A trio of Sgian-Dubh

Miroku_Dave

Finished up a trio of Sgian-Dubh for a mate who wanted them for his brothers for Christmas. 

They're 8670 steel with walnut handles and black/red/black G10 handles finished with a mosaic pin. 

They've been a pain in the rear from start to finish, I don’t think I’ll ever make another (until next time!) 

D7EAE204-87EB-45D9-ACD4-F5057649A067.jpeg

206558A3-E0D2-4C7A-AAFD-0D403D63B307.jpeg

C942E6C2-9FB5-4286-A9F3-AB43998E240A.jpeg

Edited by Miroku_Dave
Spelling!

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

I suspect, as they are a dress item, it is advisable to NOT have an edge

I thought that might be the case. You could imagine that they might at least get the pointy end made into some sort of useful multi tool, at the very least a bottle opener. 

10 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I suspect, as they are a dress item, it is advisable to NOT have an edge:D

Would they be legal without an edge, to carry in public ?

I understand it can be for religious reasons, but Im not sure on the Celtic side of things ?

Must be something going around, I have just made 2 of them!

Nice job on those, they look great.

Made a couple a few years ago for father in law and his brother and recently got asked to make another pair for their sons as gifts. Will post some pictures of the 2 new ones in a bit. 

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Would they be legal without an edge, to carry in public ?

I understand it can be for religious reasons, but Im not sure on the Celtic side of things ?

In Scotland it is a defence (ie in court) that you were carrying the knife as part of a national costume. The offence refers to a ‘pointed or bladed article’ so I don’t think having no sharp edge would make a difference as it would still be pointy. 

So you can still be arrested for carrying one, but common sense dictates that cops wouldn’t waste their time arresting you for wearing one. Unless you were doing something stupid with it I guess. 

Cheers all! 

They do have a bit of an edge but I ran it over a scotchbrite belt to dull it down a bit. I sourced some ready made leather sheaths just to ensure total safety! 

The chap is seriously chuffed with them, several others have asked me to make them but they will have to wait, I have too many other projects on the go! 

Next up is a glow in the dark, pink handled knife that I’m raffling off for a breast cancer charity as my wife has fought it a couple of times. 

I will put some more pics up when it’s done 👍

A9BB563C-C574-45A9-92A1-E2F685F5B02D.jpeg

9 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Cheers all! 

They do have a bit of an edge but I ran it over a scotchbrite belt to dull it down a bit. I sourced some ready made leather sheaths just to ensure total safety! 

The chap is seriously chuffed with them, several others have asked me to make them but they will have to wait, I have too many other projects on the go! 

Next up is a glow in the dark, pink handled knife that I’m raffling off for a breast cancer charity as my wife has fought it a couple of times. 

I will put some more pics up when it’s done 👍

A9BB563C-C574-45A9-92A1-E2F685F5B02D.jpeg

Be sure to let me know when the raffle tickets are on sale dave .👍.

On 11/08/2019 at 08:37, mel b3 said:

Be sure to let me know when the raffle tickets are on sale dave .👍.

Hi Mel, 

The knife is complete and tickets are now on sale!!

If you're on Facebook I have a group called 'Not The Sharpest Tool - Knife Maker'

All the details are on there mate 😊

17 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Hi Mel, 

The knife is complete and tickets are now on sale!!

If you're on Facebook I have a group called 'Not The Sharpest Tool - Knife Maker'

All the details are on there mate 😊

Cheers dave , I don't have Facebook so I'll get one of the kids to check it out for me mate 👍