EELL or what?

rimfire4969

I have had a thing for a EELL for a while and have decided that when one comes along at the right place and right money I will scratch the itch 2nd hand. But is there something else you would buy instead of a EELL. The gun would need to be steel proofed so does count out some of the older guns. 

do not have them any longer, lot of money tied up in them so sold them due to health warnings, didn't want my executors lumbered, https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/325467-beretta-factory-matched-pair-classic-eell-12-gauge/?tab=comments#comment-2948229

lovely to shoot, they were sorely missed, nothing shot like those, so was on the lookout for another and found a EELL sporter for the right price, use it for game shooting, it is good to shoot but not quite as good as the pair,

try one, you need to shoot one to see if its for you,

This may not apply as it boils down to personal preference but also intended use. I had a EELL which was bought for hide pigeon shooting in the main. Because of my preferences it was somewhat of a special order. Turned out to my mind to be somewhat of a canon, but fine if you're chucking out 32g and up consistently. Now use the same spec which fell within the standard no cost options and is perfect for my needs plus good for 30g and occasional 32g+ and is a Chapuis. Appreciate it won't suit everyone and it does require some thinking out of the box, but well worthy of consideration.

You absolutely have to be an EELL lover to spend that kind of money on what is really a tarted up base model Beretta. The EELL has sideplates, hand finished laser engraving from the Giovanelli studio, usually nice oiled woodwork with 26 lpi chequering, a nice case and some spares.

Quite honestly you can have exactly that spec plus outstanding ballistics and fully adjustable triggers with superb quality pulls for a lot less money with a Guerini Apex or Invictus V.

I know 1-2 ex demo 30” game models for less than 3.8k and what could be described as new.

Its a small shop near me where the owner buys them, uses them for a bit and then sells.

Don't imagine even a thousand cartridges have gone through them. 

One is a scroll and the other a game scene.

He’s also got a lovely B4 B25 30” sporter for the same money

If you want one get one only guns I regret are the ones I didn’t buy 

personally think the older ones were better made 

I’ve got one in 20 bore 😊

although other options are browning heritage or if you can find one mirouke sp110 

As said try before you buy as there is great variation in how they feel barrel length and fixed or multi choke 

or even save up a bit more and get a SO 😊

all the best 

of 

27 minutes ago, dodeer said:

I know 1-2 ex demo 30” game models for less than 3.8k and what could be described as new.

Its a small shop near me where the owner buys them, uses them for a bit and then sells.

B4 every time. If you love it of course!

If you want a EELL get one, as OF said and as I have found out to my cost buying an alternative never quite scratches the itch and you end up buying what you should have done in the first place!

Couple of nice ones on Freeads

I keep looking at the DT10L as I'm not a fan of sideplates, but they are are beautiful gun

I bought a brand new EELL game gun in 1990, used it but didn't like it - so I part exchanged it for a Browning B125 'C' Grade Game which I used for 27 years, I then part exchange the B125 for a new Browning 525 with grade 3 woodwork.........I love Browning's!

Edited by browning123

5 hours ago, dodeer said:

Give me a clue please.

6 hours ago, Westward said:

You absolutely have to be an EELL lover to spend that kind of money on what is really a tarted up base model Beretta. The EELL has sideplates, hand finished laser engraving from the Giovanelli studio, usually nice oiled woodwork with 26 lpi chequering, a nice case and some spares.

Quite honestly you can have exactly that spec plus outstanding ballistics and fully adjustable triggers with superb quality pulls for a lot less money with a Guerini Apex or Invictus V.

This. A mate has an SO something or other. I’m not a Beretta fan, as I think the base models ( from the 686 series up to and including the EELL models ) are plug ugly, but it is a gorgeous gun and one I would be happy to own. 

I too think they're over priced for a 68 series gun. The 687 grade four and five are as much as I'd pay in that range.

Some EELL are nice to look at though.  I think I would look at the Ceasar Guierini game range before buying one. Also the new Browning Crown or Heritage sporter used.

I think this sector of guns is expensive for what are fancy looking base model guns. Not as many options as you first think either. Especially when you want steel proof barrels, rules out a lot of the older more  reasonable price guns.  Now a nice SO is a different beast, lovely to look at and handle but not cheap. Nice dilemma to have.

