Game farms🤯

I wont mention who but its in the middle of the country!  but thus year has been horrendous the birds i received anythjng from 6-8 weeks  all small aswell ive had nothing but trouble with them from the day they came out the crate! Has jt just been a bad year or are the horror stories of this place true!  

We raised 400 day olds and bought in 400 poults. All our birds are looking good, very upright and growing well, been in the pens 3 weeks so plenty out and about but they are walked back ok. Some have found a maize cover crop others are out sunning themselves. A fantastic sight to see.

With the push on limiting medication and antibiotics this may of had a effect on your birds, but no game farm that I know off would let birds leave it they were not ok.

Edited by rimfire4969

4 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

We raised 400 day olds and bought in 400 poults. All our birds are looking good, very upright and growing well, been in the pens 3 weeks so plenty out and about but they are walked back ok. Some have found a maize cover crop others are out sunning themselves. A fantastic sight to see.

With the push on limiting medication and antibiotics this may of had a effect on your birds, but no game farm that I know off would let birds leave it they were not ok.

Had one :Lancashire based game farm admit to driving our birds up and down the motorway to keep the birds cool with the air conditioning as they had been loaded at 4pm the previous afternoon.  Needless to say that was the last time they had our order. 

Ordered from Walkers at Enville from then on and collected ourselves and they where in the pens within 90 minutes. Never had a bad bird from that day on. 

Seems to be more Hexamita about this year, wet weather and small poults not helping, birds dying within day or two of delivery , Vet post mortem confirmed Hexamita, medication in water supply cleared up problem within days.........replacement birds received from game farm.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/08/2019 at 16:03, Tomh111 said:

I wont mention who but its in the middle of the country!  but thus year has been horrendous the birds i received anythjng from 6-8 weeks  all small aswell ive had nothing but trouble with them from the day they came out the crate! Has jt just been a bad year or are the horror stories of this place true!  

'Middle' of the country, you say? I've literally  just come to the forum to see if anyone else has had problems this year similar to ours - and it seems we are not alone. We've lost nearly 40% of our released birds within 2 weeks of release. Are there actual 'horror stories' as you say? We've been in touch with the owner and, so far, he's blaming us, the ground, our pen. Even though the delivery was delayed due to unresolved health issue with birds at this game farm. Game Conservancy site says HEX doesn't lie dormant in the ground and dies between 2 - 5 days. But, in a pen, birds exposed to the faeces of infected birds rapidly become infected themselves. All this appears to indicate the problem came in with the birds?

16 hours ago, Mymwood said:

'Middle' of the country, you say? I've literally  just come to the forum to see if anyone else has had problems this year similar to ours - and it seems we are not alone. We've lost nearly 40% of our released birds within 2 weeks of release. Are there actual 'horror stories' as you say? We've been in touch with the owner and, so far, he's blaming us, the ground, our pen. Even though the delivery was delayed due to unresolved health issue with birds at this game farm. Game Conservancy site says HEX doesn't lie dormant in the ground and dies between 2 - 5 days. But, in a pen, birds exposed to the faeces of infected birds rapidly become infected themselves. All this appears to indicate the problem came in with the birds?

I am very surprised a game farm don't take some responsibility. To lose 40% within 2 weeks of delivery is terrible. I am no expert but I would think the birds came in to you with something underlying, even though it may have been treated but the stress of the move kicked it in again. I have been raising and buying Pheasants for many years and have never heard of such a bad loss without a massive weather or predator problem.

Just helped clip over 600 late poults and they where top hole. Well feathered and strong. I believe from a game farm up near Oswestry.  Just had a call to say my first day on the partridge has had to be cancelled because of a serious outbreak of disease and that is also Shropshire.  Medicated food initially is common sense.

• 1 month later...

Apparent heavy oosses in north Lincolnshire to disease this year will effect the number of days available.  Not easy to control when it happens as many many years of releasing birds has proven. Serious disinfection of all items and pens is essential no shortcuts and quality medicated feed.  OK it cost a few quid more but the result is pounds in .