Pony ownership

novice cushie shooter

We've just got a shetland pony on loan for our daughter ( just a trial at first as he was being abit naughty where he was last) I get informed the other day that it's his saddle/girth thats causing him to be naughty, he's going to need a different one, who knows how much that'll cost.

Then today i get told that she'll outgrow him in a few years so next year we need to go buy a yearling welsh section something or other that'll be ready for when she's big enough.... There goes my shooting budget for next year

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

We've just got a shetland pony on loan for our daughter ( just a trial at first as he was being abit naughty where he was last) I get informed the other day that it's his saddle/girth thats causing him to be naughty, he's going to need a different one, who knows how much that'll cost.

Then today i get told that she'll outgrow him in a few years so next year we need to go buy a yearling welsh section something or other that'll be ready for when she's big enough.... There goes my shooting budget for next year

DO NOT BUY A YEARLING OR A FOAL. The second most annoying thing I had to deal with was the 'we bought it as a foal so they could grow up together'. The first was 'it just needs sitting on now. Kids are better being too big on their pony rather than being over horsed. Also shetland ponies are renowned for being r soles. They're little so youd imagine they're good kids ponies but they generally are vile little creatures fit for making into pies!

9 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

DO NOT BUY A YEARLING OR A FOAL. The second most annoying thing I had to deal with was the 'we bought it as a foal so they could grow up together'. The first was 'it just needs sitting on now. Kids are better being too big on their pony rather than being over horsed. Also shetland ponies are renowned for being r soles. They're little so youd imagine they're good kids ponies but they generally are vile little creatures fit for making into pies!

Don't panic, it won't be the first foal the girlfriend has bought, she's bought and backed a few! However I don't want one so i think i'll spend the money on goats instead 😂

You forgot that all shetlands are described as having "character"

16 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

All very true. They need to have plenty of experience, ability and a bit of maturity before you entertain the idea of training a foal. 'just needs sitting on' is the equivalent of saying dinner's ready because you've bought the ingredients. Training a horse from a foal or yearling is a complicated, difficult process and well beyond most children - and a lot of adults too.

Shetland ponies. Hateful things. If it just came down to character, I'd rather give a child a Clydesdale than a Shetland!

Edit: Big Mat, you beat me to it. Good, good. Foal/yearling training is rewarding if you know what you're doing, but too many horses have been ruined by people who don't!

Edited by chrisjpainter

Shetland ponies are the devils of the horse world, one of the farms i shoot on breed them and there are a dozen or so in the fields, they think they are shire horses and run at you, and a couple of the stallions are ninjas who have managed to creep up behind me and nip my back while i am looking the other way. they are nasty little bullies.

Little horses ,massive egos.

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

Shetland ponies are the devils of the horse world, one of the farms i shoot on breed them and there are a dozen or so in the fields, they think they are shire horses and run at you, and a couple of the stallions are ninjas who have managed to creep up behind me and nip my back while i am looking the other way. they are nasty little bullies.

Little horses ,massive egos.

😂 

Shoot I go on have horses in one field the guns line out in. The few big horses are curious when you first enter untill the guns go off to the pegs then they wander to the far end out the way. The Shetland just gets angry as soon as you step in his field. Shoot captain had to have him removed in the past on shoot days as he is just plain nasty. I'm not a fan of horses but have a particular hate for little ones.