New shooting coat recommendations.

Down South

the best coat i have ever bought is made by percussion its totally water proof  not a wax coat   it has cartridge holders in both large pockets  hand warmer pockets  zipped  pocket etc built in hood ok for wind but not rain  rear large game pocket on the back of the jacket  i bought it in 2007  and still wear it bought from deben  the coat is heavy

2 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

the best coat i have ever bought is made by percussion its totally water proof  not a wax coat   it has cartridge holders in both large pockets  hand warmer pockets  zipped  pocket etc built in hood ok for wind but not rain  rear large game pocket on the back of the jacket  i bought it in 2007  and still wear it bought from deben  the coat is heavy

:good:

But, I've just commented on these recently - mine shrank while in the wardrobe! :oops: I attempted to replace it and had to send it straight back. Just a word of caution.

Have used Musto waterproofs for years when sailing, very good stuff but at a cost. 

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Musto currently have a sale on quite a few coats. Ordered myself the one below.

https://www.musto.com/en_GB/brampton-br2-melton-jacket/80180.html?dwvar_80180_color=RFLG&cgid=sale-mens#sz=12&start=25

Now that looks good!

I’ll check out the other makes too. Thanks all. 

Whatever you choose, gauge it by how much you feel the cold. I have an Alan Paine tweed jacket, which is really comfortable and well made, however it only remains comfortable IF I am standing still in minus 0 degrees. For the past 3 seasons, I think I have only had to wear a waterproof about 4 times, wearing a tweed waistcoat over a sweater and tweed breeks for all of my shooting. As such,  I have gone down the road of a Barbour waterproof sweater and a very lightweight packable jacket, complete with fold away hood,  made by Snowbee of fishing tackle fame. The master plan being wear the jacket to my peg, remove jacket, shoot and then replace jacket until the next drive. This should work in all but the worst of weather conditions, I think. I always take a change of clothing if I travel any distance to a shoot, that way I am at least dry on the drive home.

20 minutes ago, wymberley said:

:good:

But, I've just commented on these recently - mine shrank while in the wardrobe! I attempted to replace it and had to send it straight back. Just a word of caution.

THAT happened to ALL of my breeks, last year  !  I have now had a damp course fitted to the wardrobe.    😂  

6 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

the percussion game keeper coat would not shrink   you are thinking of another model i think

Oops!  Thought perhaps that the smiley would indicate that I didn't think so either. It's just possible that the company may have been sold, but somewhere along the line there's been a change and suffice to say if the one that I was sent is anything to go by then it's a change for the worse and the current standard bears no resemblance to the original.

23 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

Well there is the problem then, should have got the real deal....

I guess you could wax the fancy pants fabric, might make it waterproof....?

Had a Solway zipper years ago, waxed the pants off that more than once. It was Miserable to wear when cold and wet. I hung it over the spare wheel on the truck to air one day and forgot it. Drove home and of course it was gone, Never went back to look for it.  Modern fabric from then on.

Another :good: for Musto. Have had one of their jackets for over 20 years, bought for about eighty pounds and still gking strong. Musto did replace the collar once for a very nominal charge.

Also got a lightweight Musto (foldaway) which is good for normal lighter wear. It's a bit expensive for what it is, but as it was a freebie from one of the shooting magazines I have no complaints whatsoever. Would definitely buy Musto again if the need arose. 

I also have a Deerhunter shooting jacket which is OK but find it a bit heavy.

All the above, however with the new waterproof fabrics knock spots off the old waxed jackets.

OB

On 14/08/2019 at 20:37, Yellow Bear said:

When buying any shooting clothing these days I always check out Decathalon first.

+1 I've had Barbour it didnt last long the poppers soon came off it & the zip used to snag a lot. On seeland at the moment the jackets good but the pants are rubbish had to send them back once already for them to rip again a month later had them repaired for the coming season at a local shop. Friend has lot of stuff from decathlon never seems to have any issues & when there worn out just chuck them & get new for the price they are 

I no longer have any need to acquire any out and out waterproofs - plus spending the dosh to go with them. Last year I did get something to replace the one that middle aged spread had rendered too small, but before I could try it out disaster struck and it's only in the passed couple of weeks that I've managed to get out again. Any comments, please, on the Hogg's Glenmore jacket, before it's too late and I find that I need to buy again. All I need is something rain and wind resistant. My body, never mind a coat, is no longer capable of withstanding  sustained exposure in a right old  hoodie and downpour - although I do have the latter covered if necessary.