The end of the line

henry d

IMG_0196.JPG.3cbaa46871a1c8f1f2c0745923f818b0.JPG

Said goodbye to her two weeks ago as she had tumours in her lungs and nipples, along with being mainly blind, deaf (not just the spaniel special selective deafness), arthritis and terminal death breath.

3 months short of 16 years she started her career at 10 months old watching the picking up at partridge shoots and within a month was picking up, then picking up at the grouse, pheasant beating, rough shooting, wildfowling, inland decoying, pigeons and more. She picked woodcock and snipe, all types of duck and corvids something many spaniels can be choosy about and even though she was small she would manage to pick greys and canadas along with hares dead or pricked.

I was privileged to have such a great working dog and a fine house dog, but that will be the last as my arthritis is stopping a lot of my hobbies and interests, or even opening jam jars, perhaps we may get a companion dog when we are really old and wrinkly, but I doubt it as they are such heart breakers.

Edited by henry d
typo

Every dog breaks your heart - Eventually.

I feel for you henry d.

Get that companion dog now mate.   Enjoy the company.

My disabled wife has a lapdog called Rosie.   Ugly little mutt of unknown parentage but she is The Memsahib's life.   Drives me and my two labs up the wall but she is a vital part of keeping this old household sane and reasonably happy.   Couldn't be without a dog of some sort.   They are all individuals. 

Stunning looking Dog - my heart goes out to you, unless you have experienced the highs and lows, the passion of hunting together and the undying love of a good dog then you have never felt the heavy pain of losing such a dear friend. Chin up - fill yourself up with Prednisolone and find a rescue Spaniel to bring new life into the house. If you dont have a Dog then you will be less likely to be active - not a wise choice.

Thanks for the replies, although there is a dog shaped hole in my heart the hardest thing now is how I live my life. Over quarter of a century of taking the mutts out in all weathers first thing, middle of the day and last thing, no keeping the last bits of tuna in the tin for the dog(s) no sudden brush of a cold wet nose on the back of my leg just to make sure I know that they know I am preparing food, and all the rest of the idiosyncrasies of human animal relationships that we jointly learn over time. We do however have a larger living room and vacuuming is now a doddle.

I'm still walking and going to the gym, and in a years time my wife retires so there will be lots of activities as lounging around will not be an option.

Sad sad day when this comes around and I have been there too many times.  Just think of all those good times you have had together, it does help. Almost never a day goes by that my wife or I will recollect one of our dogs being involved in a similar incident and memories flow back.  At the age of 79 I decided I could not take on another dog so everyone I meet these days gets a cuddle.  If she worked half as well as she looks I am sure those memories will flow back.