12 gauge or 20 gauge for 13 year old

roche1800

Hello,

I would really appreciate your feedback on this matter please.

Looking to buy my son a shotgun for his 13th birthday, is there much difference in recoil using a 12 gauge 21 gram versus a 20 gauge 28 gram?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by roche1800
wrong thread

4 minutes ago, roche1800 said:

Hello,

Looking to buy my son a shotgun for his 13th birthday, is there much difference in recoil using a 12 gauge 21 gram versus a 20 gauge 28 gram?

Thanks in advance.

•  

Whatever the load, lighter guns impart more felt recoil. There may be 'kickeeze' pads available for both bores I would think. 

Being slight of build I bought my nephew a Franchi 620 when he was a similar age; we both loved the gun, and I can highly recommend them. He moved onto a 20 bore OU but I needed to buy him a recoil pad insert he wore under his jacket. 

recoil using the right cartridges is not a problem................

for a young lads first gun ....he needs to be able to have the strength holding it......alot of young lads are not as fit and strong as they should be....if you have a heavy gun and he cant hold it comfortably ...it will kick and put him off.........

so start from there.......:good:

Similarly at age 12, I graduated to 12b (Baikal sxs - so not a heavy ou - with 1 1/8 No6 for pheasant or 1 1/4 No 3 for geese) and never had a recoil issue but have always been solid build.

Either bore option would suit, but the 12b for any given load will appear to be lighter in recoil due to greater mass.

Therefore a 12b 28g load such as Hull Comp X (which has a very mild recoil) will appear to have significantly less recoil than a 20b 28g RC SIPE.

A light action 28" 12b M/C, would be the most flexible (and least expensive to purchase and for cartridges) option.

It is largely down to the weight of the gun. A heavier gun will generally have less felt recoil. So you are trying to compromise with a gun he can handle, not being too heavy, with one that does not kick like a mule. I would get to a reputable dealer with access to a clay ground and take it from there with there advice.You are in Bristol so what about a trip to Ian Coley?

I had lessons at the age of fourteen. I was, in those days, very slightly built and I was started by my instructor on a twenty bore side by side and I was absolutely fine. In fact, I received my shotgun certificate on my fifteenth birthday and immediately got an AYA Yeoman twelve bore and I was absolutely fine with that. They were also heavier loads in those days (early seventies). 

So, I think you have to make a judgement based on his build, strength and type of gun.

3 hours ago, roche1800 said:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

What kind of build is he? It would be worth taking him to a shop and handing both to see which he’s more comfortable with. 

21gm through both a 12 and 20 are a joy to shoot. Personally I find 28gm a bit lumpy through my 690, 20b, certainly RC sipes anyway. However 24-26gm is a joy to shoot with no discernible difference at the receiving end. 

Be careful if you don’t use a 20 already, once you’ve had a go you may find yourself not giving it back 😁😂 

14 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i had a s/s 20 gauge i used 28 gram sipe rc 20,and it kicked like a mule could not hit any thing with it got rid of it, now i use 12 gauge reducers in my 12 gauge o/u with the same carts and hit very well with it,no kick at all.

SIPE are a punchy cartridge in my experience; very good, but punchy. 

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

SIPE are a punchy cartridge in my experience; very good, but punchy. 

I started off using 28gm sipe in my 690 20b and I found them too punchy for my liking.

The 26gm are a joy to shoot by comparison and still seem to be hard hitting. JK6 are my favs though it but I only seem to be able to get them through just cartridges. 

17 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

I started off using 28gm sipe in my 690 20b and I found them too punchy for my liking.

The 26gm are a joy to shoot by comparison and still seem to be hard hitting. JK6 are my favs though it but I only seem to be able to get them through just cartridges. 

I use SIPE exclusively for game days now, through a heavy gun.

For me I would buy a dedicated junior gun, that is appropriately sized for the junior shooter. My 12 year old has reached a pretty decent level on clays, having came 3rd in a junior comp earlier this year.  We tried loads of guns until he found one that fitted its a Webley and Scott 920K 20 bore left hander, a really decent little gun.  He shoots mainly 21G but can deal with 24's anything bigger is a bit punchy for him in such a light gun.

Worth a try!

I would say 12 bore with 21g carts. Cheaper to shoot and low recoil.  If weight is an issue a semi auto could be the answer.

At 13 I was six foot tall and could do most things a grown man could. My son has shot since that age always using a 12 bore.

How big is your lad?

Edited by figgy

My 11 year old son started (approx a year ago) with a 28 gauge  Lincoln Premier Gold with 1 inch cut of the stock.  A month or two back, our friend (and shooting mentor!) suggested that  he needed to move to a 20 bore. He tried a 20 and also our friends 525 12 bore with 28'' barrels.  He didn't 'click' with either of them.  Then he had a go with my SP 686 with 30'' barrels.  He couldn't miss!  And He's firing 28 gram Velocity.  It's embarrassing when I'm are sharing my gun with my son AND he's 100 times better than me!  I wonder if Specsavers can help?

I'd suggest that you let your son try as many different gauges and sizes as possible but remember that he may outgrow this next gun in a couple of years.

Guest cookoff013
On 15/08/2019 at 23:13, DoolinDalton said:

My 11 year old son started (approx a year ago) with a 28 gauge  Lincoln Premier Gold with 1 inch cut of the stock.  A month or two back, our friend (and shooting mentor!) suggested that  he needed to move to a 20 bore. He tried a 20 and also our friends 525 12 bore with 28'' barrels.  He didn't 'click' with either of them.  Then he had a go with my SP 686 with 30'' barrels.  He couldn't miss!  And He's firing 28 gram Velocity.  It's embarrassing when I'm are sharing my gun with my son AND he's 100 times better than me!  I wonder if Specsavers can help?

I'd suggest that you let your son try as many different gauges and sizes as possible but remember that he may outgrow this next gun in a couple of years.

if hes that good it probably wouldnt matter what he is shooting.