it's been perfect ever since.

21 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Been in  building game for many years ,CHECK AIR BRICKS FRONT AND REAR, MAKE SURE NOT BLOCKED, IF NO AIR BRICKS IN HOUSE THEN YOU NEED TO PUT NEW ONES IN (EASY JOB) ALSO YOU NEED TO LIFT FLOOR BOARDS AND CHECK UNDER FLOORS, 9TIMES OUT OF 10 WILL BE **** PILED UP AGAINST INSIDE CAVITY WALL,DONE MY FRIENDS GOT 25 BAGS OF **** FROM UNDER FLOOR, GOT THAT BAD WE HAD TO RENEW MOST OF DOWNSTAIRS JOISTS AND FLOOR BOARDS hope this helps 

We’re Having an extension put on the back of our house at the moment. 1930s semi. The original plan was just to take the kitchen/diner floor up and replace with wet underfloor heating with the original room joined to the new. When the rear floor came up it was apparent that joists were rotten and Definitely needed replacing. I was amazed at the amount of rubbish that accumulated around the air bricks. Sadly the front room and hallway aren’t much better so I now have a house with no  Floating floors, they been taken back to the original concrete and will be replaced with 125mm of cellotex? I’m not that technical 🤷‍♂️ Covered with 75mm screed containing wet underfloor heating throughout the ground floor. 

what should have been a 4 month project will be at least 6 months. There isn’t much of the original house left! 

Edited by shalfordninja33