Edited by figgy

I have had a EELL and now have a Browning Crown, the Crown is the better made gun.  I also own a 725 20 Bore UK Hunter and had no qualms buying the Crown as an addition, it's a joy to own.  Its just the same with cars they all do the same job yet people like Leather, Air Con, Sat Nav etc and pay more for the privelige.  If you want it and can afford it then why not, you can't take it with you. 

There is really much better value to be had in some of the 'less popular' names.  A long time ago now, I saved for years and bought an SO6 (the plain one, not EELL) - I had wanted one for ages and loved it - but despite having it fitted, I have not shot consistently well with it (though it has had some great days).

Much later I bought a sidelock Merkel - quite old, but of a similar 'quality' to the SO, but as a used example, mush less costly ............ and I shoot much better with it.

It may be worth you looking around at other 'delux grade' guns.  I know that it isn't everyone's cup of tea - and nice wood and engraving does nothing for the shooting - but I do like it myself.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is really much better value to be had in some of the 'less popular' names.  A long time ago now, I saved for years and bought an SO6 (the plain one, not EELL) - I had wanted one for ages and loved it - but despite having it fitted, I have not shot consistently well with it (though it has had some great days).

Much later I bought a sidelock Merkel - quite old, but of a similar 'quality' to the SO, but as a used example, mush less costly ............ and I shoot much better with it.It may be worth you looking around at other 'delux grade' guns.  I know that it isn't everyone's cup of tea - and nice wood and engraving does nothing for the shooting - but I do like it myself.

Merkel, superb guns.

Many people don't actually buy a gun so much or, indeed, what they would really like, as much as buying an investment with the largely misguided idea of securing a high resale value. On the grounds that it's exceedingly rare to get anywhere near what you think your pride and joy is worth when you come to sell it and you are able get such nonsense out of your head, that you can relax and perhaps then get what you'd really like. And if you get it right, you won't be selling it any time soon anyway so the residual value - or not as the case might be - is academic.

I love the look of the new DT11 EELL, so totally understand where you are coming from. The day i have £15k spare for a new gun i may invest in one. Some will say i would be better investing in a Krieghoff etc. Unfortunately, no matter what you spend your money on, there is always the possibility of getting a lemon. Just take the current Blaser shotgun line, their embossing has been a disaster and its a £4k gun. 

27 minutes ago, figgy said:

Don't buy as a investment, a new model brought out could harm the price.  Buying new is never a good investment. 

Buy because you like it and want to have it.

There we go, sorted. We've got shot of that subconscious input called residual value which offers distraction from buying what you'd really like - which, naturally, may just happen to be what not too many others might also like and which can cause a problem if you let it. Buy what you really like and hang on to it, no problem. Yep, sometimes it doesn't work out quite as envisaged - me and my EELL for example - but that's all part of life from which we learn. Even on a "main stream" gun I lost out having had to buy new to get what I wanted and then traded it in having learned my lesson.

Good luck Rimfire, hope you find a good 'un

In my opinion, buying as an investment means it doesn’t get used, but is kept ‘as is’ so it doesn’t depreciate in value. The only thing I buy as an investments is art; you hang it in your wall and can appreciate it at a glance, and it not only retains its value but increase if you buy right.

A mate has a lot of expensive firearms which he has the joy of owning but not the joy of using, as he’s terrified they get marked....same goes for his Ltd edition Defender sat on his drive. 😳

If you like Berettas, I'd suggest an old (late 60s-80s) SO3 EELL. Imho one of the best gun ever made with beautiful hand made engravings. Probably, around 10K you can find a mint one.

I might be biased tho (I'm from Italy...😁)

11 hours ago, Docleo said:

If you like Berettas, I'd suggest an old (late 60s-80s) SO3 EELL. Imho one of the best gun ever made with beautiful hand made engravings. Probably, around 10K you can find a mint one.

I might be biased tho (I'm from Italy...😁)

I don’t disagree but this gun will be used on pigeon, pheasant, duck, rabbit you name it (legal quarry) and I will shoot at it. I have one farm i shoot a lot of pigeons at only allow non toxic over their crops and obviously with wildfowl it’s also non toxic. Yes I could use bismuth but that’s very expensive when you are decoying pigeon. So it needs to be steel proofed.