Jimny

Jacko3275

When I looked at them they were not so cheap on tax, rubbish on fuel. The back was not big enough for a rifle bag and a deer without a bit of shuffling. I am 6'2" and shooting out a window was not so easy.  I am sure for some they are great I only wish they were just a little bigger.

They are very good, light across the ground and fun to drive also easy to park. Wife and son have a older one as a offroad toy and shopping car and both like it.

Back seats fold down to get your kit in. Not sure about running costs.  The new ones are very good my parents returns 38mpg just general driving around some town and dual carriageway.

On 13/08/2019 at 22:56, figgy said:

They are very good, light across the ground and fun to drive also easy to park. Wife and son have a older one as a offroad toy and shopping car and both like it.

Back seats fold down to get your kit in. Not sure about running costs.  The new ones are very good my parents returns 38mpg just general driving around some town and dual carriageway.

That the brand new model? Shame it's so ugly.

People cry out that they wished they had just made them a bit bigger, slightly bigger engine etc. Some lads have taken the back seats out and just have it as a 2 seat vehicle with more room in the back. They are apparently very good off road but prone to rust underneath and have something go wrong with some pins that causes "death wobble". 

I am very tempted to sell my focus and get one as a run around for work and going shooting / out with the dog. The rubbish fuel economy is only thing putting me off really. 

The king pins and the death wobble, it isn't that hard to fix.

Undersealing helps with any rust issues. Same as any car not undersealed they will get rust.

There good at what they do, and great for in town parking. Can run along margins being narrow. 

Its true that the mpg is not outstanding and the tax is high but,,the point is that you are using it as a recreational vehicle rather than a long distance every day commuter. If can afford it as a shooting and knocking about toy then its perfect. I can get a rifle bag,two roe and a dog in the back of mine with ease with the rear seats dropped. Alternatively,two of us with all our pigeon shooting gear is equally easy. Its quirky that's for sure but as others have said its easy to correct its typical failings. The 4wd vacuum system can try your patience but ultimately you can just fit manual hubs and all your troubles are gone. It may be heresy to say so but its the Japanese equivalent of a Land Rover which when well looked after and understood will do you very nicely as a shoot vehicle.

Is 37 MPG really that bad about town ?

Last month ours returned 42.5mpg driven steady on a day trip out to North Wales with me and the wife in and two terriers on their box.

Am very happy with ours, had it with 27k on the clock and now its done 134k, its my shooting truck and every day motor just wish the price hadnt gone up on them. When Mine dies it will be replaced with another without hesitation.

1 hour ago, salop sniper said:

Last month ours returned 42.5mpg driven steady on a day trip out to North Wales with me and the wife in and two terriers on their box.

Am very happy with ours, had it with 27k on the clock and now its done 134k, its my shooting truck and every day motor just wish the price hadnt gone up on them. When Mine dies it will be replaced with another without hesitation.

?????? Wow. Now that is seriously impressive economy. The ones I have tried would barely break 30 mpg. Fuelly has the best of the petrol ones at no more than 32 mpg. Even the 2019 models are only averaging 24 mpg. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

?????? Wow. Now that is seriously impressive economy. The ones I have tried would barely break 30 mpg. Fuelly has the best of the petrol ones at no more than 32 mpg. Even the 2019 models are only averaging 24 mpg. 

Who told you the 2019 models are only returning 24 mpg? That must be driven hard around town or off-road. Even our little old Jimny does more than that round town. 

Parents new model auto is returning high 30's with mixed driving.

Edited by figgy

21 hours ago, salop sniper said:

Which model and year do you have? If I could get that kind of return I would seriously consider one. 

Seen some people reporting that they get mid 20’s 😣.

I used to have a jimny, had all terrains on the front and muds on the back, used to get about 34 mpg driving around town,, with me the dog wife and camping gear in we did 700 miles and averaged 32 mpg.
70 mph is as fast as you want to go, and probably about as fast as some will go, i had my back seats removed and then put a shelf 1 foot above the base, so my guns would go underneath with some kit, and dog and other kit on the top.
It was a fantastic vehicle off road, never got stuck, went to a military drinking weekend in a field, only 4 vehicles managed to drive out because of the thick deep mud, 2 fully tricked landies a landcruiser and my little jimny that at the start people were laughing but they soon changed their tune as it flew across the field.

Rust got to mine in the end, the sills were totally shot, i sold it to a lad who tricked it out for off road trials.
I would buy another, and think the new one is a great little thing, there is quite a waiting list for them.

Pic is with just all terrains on

jimny.jpg

57 minutes ago, John_R said:

Were those on when you got out of the muddy field you mention above?

I'm curious about a Jimny myself for off road but I would always need about 20 miles or more tarmac there and back. 

I had mud tyres all round when i got out of the field i mentioned, i drove from south wales to yorkshire for the weekend in a muddy field with no problems, but with just those all terrains on the jimny is very good off road, to get to that field where the pic was taken i drove 13 miles on tarmac and then half a mile down a muddy rutted track.
It's secret is it's weight, it glides across the surface lol.

And the 700 mile trip we took was with all terrain on the front and the muds on the rear.

My Outlander PHEV on Geolanders does pretty well.  I spent the last two days working on a very muddy site and did fine. The ground was waterlogged grass that had been well trashed with traffic.  

However I do recognise the limits hence thinking of a Jimny for the proper rough stuff.

Edited by John_R

On 20/08/2019 at 14:58, Lloyd90 said:

Which model and year do you have? If I could get that kind of return I would seriously consider one. 

Seen some people reporting that they get mid 20’s 😣.

Mine is a 2005 registered, VVT model / engine. 

Am sat in work now and have only been driving it around town to work etc on this tank of fuel, on my way home I will fill it and work out the MPG on this tank but from a fill so far am upto 280 miles and no fuel light but fuel is low.

Its completely standard bar Maxxis Bravo AT 771 tyres, I give it an oil and filter change every 10k miles and its great. Not as quick as it used to be but I don`t need it be any quicker either, 60 / 65 mph and am happily plodding along  (remember speed limit is only 70 mph anyway for cars and lorries are 60 mph with some vehicles restricted to 57 MPH) I still get everywhere I need to including to tow out two of the three disco`s on our shoot as one fellow member on here will confirm :lol:

I have the rear seats permanently folded down and have made two shelves to go in for different jobs. I also as standard carry a fair bit of kit to cover other vehicle breakdowns and accidents with me (2 x 2 ton ratchet straps,  10mtr tow strop 3 tone rated with shackles, two fire extinguishers, adjustable tuque bar, socket set, bottle jack, 12v air compressor, amber beacon, warning triangle, spare assorted tools, good first aid kit, bungee cords and tie down straps and hi-vis clothing) Also the dog box is constantly in there. So the vehicle inst as light as it could be.

Fuel wise am not too fussy but: Shell, Asda & Sainsburys are y most common re-fuelling options.

As I say i will work out MPG and update later  :good: