Wind. No birds☹️

getthegat

Three and a half hours, 7 shots, two moves and only one bird. Insanely windy conditions this morning, hide net threatening to morf into a trans Atlantic racing yatch sail, shell decoys flipping over in the stubble, floaters becoming turbo charged self propelled flappers and the odd pigeon that did venture off its perch in the woods, spitfired past at a hundred miles an hour, giving only a milli second of a chance of a shot. I'm sure the wind even blew the lead shot of course, or at least that's my excuse today for 6 out of 7 birds putting two feathers up to my efforts. The only down'd woody was retrieved by Soph from standing wheat, with a look of "at last, something for me to do" Where are all the birds and who ordered the wind on my only morning off. Glimmer of hope though, first barley was being cut today.....

Almost exactly the same for me today over standing wheat, hypas were mega flapping but nothing about to see them it was just deserted today, maybe because its been to windy?  Did manage to get 3 pigeons for 7 shots, shocking but not a complete waste of time, haven't really seen any big numbers on any of the barley/rape/wheat stubbles round here yet either oxford area some crops were ripe and cut a month earlier than this time last year so maybe best is still to come, august to Octobers always when I get my best bags

1 hour ago, Shotguneddy said:

Almost exactly the same for me today over standing wheat, hypas were mega flapping but nothing about to see them it was just deserted today, maybe because its been to windy?  Did manage to get 3 pigeons for 7 shots, shocking but not a complete waste of time, haven't really seen any big numbers on any of the barley/rape/wheat stubbles round here yet either oxford area some crops were ripe and cut a month earlier than this time last year so maybe best is still to come, august to Octobers always when I get my best bags

hello, you found a permission to shoot then Eddy ? 

40 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, decided to go out today my self as although a bit windy it was nice to be out in the fields, about 1 ish found a nice spot looking over some cut OSR  , bit warm in the sunshine and i fell asleep, woke up at 4  still always another day:good:

Brilliant 😂 Has happened to me at times.

7 minutes ago, Shotguneddy said:

It was on my dads perm its not the best location but there had been a lot about previous days so we gave it a go but on the day was probably to windy and we didn't see to many

hello, well at least you got out shooting, yes seems to scatter the pigeon about this high wind and with many fields of barley and OSR now cut they have plenty to feed on 

same here on Saturday had relatively calm conditions to start with 3 out of 3 then wind got up and that was that ,like someone had flicked a switch , all flights lines disappeared all I could see where birds coming out of the trees then going almost straight back ,hung it out till 3pm with 4 birds all day

26 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Same here Sunday 1 out of 4 that even came near the decoys-at 100mph  flightline  moved so I did flightline stopped then found out from the farmer the field was shot the day before all a learning curve

Now you have sampled a small part of pigeon shooting you should start thinking about putting a bit of movement in your decoy pattern , the wind can be an advantage rather than a disadvantage . if you are not ready to buy a magnet you want to buy a couple of floaters , these can be raised above any crop you are shooting over and you will create more movement if you put them slightly sideways to the wind , don't get to down hearted , as you say it is all about a learning curve .

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Now you have sampled a small part of pigeon shooting you should start thinking about putting a bit of movement in your decoy pattern , the wind can be an advantage rather than a disadvantage . if you are not ready to buy a magnet you want to buy a couple of floaters , these can be raised above any crop you are shooting over and you will create more movement if you put them slightly sideways to the wind , don't get to down hearted , as you say it is all about a learning curve .

I had a magnet out and the first bird I shot I put on a tall cane and broke its wing they just weren’t interested think they where feeding on another field