Extinction rebellion and vegans hold hands

islandgun

45 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Does she not also tick the disabled box too?

Didn't want to belittle her condition, but her 'selective mutism' is interesting. 

Basically she only talks to you if she wants to, a disability? 

I'd call it bone ignorance. 

34 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Cool ........................as spoken by most teenagers today

I use cool a lot, and 'right on' is reserved solely for use with a waggy 2 finger victory sign, denoting some PC, SJW, virtue signalling attempt by someone. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Didn't want to belittle her condition, but her 'selective mutism' is interesting. 

Basically she only talks to you if she wants to, a disability? 

I'd call it bone ignorance. 

I use cool a lot, and 'right on' is reserved solely for use with a waggy 2 finger victory sign, denoting some PC, SJW, virtue signalling attempt by someone. 

Agreed..the notion of being "right on" is decidedly uncool and used with contempt.😉

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, a Uni in London is taking beef off the menu, not a good sign for the farmers who"s  livelihood depend on the income from their beef herds,  

Then it’s up to all those who like beef,  to demand they put it back on, surely. 

There seems to be a growing trend to allow agenda driven PC dictate what we do. What about freedom of choice? Once we allow that to go we’re on a very slippery slope. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Then it’s up to all those who like beef,  to demand they put it back on, surely. 

There seems to be a growing trend to allow agenda driven PC dictate what we do. What about freedom of choice? Once we allow that to go we’re on a very slippery slope. 

hello, yep another dont do as i do/ do as i say, 

On 13/08/2019 at 12:56, Scully said:

So much for encouraging our youth to make their own decisions , or as scully says what about freedom of choice..  I think this will backfire as a belly full of cheap beer cries out for a burger or beef madras, and i suspect the nay sayers will be told to do one.. i am basing this on that fact that i have three teenagers

On 13/08/2019 at 11:25, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, a Uni in London is taking beef off the menu, not a good sign for the farmers who"s  livelihood depend on the income from their beef herds,  

18 minutes ago, islandgun said:

So much for encouraging our youth to make their own decisions , or as scully says what about freedom of choice..  I think this will backfire as a belly full of cheap beer cries out for a burger or beef madras, and i suspect the nay sayers will be told to do one.. i am basing this on that fact that i have three teenagers

hello, dont forget the Kebab and Pizza !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seen as how most if not all restaurants cater for food allergist / intolerances as I am gluten intolerant / as well as  lifestyle choices ,vegetarian /vegan diets,   I though it would be fun to go to a vegetarian restaurant and order up a meat meal not on the menu .  can you imagine the row that followed (every restaurant caters for your needs and you do not cater for me a meat eater , you are a restaurant why do you not cater for a meat eater  ) and a mate and I were the only ones in with a possible seating of 40 + (empty ) their answer we do not serve meat )  so why not ,   no sensible conversation to be had,   so  we found somewhere else   ( so are we being meat-eaters .    now becoming persecuted because we like meat with our veg etc )  why do moppets think they can make a fortune off the latest media fads,      when most want good quality  wholesome home cooked meal , on a family meal out , not carvery  (I have only found this problem in city's and have never come across this in country pubs  first class food without attitude very accommodating to dietary needs   and top rate food  to boot ) its time we stand up for what we like,   and stuff it to the ones who tell us what we should be doing because they do it  ,  most people know what they like but some times feel bullied / intimidated  to conform to social media latest fad

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

...so are we being meat-eaters .    now becoming persecuted because we like meat with our veg...

In simple terms; No, you choose to go to a vegetarian restaurant and ask for meat, would you go to the greengrocer and demand a pork chop?

How's the head this morning?

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

seen as how most if not all restaurants cater for food allergist / intolerances as I am gluten intolerant / as well as  lifestyle choices ,vegetarian /vegan diets,   I though it would be fun to go to a vegetarian restaurant and order up a meat meal not on the menu .  can you imagine the row that followed (every restaurant caters for your needs and you do not cater for me a meat eater , you are a restaurant why do you not cater for a meat eater  ) and a mate and I were the only ones in with a possible seating of 40 + (empty ) their answer we do not serve meat )  so why not ,   no sensible conversation to be had,   so  we found somewhere else   ( so are we being meat-eaters .    now becoming persecuted because we like meat with our veg etc )  why do moppets think they can make a fortune off the latest media fads,      when most want good quality  wholesome home cooked meal , on a family meal out , not carvery  (I have only found this problem in city's and have never come across this in country pubs  first class food without attitude very accommodating to dietary needs   and top rate food  to boot ) its time we stand up for what we like,   and stuff it to the ones who tell us what we should be doing because they do it  ,  most people know what they like but some times feel bullied / intimidated  to conform to social media latest fad

Eh? You tried to order meat in a vegetarian restaurant, and then complained about it not being available? Seriously ?

