PW Cyclists - Zwift?

Dan73

Anyone here use Zwift? 

Looking for recommendations on a Smart Trainer. For an experienced amateur (mountain bikes, triathlon,  c2c etc) who hasn’t properly cycled in several years, is there a noticeable difference when starting back out again in having extras like automatic resistance? Is it worth the extra money?

Any recommendations on a mid-range setup?

Thanks

On 11/08/2019 at 08:47, Dan73 said:

Anyone here use Zwift? 

Looking for recommendations on a Smart Trainer. For an experienced amateur (mountain bikes, triathlon,  c2c etc) who hasn’t properly cycled in several years, is there a noticeable difference when starting back out again in having extras like automatic resistance? Is it worth the extra money?

Any recommendations on a mid-range setup?

Thanks

I have some friends who use Zwift and can ask a few questions if you'd like.

I ride MTB and like the look of it as a winter indoor training tool but can't justify the money.

I don't use Zwift, but use a turbo regularly (A couple of times a week), I use the British Cycling set training sessions:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/training-plans/supporting-documents/article/izn20140529-Indoor-Training-Sessions-0

Have set my turbo up in my shed and run through the workout.

I have several friends and family who use Zwift, but without the full smart trainer package, subscription, TV etc, I don't think you get the full experience, and I couldn't justify the expense of the full set up, and get on well with the set training sessions anyway.

The trainer I have is just standard one from decathon.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hayden

4 hours ago, hedge said:

I have some friends who use Zwift and can ask a few questions if you'd like.

I ride MTB and like the look of it as a winter indoor training tool but can't justify the money.

Hi Hedge, It would be great to know if they are using 'Wheel On' Trainers.....I prefer the idea of a cheaper trainer and potentially a hack bike from eBay or Gumtree rather than the expense of a Direct Drive trainer. Tacx Wheel On trainers seem to get decent reviews from multiple sources. Thanks

3 hours ago, Hayden said:

I don't use Zwift, but use a turbo regularly (A couple of times a week), I use the British Cycling set training sessions:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/training-plans/supporting-documents/article/izn20140529-Indoor-Training-Sessions-0

Have set my turbo up in my shed and run through the workout.

I have several friends and family who use Zwift, but without the full smart trainer package, subscription, TV etc, I don't think you get the full experience, and I couldn't justify the expense of the full set up, and get on well with the set training sessions anyway.

The trainer I have is just standard one from decathon.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hayden

Thanks Hayden, I wasn't aware of the British Cycling training sessions, I'll take a look

Cheers

No problem.  Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I have had a go on the direct drive trainers, and they are really good, but as you say, just really expensive!  It's impressive how Zwift adjusts the resistance when going up/down hill, and I think to get the most out of it, that's what you need.  Am lead to believe that they give accurate power data too, which of course, helps with training, compared to the good old HR monitor (As I have).

Hayden

I've had a response from 3 `Zwifties`.

Zwift 1(really good road rider and occasional MTB rider - can afford nice toys)

Uses Tacx Neo  - as it allows you to hot swap a bike without changing wheels/tyres. Suggests Flux is newer/cheaper and just as capable. 1st gen models had issues but 2nd gen are fine

Zwift 2 (rides a lot and likes his toys)

Uses Tacx Flux (2nd gen) - automatically adjusts resistance. Likes it. Also suggested Wahoo or a Wattbike Atom (quite funky apparently).

Zwift 3 (more MTB but a real geek and loves his gadgets)

Had a Tacx without Zwift and sold it. Likes the Wattbike. Says that to get the full effect, you need a 60" 4K TV and the necessary subscriptions! Apparently you need a couple of fans to cool you down at you get a bit sweaty after a while.

The bottom line is that it's not cheap if you want to do it properly and immerse yourself in the world of Zwift (I see Strava updates of them riding some TDF stage or belting round Central Park - it's very cool). People who have it seem to like it. 

If you are happy to just spin the wheels and get a turbo trainer with adjustable resistance, you can do it on the cheap. If you want the whole immersive world of `real time` riding, on-line and with a TV, then get ready to spend a few £££'s. Half of Zwift is social interaction, the other half is `realistic` riding (so they tell me).

Bit different from a turbo trainer and a £50 eBay special!

Also - try some roadie specific sites to see what people think:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13106314&p=20542669&hilit=zwift#p20542669

Picked up a Tacx Vortex Smart (Wheel On) trainer today - Local bike shop price matched to what it was advertised for on Wiggle - a HUGE saving on the RRP for me, I did feel a little guilty, but then they have had a lot of money out of me over the years so I got over it quite quickly.

- Its the little wins that help............

Just got to hope the bike I've made an offer on, on eBay, lands or I'll have to bid on some more bikes next week.

9 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

There’s been a few updates to the kickr and core recently. One is a quieter drive belt. The unit itself is very quiet. The drivetrain makes the most noise. 

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

Any views on rocker plates - when I've done serious efforts on zwift (such as the FTP Improver plan) I have had issues with my knees, having used a rocker plate they are gone, currently assessing one that has front to back as well as side to side movement and it feels very realistic.

14 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

Any views on rocker plates - when I've done serious efforts on zwift (such as the FTP Improver plan) I have had issues with my knees, having used a rocker plate they are gone, currently assessing one that has front to back as well as side to side movement and it feels very realistic.

They’re a good idea. For putting less stress through the frame of nothing else. I’ve seen one made up using two sheets of marine ply and tennis balls! Which I’m going to try. My knees definitely heat up indoors which I’m hoping a rocker plate will help with.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-rocker-board.232667/

Edited by shalfordninja33