Scottish Sporting Championship

Cawdor118

No need to be an association member to shoot the competition, your entry will be targets only as a guest and you are very welcome to come along.

It will be shot over 14 stands and a fair test for all abilities, every target will be set specifically for this shoot and on a bit of the ground that nobody has shot on before.

I very much hope it is a good shoot as i'm setting the targets 😎

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

No need to be an association member to shoot the competition, your entry will be targets only as a guest and you are very welcome to come along.

It will be shot over 14 stands and a fair test for all abilities, every target will be set specifically for this shoot and on a bit of the ground that nobody has shot on before.

They usually are Grrclark, looking forward to it mate! 👌

On 14/08/2019 at 23:01, grrclark said:

Neil? I spoke to Neil earlier this week and he advised as you have said - "just turn up". I was considering joining the SCTA again tonight just so i could keep the score however i cant remember my number to re-register online. I'm taking my missus down, but she wont shoot it as she doesn't like the pressure. Very much looking forward to it.

16 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

Neil? I spoke to Neil earlier this week and he advised as you have said - "just turn up". I was considering joining the SCTA again tonight just so i could keep the score however i cant remember my number to re-register online. I'm taking my missus down, but she wont shoot it as she doesn't like the pressure. Very much looking forward to it.

you should be able to find your membership number here. https://database.scta.co.uk/league/classificationLeagueTable?discipline_id=6&time_period_id=195&category=0&sortby=%&page=1&commit=Search

3 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I hope you managed to get along today and I daresay if you did I passed you at some point or other as i was dashing round, if I had known who you were I would have said hello and introduced myself.

Yes, made it down and a very interesting shoot it was, especially with the wind. Its a lovely location and you guys did a great job. I was rather disappointed with my shooting after a brilliant start - but that's life. I had the first zero on a stand i can remember in my shooting life, so very well done to you ha ha (stand 7? 2 x left to right on the telehandler). You weren't wearing light green by chance? topping up traps? Cheers :good:

8 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I hope you managed to get along today and I daresay if you did I passed you at some point or other as i was dashing round, if I had known who you were I would have said hello and introduced myself.

** What was the winning score by the way? I would have expected high 80's? 

Stand 7 was 2 left to right battues, first off the telehandler and the second off the deck, although both targets needed a big gap it was the line that beat many people.  The first target was dropping quickly at the kill point and the second was still marginally climbing, but losing steam.  I'm sorry to have blanked your card on that stand.

You're right about the wind, it was an absolute menace.  A steady blow is ok, but it was gusting more than double at times and that is a stinker.

Shooting around the pond was nice, it kept it nice and compact for the shooters and it gave it a nice feel.

Graham Stirzaker won the shoot with a very good 93, which is one above where I thought it would be, and another 3 guys on 90, Scott Barnett, Brian McGhee and Lewis Greenhowe.

It was David wearing the light green, I had a burgundy coloured jumper on which matched the colour of my face as i trotted around, i'm not designed to run.

Thanks for coming along to the shoot, it's the sportrap championship next Sunday.  It is Stewart who runs the ground that is setting the targets for that one.  I only did today as Stewart was shooting it with a chance to win and it would have been controversial if he won his own shoot.

18 hours ago, grrclark said:

Stand 7 was 2 left to right battues, first off the telehandler and the second off the deck, although both targets needed a big gap it was the line that beat many people.  The first target was dropping quickly at the kill point and the second was still marginally climbing, but losing steam.  I'm sorry to have blanked your card on that stand.

You're right about the wind, it was an absolute menace.  A steady blow is ok, but it was gusting more than double at times and that is a stinker.

Shooting around the pond was nice, it kept it nice and compact for the shooters and it gave it a nice feel.

Graham Stirzaker won the shoot with a very good 93, which is one above where I thought it would be, and another 3 guys on 90, Scott Barnett, Brian McGhee and Lewis Greenhowe.

It was David wearing the light green, I had a burgundy coloured jumper on which matched the colour of my face as i trotted around, i'm not designed to run.

Thanks for coming along to the shoot, it's the sportrap championship next Sunday.  It is Stewart who runs the ground that is setting the targets for that one.  I only did today as Stewart was shooting it with a chance to win and it would have been controversial if he won his own shoot.

That's the very stand! I just couldn't work out where i was going with them at all. I must admit, i did like the fact it was all the way around the pond. 93 was exceptional considering the conditions earlier in the day. 

I'm pretty sure i seen you at stand 2 when 'PeterC' was asked to wait before he shot? It was a trap refill. 

Very good day out anyway, i enjoyed it. 

Yes, i asked Peter to stop shooting, i was like a drowned rat by then.

I hate having to close stands, especially interrupting a squad shooting, but there were a couple of traps out in that area that were in the line of fire for that green crosser on 2.  That was when the only battery to fail all day went down too, on the incomer on stand 3 which was the simo pair.

On those battues they were either missed behind as they needed a good gap or over the top.

I think there was only 3 or 4 sixes on that stand.

The original thought was to throw a sim pair of battues, but it was mental.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 20:48, grrclark said:

Yes, i asked Peter to stop shooting, i was like a drowned rat by then.

I hate having to close stands, especially interrupting a squad shooting, but there were a couple of traps out in that area that were in the line of fire for that green crosser on 2.  That was when the only battery to fail all day went down too, on the incomer on stand 3 which was the simo pair.

On those battues they were either missed behind as they needed a good gap or over the top.

I think there was only 3 or 4 sixes on that stand.

The original thought was to throw a sim pair of battues, but it was mental.

One of the sixes was mine🤗, and to be fair it was the most lead I have ever given a target. 

Nice course Graham👌

15 hours ago, bunnykiller said:

One of the sixes was mine🤗, and to be fair it was the most lead I have ever given a target. 

Nice course Graham👌

Thanks 🙂

A 6 on that stand was very good booming.  I had a 5 and was happy when I shot it myself.  I shot like a haddie for the rest of it unfortunately.

As is the story of my life I tend to do well on the big stuff and miss the easier, evidence of that again on your layout at Auldgirth on Sunday.  Could have been a very credible 17 or 18 even, but missing straight driven and those two noddy climbers on peg 3 with full use of the gun was woeful.  Although don’t fancy that teal again from peg 2.

6 hours ago, grrclark said:

Thanks 🙂

A 6 on that stand was very good booming.  I had a 5 and was happy when I shot it myself.  I shot like a haddie for the rest of it unfortunately.

As is the story of my life I tend to do well on the big stuff and miss the easier, evidence of that again on your layout at Auldgirth on Sunday.  Could have been a very credible 17 or 18 even, but missing straight driven and those two noddy climbers on peg 3 with full use of the gun was woeful.  Although don’t fancy that teal again from peg 2.

It was definitely the layout that sorted the wheat from the chaff. After hitting the D bird on peg three the rest were gimmies, Donkey🤪