Nematodes for slugs?

Dave-G

I just disposed of my sixth summer attempt at growing spuds in the borders around my small rear lawn. Every time I've tried I find small holes and brown discolouration in them. Not sure if its wireworm/click beetle or slugs going by conflicting Google results - likely posted to improve sales of something.

I can't use slug pellets because we have a dog that likes to sample everything in the garden and have found there are Nematodes for both - but the price of the treatment might render it just as well to buy all our veg instead of the soul destroying bad results.

This year I have only tried a small patch in the borders and done most of it in containers - which I'm about to draw from. I've done this due to reading that its not good growing vegetables around grass. I've similar issues with carrots. I'm now growing carrots in deep containers which of course adds to their cost.

Any thoughts from garden growers on here?

Edited by Dave-G

you can grow your own nematodes ! have a google ,  I read about it on a forum  (could have been grow your own forum)  it was easy to get started ,get some slugs and put em in a bucket with some water and a island of greens and leave them to it, but your best bet is Google .

Hey - thanks chaps. I'll be out there in a bit to gather some slugs in a small bucket to start it off. :good:

I now make my own grass and leaf compost, collected from a small gardening round I do - any thoughts about sprinkling the nematodes into it?

I've been leaving the spuds every other year to let the soil rest a bit but I doubt I'll ever try spuds in the ground again. I have loads of compost and dog food bags to to use as growbags..

Edited by Dave-G