Bird Fair!

NatureBoy

Can't find out up on line. I was going by what they said on fieldsports channel and Averys blog! So presume it did and it will be up on FS channel some time? Thought WJ Avery would be shouting about it if it went well for them and in there favour tho. It great our orgs are putting more info out and keeping us informed. But they need to been getting  the message/truth out to the public/youth and use social media more like they are so good at! Hope they are on it cos WJ's  DG petition look like it going to make it. 63,000 signed already! That well over more than twice what Avery got  (25,000) in total when he tried before! Not good! Time we all made more effort to spread the word. It/they not going to go away like a lot think.   NB

4 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Can't find out up on line. I was going by what they said on fieldsports channel and Averys blog! So presume it did and it will be up on FS channel some time? Thought WJ Avery would be shouting about it if it went well for them and in there favour tho. It great our orgs are putting more info out and keeping us informed. But they need to been getting  the message/truth out to the public/youth and use social media more like they are so good at! Hope they are on it cos WJ's  DG petition look like it going to make it. 63,000 signed already! That well over more than twice what Avery got  (25,000) in total when he tried before! Not good! Time we all made more effort to spread the word. It/they not going to go away like a lot think.   NB

in Off topic

Brave man Charlie,you were certainly up against it.If a small proportion of the audience go away and look up the true facts then some good has come out of your interview.I fear however that a huge majority are completely blinkered in their outlook and will carry on absorbing all the lies that the terrible trio put out.As regards to the shooting community we must continue to be squeaky clean and fight our corner vigorously letting the press ,public and friends know the true facts.

20 hours ago, greylag said:

Brave man Charlie,you were certainly up against it.If a small proportion of the audience go away and look up the true facts then some good has come out of your interview.I fear however that a huge majority are completely blinkered in their outlook and will carry on absorbing all the lies that the terrible trio put out.As regards to the shooting community we must continue to be squeaky clean and fight our corner vigorously letting the press ,public and friends know the true facts.

Loved how they said grouse moors don't have wildlife.. And Avery rubbished the hen Harrier hatch success saying it wasn't actually on grouse moors.. 3 on 1 was always going to be hard.

Really good to see Charlie stand up for us all.

The problem with the 'facts' the three come out with is that everyone takes them as gospel.  Avery saying that he was a scientist and Charlie isn't so he has no opinion, was just awful.

So, they get Driven Grouse Shooting banned, and hen harrier numbers don't improve, ground nesting bird numbers decrease, what happens next?

Hayden

2 hours ago, Hayden said:

Really good to see Charlie stand up for us all.

The problem with the 'facts' the three come out with is that everyone takes them as gospel.  Avery saying that he was a scientist and Charlie isn't so he has no opinion, was just awful.

So, they get Driven Grouse Shooting banned, and hen harrier numbers don't improve, ground nesting bird numbers decrease, what happens next?

Hayden

How about asking the 1.5 ? million gun users in the UK to crowd fund and get the ban overturned

2 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I was at my In Law sin Oakham, just down the road from the Bird Fair, having dinner in the Wheatsheaf pub, surrounded by men in beards and sandals with binoculars, proudly wearing my PigeonWatch polo shirt. Had a few dirty looks, but no comments. 

I've had remarks in pubs before, middle of the countryside and someone with cod n chips and steak on plate started to kick of about us murdering scum... 

14 hours ago, islandgun said:

How about asking the 1.5 ? million gun users in the UK to crowd fund and get the ban overturned

That's a really interesting concept - If every shooter and those sympathetic to our cause - Fishermen, butchers, game dealers, farmers etc, etc gave a meaningless amount - 2 quid each say, that would be a hell of a fund - Could pay for a few full page ads in the daily mail extolling the value of game shooting, pest control and wild meat as well as publicly righting the wrongs and expelling the myths. All we'd need would be for the UK shooting organisations to organise it and then talk to each other and go forward with one message.

