Wildfowling Jacket

Cornishfowler

My go to is a Herters wader jacket from Cabela's. Light warm with pockets where you need them and totally waterproof. 

I must have ten different jackets, most are either not waterproof or as good as a bin bag you sweat too much in them.

How much walking will you be doing.

The Drake wildfowling gear that widgeon man is selling is good stuff so is the Browning jackets. I hate the ridge line Pintail smock I have, if it was a jacket would be good to open to let air through, hence it's a sodding bin bag with hole for your head.

Edited by figgy

• 3 months later...

This last month or more of rain, has took its toll, i got by but sick of soggy clothing and damp shoulders etc, its as figgy says either down to seeping in or condensation erc from long walks in.

I got few coats i get by with, but where rain is concerned i end up not soaked but soggy.:lol:

Not one of them is perfect, if its not 1 thing its another.

freezing Cold light blusterey rain and wind  i an ok can stand any amount of cold in a cabelas waterfowl 4x parkka,

For a lightweight  jacket showers  early season a drake jacket  will take showers for a hour or so.

and as a general and a bit colder and rain Rivers west eider which is good but hot long walk in and no way as warm as the parkka as expected.

but re rain it nearly gets the job done, but not quite there  this torrential rain, i have to wear  ex Army gortex DPM outer shell over to stand a chance of staying  properly dry .  The  one garment is just not doing it for me, and everything seems to fail  in one way or another.

I do not know what to buy. anybody any ideas.?

11 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

If you aren’t bothered about cammo you will not better the Austrian military goretex jackets at £45quid or so grade 1.

I am ok for gortex and could wear anything under British army gortex shell, but to just put a jacket on that works without anything else would be nice.

Had all sorts over the years columbia filssons sports chief. pro logic .

Hertters cabellas. and the cabelas is warm but not heavy rain proof you end up soggy and jacket drip drying . rivers west is pretty good to be fair, but not 100%

American forums like dirty bird jackets but no idea what they are like never seen one over here.

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I am ok for gortex and could wear anything under British army gortex shell, but to just put a jacket on that works without anything else would be nice.

Hertters cabellas. and the cabelas is warm but not heavy rain proof you end up soggy and jacket drip drying . rivers west is pretty good to be fair, but not 100%

American forums like dirty bird jackets but no idea what they are like never seen one over here.

I always layer up as it can be a good walk out so unless it’s raining the coat only goes on when I get in position. The goretex works a treat. If really cold I have a 25 year old thinsulate goretex Remington jacket. Still as good now as when I bought it.

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I always layer up as it can be a good walk out so unless it’s raining the coat only goes on when I get in position. The goretex works a treat. If really cold I have a 25 year old thinsulate goretex Remington jacket. Still as good now as when I bought it.

This is the trouble its been that wet its a long walk some places, and your dressed to start with and not much chance of ventlating your gear in all the rain, so you get hot or go in lightly insulated only to sit there wishing you had more insulation on.

I did pretty good with the light drake jacket a Fishing vest/ body warmer and the army gortex shell. left the jacket and vest unfastened under the cortex i got in position after the walk in  fairly comfortable and just fastening up  jacket and vest was warn as toast. Used same set up next morning and was cold at dawn.

Could be overthinking thois its not going to rain like this forever we might get just freezing cold and typical blustery showers then i am more than covered, but struggling for right set up for this heavy rain .

8 hours ago, lancer425 said:

This is the trouble its been that wet its a long walk some places, and your dressed to start with and not much chance of ventlating your gear in all the rain, so you get hot or go in lightly insulated only to sit there wishing you had more insulation on.

I did pretty good with the light drake jacket a Fishing vest/ body warmer and the army gortex shell. left the jacket and vest unfastened under the cortex i got in position after the walk in  fairly comfortable and just fastening up  jacket and vest was warn as toast. Used same set up next morning and was cold at dawn.

Could be overthinking thois its not going to rain like this forever we might get just freezing cold and typical blustery showers then i am more than covered, but struggling for right set up for this heavy rain .

If it’s warm but wet again I have the other layers in my wildfowl rucksack and put them on when I get to my spot. Here in Scotland we have had relatively dry weather compared to the south and little hard weather. For that reason my wildfowling season has been pretty poor so far.

in sunny wales a t shirt a jumper a fleece an insulated army coat of some sort and a gortex over top if it lashing down. Have been out when its smashing it down and blowing a gale. Get damp maybe but don't notice it until i am home. Shed a layer or two if its dry. If I went out and spent 200 quid on a coat the wife would kill me

Edited by captainhastings

I like a Buffalo Mountain shirt with a cheap army single layer goretex  [British/german] over it,  I wear a light, thermal short or sleeveless base layer under the Buffalo all very light and non restrictive, i also tuck the buffalo shirt into german army chest over trousers and thigh boots, does the job up here

Not sure,, I have 2 of the Special forces smocks and a parka,, none of them have any labels that show any numbering 

the belay SF smocks are brilliant as they have a dual layer system which is extremely breathable and comfortable,, I use the parka on warmer days as this hasn’t a lining but is extremely waterproof as is the smocks ...... best bit off kit I have ever bought for the marsh and have used only one off the smocks for the last 4 seasons and it hasn’t let me down (the other is a spare just in case they ever stop making them) 

On 28/11/2019 at 21:56, lancer425 said:

Kobuk neoprene wading jacket over waist or chesties. The rain will not get in, but not much good for the walk out as you sweat like a pig!