Any electricians

SpringDon

Just a easy (hopefully) regs question as I can’t seem to find the relevant bits.

i want to put a cooker point and I can get to the place where the switch and output box go but can’t channel the wall for the cable without major dismantling.

Is it legal to channel the cable the otherside of the wall (single block) and poke the cable through to the pattress  ones in the kitchen? Seems dodgy to me but not sure why.

Firstly forget the legal bit

the regs are not statute Law so non compliance cannot be illegal , it can only be "non compliant" with Regs which are a code of practice 

running on opposite side of a wall is allowable in very rare circumstances, BUt isn't a good idea

as said before all cables should run horizontally or vertically between accessories unless run in earthed steel,conduit, SWA or a really really expensive BS 8436?? Cable. Cables can also be run n safe zones as defined in the regs....easier to,Google safe zones than me try to explain it.  my Online regs book is sulking at moment but I will try and post the page later on

can you not relocate the isolator ?

56 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Firstly forget the legal bit

the regs are not statute Law so non compliance cannot be illegal , it can only be "non compliant" with Regs which are a code of practice 

running on opposite side of a wall is allowable in very rare circumstances, BUt isn't a good idea

as said before all cables should run horizontally or vertically between accessories unless run in earthed steel,conduit, SWA or a really really expensive BS 8436?? Cable. Cables can also be run n safe zones as defined in the regs....easier to,Google safe zones than me try to explain it.  my Online regs book is sulking at moment but I will try and post the page later on

can you not relocate the isolator ?

Thanks, found it now I know it’s a safe zone.

Switch has to be left or right of the cooker and with in 2’. As I read it, it could run the otherside of the wall if the wall was less than 100mm as the safe zone extends both side of the wall. But my wall is 120mm....

5 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

I believe if you run down back of wall to oven switch then pop through wall to rear of oven it is both acceptable and safer as the isolating switch is not behind the appliance.

Agreed - that is how mine was done.  The electrician who did it said it is quite in order.  My cooker has a large glass 'splashback' that prevents the switch being on the same side.  It cannot go either side of the splashback as door one side, sink the other.