Sinn Fein

toontastic

I've finally decided to get myself a passport, and as I'm an Irish citizen I've chose to apply for an Irish one. Form nice and easy to fill in, no problem.

Just need to get it stamped and signed from someone on the list. Doctor's surgery of twenty years - refused, Bank of twenty five years - refused, Police station - refused, Six different solicitors office's - refused, local councillor - refused.

As I'm an ex soldier with loads of family and friends who served in either the UDR or RUC in the war against the IRA (including many who were killed or injured) I find it quite ironic that the only person I've found willing to stamp and sign my form is someone at the Sinn Fein office on the falls road.

2 minutes ago, toontastic said:

I've finally decided to get myself a passport, and as I'm an Irish citizen I've chose to apply for an Irish one. Form nice and easy to fill in, no problem.

Just need to get it stamped and signed from someone on the list. Doctor's surgery of twenty years - refused, Bank of twenty five years - refused, Police station - refused, Six different solicitors office's - refused, local councillor - refused.

As I'm an ex soldier with loads of family and friends who served in either the UDR or RUC in the war against the IRA (including many who were killed or injured) I find it quite ironic that the only person I've found willing to stamp and sign my form is someone at the Sinn Fein office on the falls road.

Changed your bank yet? & sent a letter to head office giving your reason?

6 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Out of curiosity did any of them give the reason for refusing? I know that when I got my first passport (Irish) they rang my school to check everything out. Every renewal has been a breeze since. 

They nearly all said that it's no longer policy to sign passport applications. A school is on the list of acceptable witnesses and renewals are a breeze as they are now online.

Edited by toontastic

17 minutes ago, toontastic said:

They nearly all said that it's no longer policy to sign passport applications. A school is on the list of acceptable witnesses and renewals are a breeze as they are now online.

That's an easy way to refuse by blaming "policy."

I would put money on the simple reason is that they have been told they cannot charge for the signature, so have stopped signing!

I think i would find someone before going to Sinn Fein, maybe you could get them to sign your FAC as well. :)

Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the witness may ask you for more proof of identification – this is at their discretion.

• Police officer
• School principal/vice principal / Teacher, School Secretary, Pre-school manager, Montessori teacher
• Member of clergy
• Medical doctor
• Lawyer
• Bank manager/assistant bank manager or Credit Union Manager or Assistant Manager
• Elected public representative
• Notary public/ commissioner for oaths
• Peace commissioner
• Accountant
• Dentist
• Vet
• Nurse
• Physiotherapist
• Speech Therapist
• Lecturer
• Pharmacist
• Chartered Engine

e

Edited by ordnance

8 hours ago, ordnance said:

I think i would find someone before going to Sinn Fein, maybe you could get them to sign your FAC as well. 

e

Like I'm ever going to walk down the falls road and into the offices of the enemy.

I just found it ironic that of all the people on the list who are able to sign stamp/sign my form, the only ones prepared to do it were the ones who have happily seen me dead all those years ago. 

In my first hand experience, Sinn Féin do a lot more for their constituents than any other party. The amount of people from Loyalist/Protestant areas who visit the Sinn Féin offices on the Falls Road would perhaps surprise you. The reason for this is that Sinn Féin get things done. They are fantastic at looking after their constituents. I for one cannot understand why people vote for other parties who do nothing but campaign to maintain the status quo.

Viewing Sinn Féin as the enemy shows a mindset that's still stuck in the past. Cutting your nose off to spite your face comes to mind.

I do them but charge unless it’s a friend/acquaintance, the problem is people get upset at the amount one needs to charge to replace normal work. It’s not like it’s extra work, it tends to end up displacing more profitable work. 

Colleagues who who have tried doing them for free in the hope it gets lots of people coming back for other work have found they get inundated once word gets round, but they don’t see any increase in paid work. 

The countersignatory on most applications is supposed to be necessary to prove you are who you say you are, hence the photo endorsement..
Why this has to be by someone from a list of so called "worthies" is ridiculous.
Their job title does not guarantee they are worthy.

I am in receipt of a private pension and every two years I have to get a statement signed by,  " anyone who has known you for over 5 years" , this is to prove I am still alive.
The signee has to print their name and address, which is obviously checkable and one assumes if any fraud or deception takes place they would be liable to prosecution, that should be sufficient deterrent for most people.