A bit wet!

Scully

A mate and me had a day out on the stubbles yesterday. I knew it wasn’t a good forecast but it was the only day I could make it this week. 

When I called for him it was already raining, but with my assurance we were only in line for a passing shower around lunchtime 😀we set up ( about 10am ) on a 28 acre field which was black and blue with crows and pigeon. 

We slowly but steadily ( the usual silly shots and easy shots missed ) got to about 20 before the rain came by, and following the rain we found their behaviour changed. There was still the occasion where small groups and solo birds would drop in, but the vast majority of birds would veer away ( especially crows ) for no apparent reason or skirt the pattern, and land on the far side, rather than commit, making us reach for shots. We thought it might be glare from wet deeks, so brought them in, using dead birds instead,  but it didn’t seem to make a lot of difference. 

Anyhow, had some spectacular long shots, amid the misses, and called it a day around 2pm with 43 in the bag, after growing cold after sitting through increasingly heavier showers! We were both soaked to the skin, but still smiling!

We should definitely have had more, but both of us are out of practise on pigeons, and neither of us shot particularly well. However, that’s my problem, and decoying is without doubt my favourite shooting discipline, and I wish I got the opportunity much more. It is the ultimate chillout in my opinion. 

What did surprise both of us, was the extent to which birds still flew and decoyed throughout all but the heaviest rain. 

7 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

When we shoot in the rain we always shake the real birds to take the water off the backs of the decoys as we have found that this will stop birds decoying. Well done for venturing out.

Good advice, and heeded. Thanks. 

I was aware of water ‘beading’ on dead birds, but didn’t give it another thought. Lesson learned. 👍

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Nice to see a report of an outing from you Scully. 

Thanks JDog. I only wish there were more outings to report!

There is a lot of lost grain on this field, so who knows, we may get another go before it’s turned over.

I did notice as we were packing up, that some of the surrounding stubble fields on an adjacent farm were thick with crows. With so much food around it’s not always easy to get them to return, as you’ll know. 

4 minutes ago, kenholland said:

I use a camo umbrella from angling direct, that should save you getting water on the brain scully.

🙂 I said to the OH as I undressed myself of clinging wet clothing, that I couldn’t think why, given I must have five hundred quids worth of waterproof clothing, I thought I’d get by in a tshirt and moleskins! I did have a waterproof hat and jacket, but the water ran down my neck and the back of my jacket to pool on my seat, which is also waterproof! This meant I was sat in a puddle, and each time I stood to take a shot, the water ( very cold water!) would run down the back of my legs and into the top of my boots! My wallet is still drying out in the airing cupboard! 

We have some good footage of each other hunched up ( but still smiling ) against the rain.

Cracking larl day! 🙂

12 minutes ago, aga man said:

I agree, nice to read a report from you Scully, thanks for posting and well shot:good:

Always good to read about any members report on there quest for pigeons , it don't have to be about big bags as not everyone can get good bags through no fault of there own , not every perm hold good numbers of pigeons and that is the same with the different counties , so whatever the bag size please let us know about them , your report will be well received .