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

That's a really interesting concept - If every shooter and those sympathetic to our cause - Fishermen, butchers, game dealers, farmers etc, etc gave a meaningless amount - 2 quid each say, that would be a hell of a fund - Could pay for a few full page ads in the daily mail extolling the value of game shooting, pest control and wild meat as well as publicly righting the wrongs and expelling the myths. All we'd need would be for the UK shooting organisations to organise it and then talk to each other and go forward with one message.

Im on "The farming Forum" and many feel the same way, peed off with vegans this, and anti that, bbc said,  etc etc.. there are many others. I strongly believe that WJ and the fascist wing of the vegan movement will do real harm to our countryside if allowed.. I for one,  would be happy to help fund some, save our countryside initiatives

40 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’d give to that as long as it wasn’t squandered in admin’. 

Oh but it would be!

I think it's better to show people than to spend big bucks on an ad that will be ignored. Open days on farms that shoot, a GWCT or BASC demonstration shoot/farm, would be a better concept. Much better to show people something than to try and tell them something. Shooting community needs to be more welcoming rather than being a tortoise that sticks its head in shell and thinks everyone is trying to whack it over the head. Wouldn't even be a shoot day, but rearing stage, showing habitat management and a bit of a wildlife watching tour.

Then should someone say shoots are wildlife deserts, people won't accept it as gospel. Rather than a pantomine oh yes it is, oh no it isn't. That might at a push convince a five year old, if you said it really loudly.

16 hours ago, islandgun said:

A fantastic idea.  

I'm volunteering Fieldsports Britain to set this up!!  (Although I know they already offer membership and shares). 

Cheers

Hayden

I would give to a fighting fund as long as a minimum of 95% was ringfenced (and watertight, with no "get out" clauses) and could only be used to defend shooting and the country way of life.....approx 5% could then be used for admin.....but strict control on employees, provision of company cars, expense accounts, free meals, hotels paid for................or on the other hand, in the unlikely event they are corrupt.......we could just use the money to bribe our MP's/Lawmakers? :whistling:

47 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I would give to a fighting fund as long as a minimum of 95% was ringfenced (and watertight, with no "get out" clauses) and could only be used to defend shooting and the country way of life.....approx 5% could then be used for admin.....but strict control on employees, provision of company cars, expense accounts, free meals, hotels paid for................or on the other hand, in the unlikely event they are corrupt.......we could just use the money to bribe our MP's/Lawmakers? 

Agree. And as long as they engage a good PR firm who understand both sides of the argument (no middle-aged white males in tweeds).

3 hours ago, Teal said:

Oh but it would be!

I think it's better to show people than to spend big bucks on an ad that will be ignored. Open days on farms that shoot, a GWCT or BASC demonstration shoot/farm, would be a better concept. Much better to show people something than to try and tell them something. Shooting community needs to be more welcoming rather than being a tortoise that sticks its head in shell and thinks everyone is trying to whack it over the head. Wouldn't even be a shoot day, but rearing stage, showing habitat management and a bit of a wildlife watching tour.

Then should someone say shoots are wildlife deserts, people won't accept it as gospel. Rather than a pantomine oh yes it is, oh no it isn't. That might at a push convince a five year old, if you said it really loudly.

I’d like to see that happen, but how do you get people there? I could see the animal part of it having an appeal to kids, but modern farming practises aren’t up there in the popularity stakes I’m afraid.   

On 18/08/2019 at 17:42, greylag said:

Total win for WJ that discussion.

Nothing was said from our perspective  to further our case imo.

At key points the audience were told to ‘Google it’.

From my end it was used simply to state Wild Justice facts as they wanted to put them with very little argument against them.

They were given many opportunities by Charlie to give their side of the debate, it seemed to me that Charlie was just getting them to state their case in order for him to understand their position.

Total waste of a debate to a biased audience and more fodder for the masses to digest and agree with I think.