England vs Wales

chrisjpainter

Did anyone else watch? What a breath of fresh air Watson was! His take under the high ball was superb and he looked so sharp in both defence and attack. Daly still a problem for Eddie Jones though.

However, a rusty, under-strength England still got the job done against the side gunning to be world number one!

Any other thoughts?

Ooops! can er a mod sort out my ineptitude?! I read 'other sales as 'Off topic'...

Not watched it yet but listened to a bit on radio. Great result. I did not predict that. Interesting to see what happens in next game. He seems a bit strange not having faith in care as cover for youngs. Also full back seems questionable with daily defence being very suspect

I'm nervous of Daly though. He's such a weak link defensively. But Jones seems set against bringing Brown back in. He's the best defensive full back in the world, yet Jones refuses to pick him. I'm expecting us to be pretty exposed against better opposition. 

Also, those world rankings are a farce!

Very much enjoyed the game, and quite a few second choice players for England. Watson was very good as were most of the England team. Curry was excellent until he went off, hopefully not serious. Billy was a force or nature and Cokanasiga is just huge on the wing, Ford done well and his kicking was good as anyone.

Wales on the other hand just did not switch on. The next test will be a battle that is for sure.

The England squad is announced. Some players in there who only won their first cap at the weekend and McConnochie's not even done that!

image.png.5e84f0c13fb7c7ba34717d855156305a.pngimage.png.052da9939e1ea0957052c6d5d5d4f9ce.png

No Mike Brown, Ben Te'o, Robshaw, Hartley or Shields, but then he's injured at the moment. Thoughts? We have six players gunning for the back three, which should be interesting!

Edited by chrisjpainter

40 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

These are warm up games for the World Cup that starts in about a month. 

And Wales REALLY looked like they needed warming up. They were so flat.

Assuming everyone's 100% fit, I think this'd be my starting line up. No Daly, because I don't trust him in defence, and no Lawes or Cokanasiga, as I'd like them as impact players. The toughest calls for me was at centre. I think that'd come down to the opposition. if you need silk and class, It'd be Slade and Joseph, if you need a wrecking ball, then Tuilagi is in. 

image.png.46c42813dc18c8b1fa28c2c7441cb6b8.png

Edited by chrisjpainter

I couldn't believe 5 or 6 penalties given in 10 mins by England ( a huge problem that leads to many many easy points when against top teams) and assumed they would never score for the rest of the match BUT I was wrong again, they picked themselves up which I've never seen in a long time. . . .a really good test for them. I also thought every man give a good performance ( even the newbies ) obviously there are some experienced big hitters missing from the squad and heard that Brown v Teo was interesting tiff at the training ground. . . dunno who won. . . any ideas?

Anyone like to guess next week result? 

I'll start with:

Wales 23 England 27

Wales were poor and England were pretty good. I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best from either.

Wales didn't get out of the blocks. Basics were poor and struggled to put any passage of play together. Possibly too disjointed with the changes but that would be a poor excuse. Must improve. Significantly!

There's still a couple of games to juggle the squad and regain the form of last season, if it comes together there is a great chance to really impress in the RWC.

England were good, there's no doubt about that. Possibly flattered by a lack lustre Wales but maybe they just didn't allow Wales to do anything. I don't think they will look so good against more polished opposition.

Strong up front and behind but lacking experience in some areas and lacking discipline at times. If they fix some of that then they could be a force to be reckoned with in Japan.

Roll on next week.

Edd

For some reason my mind wandered back to when Caroline Wozniaki first became women's tennis world number 1. 5 live commentator said 'yeah she is without doubt the worst number one we've seen.' Not sure why I thought of that...

In all seriousness though, I can't see this Welsh side being world number one. They were significantly better a few years back. Being World number ones, surely we should make them favourites for the world cup? Good defence, decent attack, but best side in the world? As I said last week, the world rankings are a farce...

I'm not sure we've learnt a great deal from these two games. We won at home, Wales won at home. Neither side was rampant, neither shocking. Just two reasonably decent northern hemisphere teams chugging along to the World Cup. Meanwhile down south, tries galore as the All Blacks avenge a thrashing by handing out a bagel to the Aussies.

The all blacks are favourites by anyone with a rugby brain. But after these 2 games there is also no doubt which coach would be happiest with his squad. The depth of England squad for the pool games could be a good factor in later stages. There will certainly be injuries to all squads in the pool games