Greylag geese

panoma1

I read that SNH have for the first time, authorised Geese (Greylag) shot on Orkney, to be sold all over Scotland! So for the first time diners in places like Glasgow, Edinburgh etc will be able to order goose meat dishes off a restaurant menu!

Up until now it has been illegal to sell or barter wild geese anywhere in the UK......except recently in Orkney, via authorised sellers!

I imagine the protectionists will be apoplectic! Lol!

11 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Old news l’m afraid, l bought this subject up ages ago and the replies from the lslands were very informative .

I must have missed that! Strange as I have done an internet search, and the earliest reference I can find for what I've posted is 7 August 2019! (Two days ago!) 

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I read that SNH have for the first time, authorised Geese (Greylag) shot on Orkney, to be sold all over Scotland! So for the first time diners in places like Glasgow, Edinburgh etc will be able to order goose meat dishes off a restaurant menu!

Up until now it has been illegal to sell or barter wild geese anywhere in the UK......except recently in Orkney, via authorised sellers!

I imagine the protectionists will be apoplectic! Lol!

How will the provenance of the meat be proofed? What is to stop someone selling breasted out Pinks shot elsewhere, as Orkney Greys?

3 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Hebrides News.

26th June bit further down the Wildfowl page 😏

Was that not about the cull, and allowing the culled geese to be sold locally (on the island/in the islands) rather than SNH extending this and now allowing the sale of Orkney Greylag goose meat throughout Scotland?......

6 minutes ago, greenshank1 said:

This is new today.

Hopefully in time it will be rolled out across Scotland. 

Do you think that this should also include Pinks, then? I know numbers are up and that has been the trend for years, but would it not lead to the unscrupulous taking massive bags; more so than happens on the odd occasion, now? 

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

How will the provenance of the meat be proofed? What is to stop someone selling breasted out Pinks shot elsewhere, as Orkney Greys?

Very good points. The scheme here allows those guns that have been approved by SNH to pass on goose meat to businesses etc. records are kept concerning numbers. Usually the bird/s  are given freely and in feather. there is a very limited demand TBH.  Should geese be shot for money ?  another can of worms...:unhappy:

6 hours ago, Penelope said:

Do you think that this should also include Pinks, then? I know numbers are up and that has been the trend for years, but would it not lead to the unscrupulous taking massive bags; more so than happens on the odd occasion, now? 

Not sure about Pinks , as I am on the west coast. 

In time i think it will  be rolled out , that wild goose meat can be sold across Scotland . The farming community on the west coast and Hebrides are making a big noise about loss of grazing and silage and to be fair the damage is pretty bad in places.

The unscrupulous are already already taking massive bags with no outlet , so authorising the sale of wild goose meat ,  would resolve the issue and ensure a market for the meat.