Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jacko3275

First solo shoot

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

jacko i have no need to do that,i get loads of shooting both local,and on nppc ground,and i have met many of the farmers out there as well.

I get the impression you are a very helpful type of person and if I remember rightly you have got a problem with one of your legs , if that is the case by pairing up you could be helping each other , with fuel costs , your knowledge of the different fields you can shoot over and maybe help ( if needed ) in carrying some of your gear , All the very best  MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, lots of good advice, pigeons will most fly into the wind so you need the wind behind you, although its not always the case,   if your hide at G will be off handed, under the wood tree line in left hand corner ? , what goes one day might not another so get there  earlyish and wait and watch, it might pay to put a hide in the field, thats pigeon shooting for you, good luck, this may help also, Pigeon Shooting by Archie Coats book, my bible  when i started many many years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I get the impression you are a very helpful type of person and if I remember rightly you have got a problem with one of your legs , if that is the case by pairing up you could be helping each other , with fuel costs , your knowledge of the different fields you can shoot over and maybe help ( if needed ) in carrying some of your gear , All the very best  MM

quite right marshman had left leg amputated 47 years ago,am 70 in nov,and allways willing to help anyone,i dont need to poach jackos day,im an avid fan of how nppc works,i have loads of farmers fone no,s to speak direct to them if need be,thats purely because i will go out at short notice on pig/crows and mostly weekdays when others cant cover the job.it was agenuine offer but i wont offer advice again jacko obviously dont need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m hoping it ain’t shot the day before ( that’s why I ain’t told Hawk Fans) 👍and I only have  half shell decoys one of which I have made some wings for to turn in to a floater  I’m a total novice at this apart from the 3 day tuition off of jdog who is a full of knowledge so hopefully enough to get me on my way

Reading some of Hawk Fans posts I get the impression he would not do the dirty on you and book it for Saturday, well I hope he wouldn’t, other members may have spotted this field and booked it for Saturday, fingers crossed they haven’t, but there’s one thing against you…rain, pigeons don’t seem to like rape seed when it start to sprout, had many a promising rape stubble field spoiled by rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

quite right marshman had left leg amputated 47 years ago,am 70 in nov,and allways willing to help anyone,i dont need to poach jackos day,im an avid fan of how nppc works,i have loads of farmers fone no,s to speak direct to them if need be,thats purely because i will go out at short notice on pig/crows and mostly weekdays when others cant cover the job.it was agenuine offer but i wont offer advice again jacko obviously dont need it.

Don’t be to hard on him, he’s a novice/new to this game and perhaps a little possessive of his first solo outing and this field, think we have all been there in our younger days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

jacko i have no need to do that,i get loads of shooting both local,and on nppc ground,and i have met many of the farmers out there as well.

I was joking I said it tongue in cheek but if you took it the wrong way I apologise 

Edited by Jacko3275

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a tip when you get there on Sunday, spend 20 minutes watching the field before you set up to see where you need to be.  Have a smoke and a coffee or something.

The birds tend to move about as they fancy and I'm sure it all depends on the first one out the tree in the morning feels like that day and nothing more.

Probably the most important 20 minutes of the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

QUESTION

how many birds flying on the same line in one hour , constitutes a flightline ?

  1. 10
  2. 20
  3. 30
  4. 40
  5. 50

:hmm:???

Edited by ditchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Here's a tip when you get there on Sunday, spend 20 minutes watching the field before you set up to see where you need to be.  Have a smoke and a coffee or something.

The birds tend to move about as they fancy and I'm sure it all depends on the first one out the tree in the morning feels like that day and nothing more.

Probably the most important 20 minutes of the day. 

Will do

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

QUESTION

how many birds flying on the same line in one hours , constitutes a flightline ?

  1. 10
  2. 20
  3. 30
  4. 40
  5. 50

:hmm:???

I’ll guess at 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

QUESTION

how many birds flying on the same line in one hour , constitutes a flightline ?

  1. 10
  2. 20
  3. 30
  4. 40
  5. 50

:hmm:???

I'd take 1 every 5 mins if it's regular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Will do

I’ll guess at 10

Here’s another tip, after you watch it for 20-30 minutes drive all around the field, stop a few times and get out and clap them off the field and trees, I would also stop and clap them out of the big wood at the top of your picture, then drive back to an advantage point and watch.

This is all assuming there are birds on the field and in the wood and surrounding trees, if there are a lot of birds on the field don’t be tempted to let the gun off to get them moving.

Edited by old'un

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I was joking I said it tongue in cheek but if you took it the wrong way I apologise 

accepted jacko but i was trying to be helpfull,i may know the ground,but i may not,leet us know how the day goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

accepted jacko but i was trying to be helpfull,i may know the ground,but i may not,leet us know how the day goes.

It’s In Darrington Pontefract and will 

Edited by Jacko3275

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

If by any chance I get a big bag who do I flog them to

Keep as many of them as you want for yourself for eating / future decoys , give some to family & friends , if you've a local game dealer give them a ring to see if they are buying any. Or if your on facebook search " giving up the game" it's a group that offers up free game meat or if you want to charge to cover the cost of your cartridges etc you can do. Or if they are shot with steel shot offer them to falconry centres 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breast them out and freeze. I make mine into sausages and burgers. Pies, stews and nice salads aren't bad either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, old'un said:

No news of the day then, must be still picking up or shooting.

On a new thread titled well I did it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...