Do We or Don't We

pigeon controller

With the weather forcast predicting the end of the world as we know it . The decision was do go out or not, now in the past we have called off and halfway through the day gone out as the the day was fine. We decided to give it a go and set out looking for birds on stubble and after a couple of farms found nothing worth setting up for. We had been driving in heavy drizzle but then the rain became stronger and no self respecting pigeon would be feeding in that. As we passed one of our permissions we could see two guys setting up. This field is a very good flightline out of the city but starts about midday. We looked at some rape stubble further down the valley but it had very few birds on it and we had been informed that it was shot on Monday so we carried on looking at barley and rape stubble laid wheat and peas again nothing worth setting up for.

As it was now getting on for midday Bunny_Blaster gave us a heads up on the rape stubble we had looked at before, he had been feeding his ducks and saw the birds. When we arrived at the five fields they had birds all over and as we watched we could hear the two guys shooting two fields over that we saw setting up. We decided to give it a go and phoned the farmer, ok help yourself. We watched it for twenty minute and could not decide which position would give us the best flight of birds. They were flighting along a shallow valley but the larger proportion of birds were on the top of a sunny bank with the very strong wind left to right. So we decided the top of the bank for visabilty.  We set up with the magnet set close to the hedge out of the wind for movement and ten fresh birds on spikes. All the time we could hear the other shooters as the flightline out of the city continued to give them sport.

The only concern we had was that we were shooting birds that had been spooked on decoys less that a mile away and this was proved by the way that the birds would come to look but not decoy. This made it very interesting but frustrating shooting but we kept at it. We must have been set up for 13.00 and we shot till 19.00 and managed to pick up one hundred and eightysix pigeons. If they had decoyed we would have had another mega day but they stayed out from the decoys and we kept changing the pattern we ended the day with seven flying frames all strung out along the ground infront of the hedge in the lee of the wind, as this tended to make them fly above us closer in. We had a couple of showers but nothing to stop us.

By the time I'd got home and sorted out the pigeon I had my tea at 9.45 watched the News, Match of the Day and Bed. So thats why my report is Sunday morning.

100-3437.jpg

186 Pigeons

Paaahhhh..............thats nothin..............ive shot loads of bags like that........

..................................in my sleep.:good:

15 minutes ago, muncher said:

Well done again PC, I bet the pigeons can't wait until you go to Greece for a few weeks.😁

waste of money him going to Greece....all he does is make camoflage netting out of old ladies knickers when he is there..........the Greek authorities will get wise to him soon when folks underware goes missing off the line same time every year...

he'll end up doin time i tell 'ee..:lol:

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

waste of money him going to Greece....all he does is make camoflage netting out of old ladies knickers when he is there..........the Greek authorities will get wise to him soon when folks underware goes missing off the line same time every year...

he'll end up doin time i tell 'ee..:lol:

Before I go out at night I go to the tourist beaches and pick up German and French newspapers etc and leave evidence  at the crime scene.