Sign in to follow this  
Trenta

Pigeon Lofting Hooks

Hi Guys, 

I know we are in the wrong season, but can someone tell me (or post a picture) how pigeon lofting hooks work?  I know they are supposed to hang from the trees, but how is the decoy (or dead bird) attached?

Thanks in advance

Trenta

7 minutes ago, Trenta said:

Hi Guys, 

I know we are in the wrong season, but can someone tell me (or post a picture) how pigeon lofting hooks work?  I know they are supposed to hang from the trees, but how is the decoy (or dead bird) attached?

Thanks in advance

Trenta

The hooks have a 'spike' above where it hangs on the branch. These attach to the body of the decoy. These are not meant for dead birds.

Cheers Steve - are these for full bodied (I guess??) or shell decoys, or is there a specific decoy to use with them?

30 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

The hooks have a 'spike' above where it hangs on the branch. These attach to the body of the decoy. These are not meant for dead birds.

Capture.JPG.af43eba2b3844e47ef6067082d8e6e9e.JPG

1 hour ago, Trenta said:

Cheers Steve - are these for full bodied (I guess??) or shell decoys, or is there a specific decoy to use with them?

Full bodied. With some of mine, I just made a hole in them to attach to the hangers.

A few things about lofting, from my experience...

Firstly you don't have to spend a fortune on decoys, the cheaper plastic ones seem to work just as well as the more expensive flocked ones. My experiences are from using them for flighting/roosting during the early months of the year though, so it might be different in other applications.

The spike on top of the hook which goes through the decoy might not be long enough for the pre-made holes in the decoy, in which case select the correct size drill bit for a tight fit and make your own holes allowing about an inch of the hook protruding out of the top of the decoy.  Obviously keep it sitting reasonably level when mounted on the hook.

I mount the decoys on the hooks and then push about an inch of plastic tubing onto the end of the spike to lock the decoy in place.  Home-brewing syphon tubing from Wilko's, a home-brewing shop, or eBay, gives a tight fit on the spikes I've got (might need to dip the tube in hot water first to get it on).  The reason for locking them on is you'll very often lose the decoy off the hook when mounting/retrieving them if they're not securely fastened.

I've never used lofting poles sold by pigeon shooting suppliers, because I have some old sections of carbon fibre fishing poles which I have mackled together to give me about a 12m reach up into the trees.

On the end of my pole I gaffa taped a 1 gallon bottle like the one below, upside down with the bottom cut off, lid still attached

1-gallon-hdpe-jug-with-38mm-child-safety

This lets you both mount the decoy and retrieve it.  I suppose anything a similar shape would work.  It's a bit cumbersome, I should probably innovate something better but I sort of make it work..

Always have your gun safely on standby when setting up as you very often get a customer before you're even settled in to your shooting position!

Probably a million more things I could say but to avoid boring everyone I'll leave it there!

Posted (edited)

there must be many ways of doing it, I used to use the rubber full bodied decoys "flexicoys" which have a recess underneath which will accept the lofting pole. I'd make a hook from a wire coat hanger and suspend them from the branches, the weight of the heavy rubber was enough to keep them stable and they work a treat!

Although they are effective I rarely bother these days because of the fiddle factor, perhaps I should have another go.

p.s. I was doing it on the cheap, my "lofting pole" was made of three long bamboo canes taped together and extended using another three with more tape

Capture.JPG.f8deb0f16e51e78def600fe24bfe1a4f.JPG

Edited by martinj