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

Eh? You tried to order meat in a vegetarian restaurant, and then complained about it not being available? Seriously ?

3 minutes ago, Zapp said:

This is just like that time I went to my local florist for a set of universal joints for my truck.  They won't forget the lambasting I gave them in a hurry.

I don't see why not,  the "V" brigade do it often enough.  I was in a restaurant in Manchester when some woman got very loud and strident in her complaints that there were  not any vegan items on the menu even though it was displayed outside.  Sauce for the goose and that, they are some of the least tolerant going.

All of this talk of farming methods, fuel usage, electricity production, saving the planet, saving the forests, vegan diets, and whatever else is the flavour of the month misses the main point.

There are far too many people in the world.   Over population is the only thing that needs to be discussed.

It never is discussed.

If the over population of the planet was by any other species on the planet then our species would be out with the poisons and sprays bigtime.

Now I am not advocating that we do that, but surely it wouldn't hurt to discuss it. 

9 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I don't see why not,  the "V" brigade do it often enough.  I was in a restaurant in Manchester when some woman got very loud and strident in her complaints that there were  not any vegan items on the menu even though it was displayed outside.  Sauce for the goose and that, they are some of the least tolerant going.

Yes, they are some if the most intolerant going, ( my OH has worked in the restaurant business for years and has seen it all ) but are you describing a restaurant advertising vegan food outside, but then not actually having any, or a restaurant advertising the fact they don’t serve vegan food? 

28 minutes ago, Zapp said:

This is just like that time I went to my local florist for a set of universal joints for my truck.  They won't forget the lambasting I gave them in a hurry.

😁

21 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

It was a famous Scottish comedian, [whos name escapes at the minute] who quipped 

Q  Whats the vegetarian option ? 

A  **** off

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yes, they are some if the most intolerant going, ( my OH has worked in the restaurant business for years and has seen it all ) but are you describing a restaurant advertising vegan food outside, but then not actually having any, or a restaurant advertising the fact they don’t serve vegan food? 

Neither just an establishment advertising what is actually on their menu = reading it before entry would have informed what is available.  I am ok with people having different lifestyles but they should not expect other to pander to their situation if they are not prepared to do the same.

I am also sick to my back teeth with having extreme fads rammed down my throat by minority groups.

Edited by Yellow Bear

18 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Neither just an establishment advertising what is actually on their menu = reading it before entry would have informed what is available.  I am ok with people having different lifestyles but they should not expect other to pander to their situation if they are not prepared to do the same.

Then yes, it sounds like she was being unreasonable. 

The Puppet Theatre and Gallery at Unthank is a vegetarian restaurant, but for some reason serves tuna and prawns. It is not vegan, but my OH, when she was manageress there, says she found it hilarious when people still in the queue to be served would loudly announce they were vegan but then still have a dessert even after OH had pointed out none of their desserts were suitable for vegans. 🙂

The food there is lish. 👍

It can be quite annoying not just because some are simply pandering to their vanities, while others are vegan through necessity due to dietary intolerances, as there can be quite a difference between veggie and vegan food, especially regarding cross contamination during preparation. 

OH works at a reputed restaurant now, which serves the full spectrum of food, including gluten free nights ( vegans and gluten free and cyclists for some reason, never leave tips!) 😀

But as an example of how some people think they are special, and why restaurant owners/ fast food outlets have to get it right....on a particularly busy day last week, six adult females and four children ordered variants of meals from the menu, which means one wanted the breakfast, but instead of black pudding could she have extra bacon and her egg scrambled instead of poached, and others did made similar requests even though it states on the head of the menu ‘no subs’; the reason for that being it is easier to cost out meals per ingredient and avoids a recipe for disaster by getting orders wrong. 

Anyhow, OH explained all this, but after a few grumblings the head chef / owner ( he’s an accommodating man ) for whatever reason decided it would be ok, despite them being very busy. 

