Trying to ban hands free phones

krugerandsmith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean completely banning talking on the phone whilst driving? If so it would follow a ban on talking to passengers in the car would be next! Do modern cars not have built in telephony? Will you have to rip that out?

Genuine questions, as I'm a something of a technophobe! 🙄

Edited by panoma1

Most people who recognise the dangers of holding a handset will also be users of "hands free" options.  Banning "hands free" options will make criminals of everyone and will be impossible to police.

this is either a ruse to promote driver-less cars (tongue in cheek) or is a slow news announcement which will evaporate  in the hurricane of Brexit

cheers

Gdadphil 

Like many others with blue tooth connectivity  .i can make a phone call to any body using only the controls of my vehicle even if my phone is actually locked in the boot ..

Am i legally allowed to use the buttons and swithces provided in my car .? .

If not. Then driverless cars are the next step .

Very interesting to see so many of you making light of this subject.

If the figures are rising, then there is a problem.

People using hands free mobile phones are reportedly not paying attention to the road ahead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/driving-phone-hands-free-ban-uk-laws-a9055131.html

Consequently larger fines or a ban are being considered. 

Hopefully if enough drivers are convicted of driving without due care or more serious categories then it may just sort out the problem.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Addition of link.

I see motorists jumping red lights, using mobiles, crazy fast speeding, dangerous overtaking every day on my commute to work.

I put it down to frustration, not that i excuse it. They're are so many cars on the road now, continual roadworks because of the increase in road use and people are in such a rush, they take risks.

Point is, I very rarely see a cop car. Never mind seeing one pull a dodgy driver over. They can make up all the laws they want and argue the case for and against them, but if theres no enforcement you're ******* against the wind. Thats not a dig against the Police but just my observation.

no matter what gets banned there will always be people who are bad drivers you can never stop them unless you ban all transport  if you watch police programs on tv you will see them tilting their heads to speak in a radio on their jacket           now they say you should have your both hands on the steering wheel  to be driving safely  but that dosent count for police who crash all the time 

This would also have apply to the police. So they wont be allowed to call the station /control from a police car on the radio or phone or be allowed to look at their info screens while driving. 

Or operate any buttons which arent directly related to making the car move .

Just saying 

its not only mobiles and stuff ...........we are entering a new geological age........"the Banning age"...........there is just so much stuff folk want to ban.........ban anything somone dosnt like......

it started with "ban the bomb"......(well proberly started long before that)

14 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

This would also have apply to the police. So they wont be allowed to call the station /control from a police car on the radio or phone or be allowed to look at their info screens while driving. 

Just saying 

i.e. changing channels on your radio - imagine getting stuck on *Chris Evans* on a long journey.

*substitute your least favourite DJ*

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its not only mobiles and stuff ...........we are entering a new geological age........"the Banning age"...........there is just so much stuff folk want to ban.........ban anything somone dosnt like......

it started with "ban the bomb"......(well proberly started long before that)

Probably started in the stone age (ban the clubs)

Bronze age (ban the blunt weapons)

Iron age (ban the sharp weapons)

It’s crazy in my van I can dial a number in on the tiny button radio screen legally . I admit the buttons on the steering wheel are awesome. I can control most things without moving my hands. 

My mate was done for using his iPod to select music but then again he didn’t have fast food delivery on his insurance either lol. 6 points

12 minutes ago, team tractor said:

It’s crazy in my van I can dial a number in on the tiny button radio screen legally . I admit the buttons on the steering wheel are awesome. I can control most things without moving my hands. 

My mate was done for using his iPod to select music but then again he didn’t have fast food delivery on his insurance either lol. 6 points

Changing radio stations does not take long and will not be as involved as chatting away at length on a mobile phone, whether hands free or not.

58 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Changing radio stations does not take long and will not be as involved as chatting away at length on a mobile phone, whether hands free or not.

And neither does the time it takes to crash.... what’s the difference of chatting to a passenger or passengers than it is to an hands free .. how many of us if not all look in the rear view to talk to a passenger in the back... I recently had an hire car that put a lengthy message on the centre console screen to tell me that it was dangerous to take my eyes off of the road now that’s genius by Vauxhall

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

no matter what gets banned there will always be people who are bad drivers you can never stop them unless you ban all transport  if you watch police programs on tv you will see them tilting their heads to speak in a radio on their jacket           now they say you should have your both hands on the steering wheel  to be driving safely  but that dosent count for police who crash all the time 

I think you will find 2 way radios (and variants)  are exempt from the legislation anyway 

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Just saying 

Apparantly not! They are specially trained to use incar communications!! :no: 😆 Have you ever heard such a load of dog****!