pizza oven

islandgun

If you want to cook just one pizza, it might take a while to heat up. 

My friend has an add-on for his gas BBQ and it cooks them very well in the matter of minutes.

It's a great idea for a project though - you might have to invite a few friends around!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Brick-Oven-Building-baking/dp/190494325X

Hi,

I have one I built years ago, built using some ideas from the following book. Used normal solid clay bricks halved, dome is approx 1m rendered and then re bricked with slips over the top for effect.

Not only Pizza but roasts too, use it for cold smoking along with a small smoke generator. 

It's a nice project to have a go at but does take some time and effort but results are well worth it.

Cheers

J

Your Brick Oven: Building It and Baking in It Russell Jeavons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ggDFNaGQc

Thanks for answers folks, I have that book jloc some great ideas there, the above vid although a bit long looks to be a very good way of building one.  

It is my intention [has been for years] to have a pizza oven fuelled by our own SRC willow, it would be an occasional add- on to our existing bakery business.  at the least it should be interesting, if not a money earner

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ggDFNaGQc

Thanks for answers folks, I have that book jloc some great ideas there, the above vid although a bit long looks to be a very good way of building one.  

It is my intention [has been for years] to have a pizza oven fuelled by our own SRC willow, it would be an occasional add- on to our existing bakery business.  at the least it should be interesting, if not a money earner

hello, sounds a good idea but i just do not like pizza, now a fresh baked loaf :good: will add to all your other jobs when the holiday people visit, i am sure many Islanders will be interested,  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I built a small one if you want to do pizza in it just a clay one is fine if you want it to stay hot for a while it’s al about insulation I work in the refractories industry making concrete for lining furnaces ladles etc etc so I got all my own stuff to line and insulate mine free.. I can warm it up in a couple of hours have pizza then cook dinner in it the next day but that’s all I need if it was bigger I could keep it warm for a week... but the pizzas are the best you’ll  have  we use a pizza ready flour called mc doughalls or something like that it’s a just add water but nice and saves a lot of prep

Edited by Jacko3275

build it out of brick cover it with mud or concrete..........wood fire inside until searing hot...............stuff the bloody pizzas ...wrap lamb in baco foil...or do the same for fish........:good:

leave a few smokey embers/ash in whilst cooking.....and when you stuff it in block the hole up.........

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

build it out of brick cover it with mud or concrete..........wood fire inside until searing hot...............stuff the bloody pizzas ...wrap lamb in baco foil...or do the same for fish........:good:

leave a few smokey embers/ash in whilst cooking.....and when you stuff it in block the hole up.........

Personally owt but ash as I think it’s bitter better with apple or oak it all depends on the depth of smoke you want really I’m just smoking some pork shoulder a with oak at the min

image.jpg

Edited by Jacko3275

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im orn my way boi...........:lol:

Its been on five hours so another hour then an hour at least resting so that should give you time to drive up to Yorkshire ...just fetch a Roll of your choice am on ciabatta . 

Edited by Jacko3275

3 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Its been on five hours so another hour then an hour at least resting so that should give you time to drive up to Yorkshire ...just fetch a Roll of your choice am on ciabatta . 

sounds delightful. bit of mustard and a pickled onion or two..:good:

You need alumina cement and use vermiculite it’s cheaper 

1 hour ago, lister22 said:

I made one using perlite and cement plywood board and exercise ball method

works great 

Will use foundry cement  next time because it can take higher temps than Portland cement but in costs more

Edited by Jacko3275

I have one, but bought from Gozney ovens rather than built.  It is a fantastic thing, not very spontaneous granted, but then again neither is proving a pizza dough.

Beyond the obvious making of pizzas I use mine for loads of stuff from low and slow roasts to searing hot flash fried steaks cooked on the oven floor. Lots of different bread bakes too.

15 hours ago, lister22 said:

I made one using perlite and cement plywood board and exercise ball method

works great 

Will use foundry cement  next time because it can take higher temps than Portland cement but in costs more

14 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

You need alumina cement and use vermiculite it’s cheaper 

Do you know where these cements are available ? also did you use normal clay bricks,, cheers

If you make it the right size and shape like the Italians do, you can use as a bread oven.  I personally love wood fired oven cooked pizza and foods. A few local food places are using them. Bread out of them has a crust and taste like no other oven baked bread. 

If you have a bread business you could bake your bread and pizzas at same time.

10 hours ago, islandgun said:

Do you know where these cements are available ? also did you use normal clay bricks,, cheers

Just google secar 71 & 51 or cement fondue and see if there are any place near you that sell them as for foundry cement look for something call Qset 45

Once u have built it and start to use it do what we do .we ciok our piza ect sometimes 10 of them lol family round ect then when ur all dine gookin piza we use it as a bread oven instead of it coling down empty thow a loaf or 3 in 👍