Trying to ban hands free phones

krugerandsmith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid Idea, what's worse holding a phone conversation or having kids or friends talking to you from the back seat. My phone is in my works bag in the boot when I leave work, if I need to text or email I then have to stop and get out the car. I use my cars steering wheel controls to work my blue tooth connectivity 

Edited by washerboy

drinking or eating is banned is it not i saw a news report about traffic cops charged a women that was sitting in her car at traffic light eating or drinking something she got charged with not being in control of the vehicle  also the car was not in gear the hand brake was also on

Edited by scarecrow243

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

they will be banning stupid people from driving next....................................

my god the roads will be empty 

I TOTALLY agree with that one  !

I would simply ban the religious drivers,  those who's heads are bowed in prayer at every set of traffic lights. Maybe they are praying for someone to actually STOP on red.

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Can we still roll a fag and drink a coffee not to bothered about answering the phone as I usually spill the coffee and get the fag wet when I try 😊😉

what about all them bloody reps speeding down the motorway....piddling into a empty milk container whilst speeding and tailgating then chucking out of the window........the roads are littered with half full cartons of "lucozade"

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what about all them bloody reps speeding down the motorway....piddling into a empty milk container whilst speeding and tailgating then chucking out of the window........the roads are littered with half full cartons of "lucozade"

It makes them not very nice to recycle so definitely ban reps 

and any eco car 

well they don’t pay as much as us 4x4 drivers 🙄

i know that this wont be very popular , but i think its a good idea . my opinion is based on what i see with my own eyes every day while im working , i see folks driving around that are totally oblivious to anything that is going on around them , the only thing that they are aware of is their phone conversation , its quite frightening to watch at times , i regularly watch as drivers miss the loaders on my truck(refuse collection vehicle) by inches , and many times the bins that the loaders have been holding (sometimes even on the pavement) get hit by cars , the drivers sort of snap out of the phone conversation and look bewildered , ive also watched drivers just drive straight into things whilst on the phone ,  its very disturbing to watch.

i feel quite strongly about it as its something that i have personal and real life  experience of , i also think that people that text at the wheel should receive an instant driving ban  , god knows how it could ever be policed though , at present it appears that anyone can pretty much get away with anything whilst driving , their is only repercussions after an accident has already happened.

14 hours ago, bostonmick said:

There was also a suggestion that sat nav should be banned. The joy of driving with a map on your lap is to return as a safer option. 

Sat Nav on your phone is already technically illegal when driving. They told me that on my speed awareness course. The law says you cannot use your phone when driving, it doesn't discriminate what that use is. Neither does it say that putting your phone it a cradle makes it legal.

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Sat Nav on your phone is already technically illegal when driving. They told me that on my speed awareness course. The law says you cannot use your phone when driving, it doesn't discriminate what that use is. Neither does it say that putting your phone it a cradle makes it legal.

VG I think you might have been given wrong info - https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

They should include driving whilst using hands free as part of the test. The test should be significantly harder than it is, to raise the standard of driving. If you are unable to multi task in a complex and quickly changing environment you should not be driving. 

I can usually spot when someone is hands free, either just receiving or making a call as they seem to noticeably slow down and with then speed up to rejoin the speed of the traffic.

I dont see it with people having a conversation with a passenger as much for some reason, i dont know what it is but the speaking on hands free seems to require more 'concentration' 

Im sure those that spend a lot of time behind the wheel will notice the same?

I do see people at traffic lights who are head down, either texting or reading social media, that needs to stop, another one is people with expensive cars who obviously have built in bluetooth using the phone handheld, and those who use it on speakerphone whilst holding it (randomly mostly overweight late 20s women for some reason) 

Followed an Audi back up the Fosse yesterday afternoon and it was obvious the driver was on the phone AND referring to paperwork at the same time. All over the road and almost mounted the verge a couple of times. A total menace.  I do not answer my mobile whilst driving. It is also always on silent / vibrate, so I know if someone has called but anyone I am in company with doesn't get interrupted by some silly jingle.  I can refer to it when convenient.  The world seemed to turn quite well back before we had these phones and I am sure still could today.

I would support all 'useage of mobiles whilst driving a vehicle being banned, even hands free.  The reference to emergency vehicle drivers use is irrelevant as they should be trained accordingly along with their driving skills.

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I never use the sat nav on a phone as the Internet is such rubbish you could be twenty miles off course before you know it. The report I heard it was all sat nav. 

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Followed an Audi back up the Fosse yesterday afternoon and it was obvious the driver was on the phone AND referring to paperwork at the same time. All over the road and almost mounted the verge a couple of times. A total menace.  I do not answer my mobile whilst driving. It is also always on silent / vibrate, so I know if someone has called but anyone I am in company with doesn't get interrupted by some silly jingle.  I can refer to it when convenient.  The world seemed to turn quite well back before we had these phones and I am sure still could today.

I would support all 'useage of mobiles whilst driving a vehicle being banned, even hands free.  The reference to emergency vehicle drivers use is irrelevant as they should be trained accordingly along with their driving skills.

I don't always agree with everything you say old chap but on this occasion I'm with you 100%. There is NO need for using a mobile phone whilst driving. Nothing is more important than the safety of yourself and other road users. My boss knows full well that I will not answer my phone whilst driving, even hands-free. My wife too. A friend of ours was killed a couple of years ago by a van driver on an "important call". Don't tell me that so called "professional drivers" are in some way qualified to drive (safely) and talk on a phone at the same time. Stuff the modern world - as Walker says above, we survived very happily before these stupid gadgets were invented.

7 hours ago, 243deer said:

VG I think you might have been given wrong info - https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

No it comes under having any "live" screen visible to the driver apparently and it pre dates the phone legislation. I agree though its confusing and unclear. When I used to drive between South Wales and London most weeks on a Sunday evening  I regularly saw people with things like MOTD or Shrek playing on ipads or phones visible on the dash when I was following them. 

Presumably for the benefit of a passenger but if its on and you are driving you are going to start watching too. Its all too easy these days

Edited by Vince Green

On 13/08/2019 at 17:56, ditchman said:

Really? I wondered why it tasted so much worse than getting straight from the shop. Mind you, I’ve saved a fortune.