Bird Fair!

NatureBoy

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I’d like to see that happen, but how do you get people there? I could see the animal part of it having an appeal to kids, but modern farming practises aren’t up there in the popularity stakes I’m afraid.   

Countryfile Live seems to have been a pretty big hit, and so is the program. I think there is enough there to get people curious to learn about it, it's basically bird/animal watching on land that wouldn't ordinarily be open to them, where they could see some of the positive impacts of shooting. I think you'd make it free, and that is the "cost" for putting on the day. But it is also getting the value. I went on one with Mike Swan some years back, so the precedent is there but that was part of a course and not really tailored to the general public involvement.

School trips are a good one, but I genuinely think a lot of people are interested in this stuff. I'd use social media to promote it. You don't have to get too many people, if it had a positive impact on people's minds, and they could see good things happening they would either tell people or voice their opinion when it became a topic of conversation. 

I'm not saying you are promoting this, but to my mind taking out big adverts (wherever it is) is pretty much dead money. It treats people with open minds as idiots that can be lectured to/told a few soundbites, and job done. Sure it looks like you are doing something, and it nicely takes care of some of the budget, but in terms of results. I don't think it delivers. Shooting and the Orgs need to be creative, and inclusive if they want to get public on board.

It's strange because something like hunting is exclusive, but anyone can take up shooting, be it targets, clays or whatever. But as a community we are really bad at inviting people in (maybe because we are all conditioned it's a them vs us thing).

I also think would be good if shooting orgs offered (maybe they do) an incentive for guns to introduce newcomers. Perhaps cover a guest or friend under the insurance or similar.

Some snippits for perusal..Although little to do with shooting, I like the arguments for permanent pasture. A similar document could be used pro shooting

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/30/scientists-laud-biodiversity-renowned-grouse-moor-recording/

The Langholm Moor Demonstration Project: News

828648-b0c7c93d317cf953d0c5a699833df8c9.jpg.cd08d93645972b9b00de8f2ddcc22652.jpg

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

She was propagating a story put out by LACS which had already been shown to be fake news.

The Bird Fair is slowly metamorphosing into a general "green" event which could be bad news if is steered by the animal rights lobby.

It is bad news ! these people want to run the country, look at the buzzards and partridge thread in off topic,  they are working out who will be minister for hedges as we speak..An un-elected pressure group giving luvies overall power, they want to dictate what we eat and how its grown and meat isnt on the list

On 20/08/2019 at 18:23, Teal said:

Countryfile Live seems to have been a pretty big hit, and so is the program. I think there is enough there to get people curious to learn about it, it's basically bird/animal watching on land that wouldn't ordinarily be open to them, where they could see some of the positive impacts of shooting. I think you'd make it free, and that is the "cost" for putting on the day. But it is also getting the value. I went on one with Mike Swan some years back, so the precedent is there but that was part of a course and not really tailored to the general public involvement.

School trips are a good one, but I genuinely think a lot of people are interested in this stuff. I'd use social media to promote it. You don't have to get too many people, if it had a positive impact on people's minds, and they could see good things happening they would either tell people or voice their opinion when it became a topic of conversation. 

I'm not saying you are promoting this, but to my mind taking out big adverts (wherever it is) is pretty much dead money. It treats people with open minds as idiots that can be lectured to/told a few soundbites, and job done. Sure it looks like you are doing something, and it nicely takes care of some of the budget, but in terms of results. I don't think it delivers. Shooting and the Orgs need to be creative, and inclusive if they want to get public on board.

It's strange because something like hunting is exclusive, but anyone can take up shooting, be it targets, clays or whatever. But as a community we are really bad at inviting people in (maybe because we are all conditioned it's a them vs us thing).

I also think would be good if shooting orgs offered (maybe they do) an incentive for guns to introduce newcomers. Perhaps cover a guest or friend under the insurance or similar.