All went well until it was time to pay, when one of them decided to complain quite loudly that she had asked for no butter on her toast ( underneath her egg ) despite eating it anyway! OH apologised and said she remembered her asking for no butter, and that it was it was her mistake. Customer wasn’t placated however, and went on to explain that she might have had an intolerance....big mistake! Now the boot was on the other foot as OH explained to her in no uncertain terms ( wish I’d been there as I’ve witnessed OH explaining things ‘in no uncertain terms ‘! 😀) that if she had an allergy/ food intolerance of any kind, it was her responsibility to inform staff prior to being served.  The head chef also became involved at this point, informing the customer that he sometimes adds butter to the bread dough mixture ( all bread is baked on the premises) dependant on what sort of dough he is making and confirmed what OH had told her. The customer became very subdued at this point, and attempted to backtrack, no doubt realising she was making a fuss over nothing and had in fact made a fool of herself. Perhaps she had been fishing for a discount, but when offered one, after being given her pedigree she declined it, but still got it incidentally, as the owner insisted, but not before she had stupidly embarrassed herself. Even her friends looked embarrassed. They were very quiet on their way out and none left a tip. 

Owner was expecting a vitriolic statement on Trip Advisor, but it hasn’t happened yet. 🙂

The above example is the really annoying aspect of the veggie/vegan fad, when it is simply that, a fad. 

Turned into a bit of a rant that, sorry. 😀

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

Then yes, it sounds like she was being unreasonable. 

The Puppet Theatre and Gallery at Unthank is a vegetarian restaurant, but for some reason serves tuna and prawns. It is not vegan, but my OH, when she was manageress there, says she found it hilarious when people still in the queue to be served would loudly announce they were vegan but then still have a dessert even after OH had pointed out none of their desserts were suitable for vegans. 🙂

The food there is lish. 👍

It can be quite annoying not just because some are simply pandering to their vanities, while others are vegan through necessity due to dietary intolerances, as there can be quite a difference between veggie and vegan food, especially regarding cross contamination during preparation. 

OH works at a reputed restaurant now, which serves the full spectrum of food, including gluten free nights ( vegans and gluten free and cyclists for some reason, never leave tips!) 😀

But as an example of how some people think they are special, and why restaurant owners/ fast food outlets have to get it right....on a particularly busy day last week, six adult females and four children ordered variants of meals from the menu, which means one wanted the breakfast, but instead of black pudding could she have extra bacon and her egg scrambled instead of poached, and others did made similar requests even though it states on the head of the menu ‘no subs’; the reason for that being it is easier to cost out meals per ingredient and avoids a recipe for disaster by getting orders wrong. 

Anyhow, OH explained all this, but after a few grumblings the head chef / owner ( he’s an accommodating man ) for whatever reason decided it would be ok, despite them being very busy. 

All went well until it was time to pay, when one of them decided to complain quite loudly that she had asked for no butter on her toast ( underneath her egg ) despite eating it anyway! OH apologised and said she remembered her asking for no butter, and that it was it was her mistake. Customer wasn’t placated however, and went on to explain that she might have had an intolerance....big mistake! Now the boot was on the other foot as OH explained to her in no uncertain terms ( wish I’d been there as I’ve witnessed OH explaining things ‘in no uncertain terms ‘! 😀) that if she had an allergy/ food intolerance of any kind, it was her responsibility to inform staff prior to being served.  The head chef also became involved at this point, informing the customer that he sometimes adds butter to the bread dough mixture ( all bread is baked on the premises) dependant on what sort of dough he is making and confirmed what OH had told her. The customer became very subdued at this point, and attempted to backtrack, no doubt realising she was making a fuss over nothing and had in fact made a fool of herself. Perhaps she had been fishing for a discount, but when offered one, after being given her pedigree she declined it, but still got it incidentally, as the owner insisted, but not before she had stupidly embarrassed herself. Even her friends looked embarrassed. They were very quiet on their way out and none left a tip. 

Owner was expecting a vitriolic statement on Trip Advisor, but it hasn’t happened yet. 🙂

The above example is the really annoying aspect of the veggie/vegan fad, when it is simply that, a fad. 

Turned into a bit of a rant that, sorry. 😀

Absolutely fine by me👍

Veganism and vegetarianism are far from a 'fad'. whilst its certainly for some, a phase, that they go through for others its a firmly held view of what they believe is the right way to run their lives. I guess there are many holes in the argument to be truly vegan as many aspects of life will contain some element of animal involvement. I have a niece that is very firmly vegan and I took great delight in winding her up about eating figs, telling her that they could not be vegan as most contain the bodies of wasps. 

Veganism is a growing movement and I would guess is naturally linked to a climate change agenda even if ultimately the argument looks to be on shaky ground.