Greta Thunberg

Pistol p

Greta Thunberg, the eco wonder child, is going to sail a racing boat from Europe to America. It will be a “zero carbon” trip because the boat will be powered by wind, solar and water turbine power. Wow. But the boat is made from carbon fibre. Which is not cheap. And requires a lot of heat and energy to produce it. And a lot of manpower, skilled and also not cheap, to manufacture. This manpower will travel to work, probably in cars. Not to mention the additional alloys, composites, skilled metal work and finishing skills, materials and solvents. I’m sure you understand my cynicism on this. It’s just that it maybe a little more accurate if she was to under take this “challenge “ in an 800 year old Viking longboat.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She's a 'consumer', and has been ever since her conception, just like everyone else on the planet. Some of us consume less, some more, but we're all consumers one way or another, and a drain on the planets resources, and as such no one has the right to claim the moral high ground over any other. That won't stop them doing so of course. 

It seems if your an oppressed Asian female campaigner, get shot in the head and survive, your fated by society/the media as a heroine and get a Nobel prize? Similarly Miss Thunberg is being fated by society/the media as a heroine and the saviour of the world......another Nobel prize winner in waiting?

Anyone can be publicised or publicise themselves as the campaigning hero and be influential, if they are given the media platform to do so............look at Packham!

31 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It seems if your an oppressed Asian female campaigner, get shot in the head and survive, your fated by society/the media as a heroine and get a Nobel prize? Similarly Miss Thunberg is being fated by society/the media as a heroine and the saviour of the world......another Nobel prize winner in waiting?

Anyone can be publicised or publicise themselves as the campaigning hero and be influential, if they are given the media platform to do so............look at Packham!

"arise Sir Christoper Packham...Knight of this realm"

quite a nice ring to it..........very distinguished.....

something something greta...something something.

More to the point the  Black and blue Marlin are staggering pieces of engineering! Not beautiful, but ruddy brilliant! It's just a pity they're dutch owned, so have to be painted bright orange now!

1 hour ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

I posted this on a boating forum, under "zero carbon my ****"

How will she & her followers / family get to NY & home, will the yacht be transported back by ship. Will helio`s be used in the promo film ect ect 

concordia_2.jpg

Yes this is the same ship

aankomst-black-marlin-18-cascos-port-of-

11 hours ago, Pistol p said:

Greta Thunberg, the eco wonder child, is going to sail a racing boat from Europe to America. It will be a “zero carbon” trip because the boat will be powered by wind, solar and water turbine power. Wow. But the boat is made from carbon fibre. Which is not cheap. And requires a lot of heat and energy to produce it. And a lot of manpower, skilled and also not cheap, to manufacture. This manpower will travel to work, probably in cars. Not to mention the additional alloys, composites, skilled metal work and finishing skills, materials and solvents. I’m sure you understand my cynicism on this. It’s just that it maybe a little more accurate if she was to under take this “challenge “ in an 800 year old Viking longboat.

Thor Hyadal, she's not!!

10 hours ago, oowee said:

I am full of admiration for some one so young being so courageous. We have to start somewhere. Small steps.  

😂 For one minute I did think you were serious... You weren't were you?

Greta only likes the good publicity, not the bad https://www.thegwpf.com/green-mini-dictator-greta-throws-news-journalists-out-of-climate-summit/

16 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It may well be down to her Aspergers? She believes she is leading a crusade, she is right and everyone else is wrong, she will not accept it is she who could be wrong!......note the similarity with Packham........who also has Aspergers?

absolutely right. Depending on the severity of her condition, she might lack the ability to understand the reality of grey areas. she thinks in binary and any problems are solved by just stopping that thing and doing something else. 

so if we take car production. her logic is:

cars are polluting. stop using them then. or buy electric. Problem solved.

Understanding that you cannot overnight remove every single petrol and diesel car from the streets might be beyond her, because if cars are bad then they should be stopped. Getting her to process that this would be impossible to do ain't gonna happen. She'd shut down every car production site in the country, and to hell with the jobs that would be lost, the fact that the vast majority of people can't afford to suddenly buy an electric car, that public transport can't cope with the numbers of people that use it now, let alone everyone being forced onto it, that rural areas would immediately be cut off because their public transport coverage is so poor, that the infrastructure isn't there for mass use of electric cars (yet) that we're not producing enough renewable energy to power them without using fossil fuels anyway...

I admire her tenacity and her overall goals are laudable and necessary, but you can't expect change to come so quickly with something so far reaching. it's the same as this extinction rebellion business. carbon zero by 2025? don't be daft it's impossible without bankrupting the country and putting millions out of work. it's hard enough to get a politician to promise then deliver something that's possible, let alone cloud cuckoo land!

54 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

😂 For one minute I did think you were serious... You weren't were you?

Greta only likes the good publicity, not the bad https://www.thegwpf.com/green-mini-dictator-greta-throws-news-journalists-out-of-climate-summit/

Are you in the climate change denial camp? ???

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I admire her tenacity and her overall goals are laudable and necessary, but you can't expect change to come so quickly with something so far reaching. it's the same as this extinction rebellion business. carbon zero by 2025? don't be daft it's impossible without bankrupting the country and putting millions out of work. it's hard enough to get a politician to promise then deliver something that's possible, let alone cloud cuckoo land!

^^^^^^ This but we have to do more than we are doing now and get real. There is little evidence to suggest that we will meet a 2050 target. 

Edited by oowee

She is a bad poster girl. It’s too easy to say everything and everybody must change because you know it won’t and you can be a lone prophet in the wilderness. It’s more difficult to come up with workable plans.

It is hypocritical to pretend this is a zero carbon trip when the embodied energy of a high tech racing boat will never be recouped in its life time. I’m too lazy to do the sums but I’d guess that the energy used in the lifetime of a plane is less than that yacht if divided by the number of people miles.

Also if someone behaves like an ignorant ***, is that excused by a personality disorder? I didn’t notice people defending Phillip green by saying it’s ok, he just has some of the psychopathic traits often associated with high power business persons.

On matters of national and worldwide importantance, which affect everyone, children should be seen and not heard........doubly children (and adults) with a diagnosed mental disorder which affects their decision making and ability to remain impartial their opinion should hold no weight!

Would a responsible parent give in to a child who insistently stamp their feet and scream hysterically, because they can't get their own way?......So why should society do so?

Edited by panoma1
Clarification

I think she is just a part of the ground swell of change for a sustainable world. Every town, every village, taking a part in the climate change emergency debate is a great thing. At the very least we get everyone talking about the issues and looking to see what difference they can make.