I've been giving this some thought and yes, I think you may have something there as opposed to the advert. I do know quite a few farmers who are associated with one or another of the shooting organisations, but I think other than possibly mooting the idea to a certain farm in the first instance, should play no further part in a project such as 'open days', thereby lessening the chance of anyone claiming it is a shooting agenda, making it more of a farm which shoots rather than a shoot which farms, if that makes sense. 

Where i think the organisations could make a difference, is by seeing how feasible it would be on spending some of their huge sums of OUR money on short informational films to be shown as 'shorts' prior to the main event in national ( or even small local independent ) cinemas. One fantastic short film posted on here last year I think, was of the making of tartans and 'keepers/ghillies suits, from bringing the sheep from the Fells, through shearing and the finished product, and how that product of wool was used to maintain a small run business and the local housewives who worked there as seamstresses. Films such as these are fascinating to watch and offer the unknowledgeable a rare glimpse into the lives of those they wouldn't otherwise see. 

We need to get our points across to the unconverted, rather than preaching always to the already converted. Open days could have huge potential. 

Anyone watch Packham Post match analysis on FSC? Far more interesting than the debate i thought! It like they (WJ) dumbing  things down to cause more division in shooting and with the orgs. Also maybe to  try and make them  more credible to get a seat/voice/influence at the top table with Juniper and co! Before turning the screw more to try for a total ban! Interesting they now say they  agree with some forms of recreational shooting at mo. Strange they gone quiet on the release of pheasants front! Dominic Dyer seem to be more in there gang after his call to arms (encouraging active disruption) at Hen Harrier Day.  We all need to start a conversation and educate folk if we want to keep what we care about!  There is more support out there to be won!   Just my thoughts!   NB 

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Not heard anything from Connor and BASC ! after pm's

If they on it and we have nothing to worry about i wish they would tell us IG!?  I have spoke to a  few farmers and game shooters and they don't seem bothered like they know something we don;t!  NB

56 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

If they on it and we have nothing to worry about i wish they would tell us IG!?  I have spoke to a  few farmers and game shooters and they don't seem bothered like they know something we don;t!  NB

The farming sector seem to be coming up with, and pushing some very good counter arguments against vegans and the latest anti meat save the world loons [ see my e.g above] , The Farming Forum have examples of the stuff they are putting out on FB,  might be worth a look. Cant imagine any good news for game shooters

18 minutes ago, islandgun said:

The farming sector seem to be coming up with, and pushing some very good counter arguments against vegans and the latest anti meat save the world loons [ see my e.g above] , The Farming Forum have examples of the stuff they are putting out on FB,  might be worth a look. Cant imagine any good news for game shooters

I meant some farmers i have spoke to don't seem to know or worried about loosing shooting or any threat from WJ. I hope they are right because i don't think it's looking good! I agree farming sector doing great stuff to promo meat, animal welfare. traceablity and how and where food is produced.. They certainly doing OK and farmers /farm shops getting plenty of support my way.   NB   

26 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

I meant some farmers i have spoke to don't seem to know or worried about loosing shooting or any threat from WJ. I hope they are right because i don't think it's looking good! I agree farming sector doing great stuff to promo meat, animal welfare. traceablity and how and where food is produced.. They certainly doing OK and farmers /farm shops getting plenty of support my way.   NB   

Are the farm shops selling game ?  we know its ethical meat but do the punters

35 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Are the farm shops selling game ?  we know its ethical meat but do the punters

Some do and venrson.  2 have pigeons and game etc off me, Another rears game and supplies one of the shoots he shoots on and has whats left of the bag at the end of shoot days and sells thro the shop. Can't get more traceable than that. I'll take whatever birds i can on shoots i go brush'n on and beaters days. Especially partridges. 40 plus some days. Have no problem getting pigeons and game into food chain. Just takes a bit more effort at times and to get word round. Can't get enough at times! Never charge country folk  or shops as barter system alive and well my way. Especially with two local pig clubs, cheese, wine,cider and beer makers and one fella makes some wicked calvodos with a very dodgy still. 😉 Got a growing local beef herd of redpoll cattle . Another got Guernsey herd and sell milk, cheese and beef and veal off farm,  NB