How to grass seed an area?

mgsontour

Firstly clear all the rubble and rubbish to at least a spade deep, then rotovate to be able to assess the soil structure and remove any bits of rubbish you have missed.  If seriously clay which it often is as builders just bury everything under a thin layer of turf, then you might need to have a load of top soil.  You don't say how large an area.  Once you have a good tilth then level and roll the area firm.  You don't say if you need a putting green or a 'working' lawn so choose a seed mix to suit.  I have just seeded an area, total 5yrds by 20yrds, with a general purpose hard wearing mix and having done the above, I simply raked the area to loosen the top surface, spread the seed from the purpose made box the seed came in as even as possible... more than less... and then raked it over again and rolled the area.  That was two months ago and I now have a thick growth of grass which I am having to cut every ten days with a ride on.  You can add a grass/lawn fertiliser if you wish but if the soil is good, then initially you shouldn't need it. See how it grows on.  Don't cut it too low the first year 1 1/2 to 2 inches and let it thicken up.