When can I expect ducks?

PeterHenry

Hi All,

I've started feeding up a shallow pool at the begining of this week, after an aborted attempt at a far deeper, and unsuitable pool over the last few weeks. I've seen ducks in the same feild / marsh / bog before - but years ago, so I assume it's good for the job, especially as an old freind use to feed it up and get good bags from it. Regardless, it holds a plenty of Snipe and Jack Snipe, the former if which provide me with good sport.

I've set up an auto feeder, to spin 20 seconds worth of grain just after the sun go's down, and there are a couple of piles of grain lying about, after the cattle tried to get through the barrier fence we created to keep them out, and knocked it out through the hole in the base of the feeder - although they cant actually get into the feeder, or at the grain itself. So far, the trail cam I have set up has recorded plenty of images of grass and the duck feeder swaying in the wind, and also plenty of pictures of cows - but no ducks.

So my question is - and I know I'm being impatient - when, as a rule of thumb, do I get the ducks?

Some years ago I started feeding an irrigation pond (man made) it measured approximately 60 yards x 40 yards, it was around 6 feet deep in the middle and between 4 to 6 inches alone the margins, I emptied two or three bags of barley along the margins at the beginning of August, now in all the years I had shot this farm I had only seen a couple of ducks on it but thought I would give it a go.

The pond had very little vegetation around it and no signs of pond weed, after about two weeks of watching nothing, no signs of muddy water or duck feathers, I carried on watching and after the third week I had a early morning walk, on approaching the pond three mallard lifted, I could see some signs of ducks feeding, I did not look at the pond for about a week, on my next visit six mallard lifted, I could see that the barley had gone down so put a couple more bags in, the next evening I sat in the car and watched, I counted 30 mallard coming in, it was now the 1 September but I decided not to shoot the pond and carried on feeding for the next two weeks, during this two week period I watched the numbers grow, some nights the pond was pulling 100 plus ducks, mainly mallard and a few teal.

You only need a couple of ducks to find the food and its surprising how quickly other birds follow them, there is no guarantee you will pull any ducks but from your description I think you have a good chance, just a matter of time for the first ducks to find your pond and food source.

Good luck.