New permission

Tallshort

Hi All.

I have just been given permission from a work colleague to shoot his 100 acre farm for the purpose of vermin control. Now this sounds great but its left me with a dilemma...he main pests are rabbits and Foxes and this is what he wants controlling but I only have a SGC. Now I know I could get a moderated 410 for the bunnies but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to control foxes with a Shotgun.

So the questions I have are:

• What are the best way to control foxes and bunnies without a rifle?
  • Is it worth applying for my FAC and if so what would be the best rifle/calibre etc for the job?
  • Are there any restrictions on selling bunnies (lead shot etc) that I do kill?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

hello, apply for a FAC get a CZ 455 22 L/R in the mean time fox at night with red torch for spotting and a white torch some how fitted to your shotgun, what shotgun do you have ? you will only get one shot unless you get a moderated single 12 guage, 50 yards max, when you get a rimfire a side focus scope and something like a Pard 007, but a red torch fitted on the scope can be ok, i am just a learner with foxing and about the same 100 acres, 3 fields 2 paddocks, dont forget a couple of fox calls or you can make one, search out on here a post with steve b wales, good luck 

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, apply for a FAC get a CZ 455 22 L/R in the mean time fox at night with red torch for spotting and a white torch some how fitted to your shotgun, what shotgun do you have ? you will only get one shot unless you get a moderated single 12 guage, 50 yards max, when you get a rimfire a side focus scope and something like a Pard 007, but a red torch fitted on the scope can be ok, i am just a learner with foxing and about the same 100 acres, 3 fields 2 paddocks, dont forget a couple of fox calls or you can make one, search out on here a post with steve b wales, good luck 

Or kiss the back of your hand, never had a fox call and I have squeaked a few foxes over the years.

15 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use a shotgun on the foxes? 

Yes the main reason is I have never done it. I have shot foxes with a rifle at night with a friend but I have never done hunted foxes myself with a shotgun. I have flushed a few out when beating or walking up on a small shoot I go on but its no ground game for safety reasons and I really wouldn't know where to start.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Thanks Steve I have an ATA Bronze and an old English s&s. Could try a mag light with a bit of gorilla tape?

16 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Don't know much about it myself so correct me if I am wrong!? but if you've got land permission on that scale can you not apply for full f.a.c? Control what you can now with the shotgun & once/if granted thin the rest out with the appropriate rifles? 

Yes I can apply now but its not something I had given any thought too before. Is it worth applying for a FAC and buying a rifle or could I do the job with what I have? 

5 minutes ago, Tallshort said:

Yes I can apply now but its not something I had given any thought too before. Is it worth applying for a FAC and buying a rifle or could I do the job with what I have? 

Yes apply for your FAC, no you will not control foxes with a shotgun, you may get an occasional shot, but a rifle is the correct tool for the job.

50 minutes ago, Tallshort said:

Yes the main reason is I have never done it. I have shot foxes with a rifle at night with a friend but I have never done hunted foxes myself with a shotgun. I have flushed a few out when beating or walking up on a small shoot I go on but its no ground game for safety reasons and I really wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks Steve I have an ATA Bronze and an old English s&s. Could try a mag light with a bit of gorilla tape?

hello, you would be better off with one of the T20/ range torches, not to expensive,  with a thumb switch,  would go under the side by side with tape, google T20 hunting torch, most need a 18650 battery £20 should buy a kit.

3 hours ago, Tallshort said:

Ive got a perm that's around 120 acres and I'm fairly happy using the shotgun on most of it but I'd be a bit wary with a rifle considering back stops etc. 

As stimmer said, 36g of 3's will do it nicely, I've been using 35g 4's to good effect too. I can understand a concern as you havent done it before but a 12 is a good tool for the job. 

• 4 weeks later...

OK have had a nice work round and spotted at least 3 foxes, a large number of rabbits, Pigeons and Crows so I have plenty to go at.

Couple of questions on the general licence...there is no arable farming on his farm so does this mean I cannot take pigeons as they are not damaging "his" crops. Same thing regarding the crows.