Well I did it

Jacko3275

My first solo day shooting on the field I think went pretty well  .. I got to the field about 1pm as I had to work this morning I sat with a coffee watching the birds behaviour as you all advised me to do the bird where pretty much the same as the other day  so I set up between the g and e on the field pic on the other post ... I finally got settled about 2pm with in ten minutes first bird in I missed second bird hit used this as a floater then for the next 45 mins I could hit a thing half a dozen missed  the next 30 mins I hit 2 but they ran and dropped in the wood at the top of the field by now I’m thinking this ain’t gonna be my day the next 45 mins was quiet birds flying  by the far side of the pattern and high but not showing much interest (magnet needed me thinks) then I had a low fast crosser bang clean kill over the next few hours I hit 11 more 2 of which dropped in a neighbouring wheat field and I missed probably just as many.. at about 630pm I decided to pack up as there was nothing about so all in all bagged 11 had 4 runners and a great day 

Edited by Jacko3275

I takes time .

The real key to this pigeon shooting thing is only shooting at the birds that are in range and you have a decent chance of hitting .

If you stab at the long /really hard shots your just gonna frustrate your self and educate more birds .

Its one of the reasons i think i shoot better with my single .410 than my 20bs .its because i wait till the birds are definately  in range and are hitable .

And suprise i hit them (kill em) 

Glad u enjoyed it , and keep at it .

Well done that man. Thanks for posting of your exploits.

I imagine that on your journey between Wath Upon Dearne and Pontefract you were envisaging the scenario of no pigeons, the field having been shot already or worse still another shooter banging away.

24 minutes ago, JDog said:

I imagine that on your journey between Wath Upon Dearne and Pontefract you were envisaging the scenario of no pigeons, the field having been shot already or worse still another shooter banging away.

I was thinking watch the farmer be working on that field 

Well done Jacko, brave report of your first solo shoot. You did well and as JDog posted you will remember that day. Just remember what works, and set up where the pigeons want to be. 

My first solo day was dawn till dusk in January on rape for nine birds picked and possibly ten missed.

Edited by pigeon controller

3 hours ago, JDog said:

that cant happen jd with nppc,once you book out no one else can book same location.

6 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Will it be worth me booking this field again for Friday how long do farmers usually leave rape stubble before ploughing it in or the is a pea field but I’m not gonna have time to reccy it

Only the farmer whose land it is will be able to tell you how long the stubble will be left for , we have got some stubble which was cut over a week ago and today it is being bailed up , the bales might start being taken of tomorrow or they could be there for a week or two , it depends on the weather and how much of the harvest is left as any grain still standing will have priority over carting bales off .

Even is your rape stubble have been worked on it still might be possible in getting a few pigeons before the seed start germinating . Go on give it a go , you know you want to :good:

8 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Will it be worth me booking this field again for Friday how long do farmers usually leave rape stubble before ploughing it in or the is a pea field but I’m not gonna have time to reccy it

Well done on your first solo outing, will it shoot again? Good question, as marsh man said if its had rain on it and starts germinating I doubt its worth it, rape stubble tends to have a short shelf life when it gets damp/wet and as you say the farmer may start to brake it down for direct drilling, pity you cannot get to have a look at the pea field.

Its hard when you are working and have little time for looking at different fields and trying to find one that will possibly shoot in three or four days time, this time of year will possibly give you your best opportunity for a good bag before the hard times come on winter rape.

Good luck for the future outings  :good:

1 hour ago, kenholland said:

that's a good score for your first attempt , maybe you were trying to hard at every bird you shot at , so next time just take easy , and you might not miss so many , we have all been there , so don't worry , just as a matter of interest what gun , carts , and choke were you using .

Gun is an 12b ATA bronze  sporter with 1/4 & 1/2 chokes and carts are hull superfast pigeon 6/29g  it’s all a learning curve I’ve only been shooting shotguns for 7 month so the lead on pigeons is something I need to learn and I think I was trying too hard and rushing my shot or trying some that where way out of my talent range

19 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Gun is an 12b ATA bronze  sporter with 1/4 & 1/2 chokes and carts are hull superfast pigeon 6/29g  it’s all a learning curve I’ve only been shooting shotguns for 7 month so the lead on pigeons is something I need to learn and I think I was trying too hard and rushing my shot or trying some that where way out of my talent range

If you feel your skills are lacking, my advice is to do some serious work on the skeet range. It is the ideal discipline to learn to tackle decoying pigeons. Get good at skeet and you should be able to manage decoying pigeons well enough.

Edited by motty