Ghost fox

walshie

I reckon we've seen a ghost fox. :laugh: We went out after a few foxes last night and had a decent night. 4 decent sized vixen cubs and an adult dog between us. A couple of them were covered in ticks. 

We've seen this "ghost fox" before and he/she/it was there last night too. It taunts us by tracking alongside us, but never offering a safe shot. Under the lamp we can both see it clear as day and each time we try to track it to somewhere where we can take a shot, it's not visible through the thermal. Light it up - there. Thermal - not there.

Now either it's coincidence that every time we look through the thermal it ducks behind a tree at that exact moment, and reappears when it sees the lamp, or...... ghost fox!  👻

Foxes do climb trees .. Had a couple of dens on my permissions where the only entrance was via a hole at at least my head height (I'm 6'4")  in a rotten-cored willow. They had got down the rotten pith of the tree and found it to be easy to dig out. Only one of the trees had a fallen branch wedged in it to make a ramp for easy access. The other was a good jump of about 5 feet before the fox could have a good foothold on anything other than the bark of the trunk.

On 08/08/2019 at 14:48, bumpy22 said:

You want to think yourself lucky we had a certain person claim to keep seeing them in trees. I suspect he had been at the beer. but I have met him and nothing surprises me with him🤔😂

:lol: I didnt notice whether it was wearing a white sheet like Walshies fox :lol:

On 08/08/2019 at 13:38, walshie said:

I reckon we've seen a ghost fox. :laugh: We went out after a few foxes last night and had a decent night. 4 decent sized vixen cubs and an adult dog between us. A couple of them were covered in ticks. 

We've seen this "ghost fox" before and he/she/it was there last night too. It taunts us by tracking alongside us, but never offering a safe shot. Under the lamp we can both see it clear as day and each time we try to track it to somewhere where we can take a shot, it's not visible through the thermal. Light it up - there. Thermal - not there.

Now either it's coincidence that every time we look through the thermal it ducks behind a tree at that exact moment, and reappears when it sees the lamp, or...... ghost fox!  👻

I think the best bet is for all members of the shooting party to stop drinking before going out :lol: