ATA Sporter Laminate.

Taileron

Popped out yesterday afternoon and had a play with a new ATA 12g Black Laminate sporter 30”. I have to say for £625 I was super impressed. It balances a bit better than the standard due to the marginal extra weight of the laminate stock. The fit and finish was on par with my 525 and the Matt black barrels looked very well suited to the laminate. It swings easily and shoulders nicely, but I didn’t buy it and I’m not sure why. Now I’m starting to think that I’m actually a internally suppressed brand snob, and I really don’t like brand snobs, so my internal voice is telling me to buy it to ensure I’m not a brand snob.

Never thought decisions were this difficult.

The oy reason to buy one is the walnut they come with.  A cheap plywood version should be about 300 quid.

I wouldn't buy one, friend has had trigger problems with his and is hoping they swap it for another gun now. It's not shot much either. Already had the full trigger assembly changed once and before that it was back to get trigger fixed. Now it's back in again for same trigger problem.  The gun shop reveiw of them is worth a watch.

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

The oy reason to buy one is the walnut they come with.  A cheap plywood version should be about 300 quid.

I wouldn't buy one, friend has had trigger problems with his and is hoping they swap it for another gun now. It's not shot much either. Already had the full trigger assembly changed once and before that it was back to get trigger fixed. Now it's back in again for same trigger problem.  The gun shop reveiw of them is worth a watch.

Mines had about 3000 carts through it so far , and has never been a problem.
The older ones had trigger problems, a complete replacement of the whole trigger group with the upgraded version cures it.
But the the newer ones do not have the issue.

For the money, you cant really go wrong.

5 minutes ago, figgy said:

This chaps isn't the older one, it's a black action sporter. Only had it a year and won't have shot a thousand carts.

Black action sporter was one of the first models bought into the UK , friend of mine has one, gave £1000 for it 7 years ago, his trigger went, and was replaced, never been a problem since.

Your friends could easily have been old stock.
Tell him to insist it has its whole trigger assembly replaced or money back under warranty for repeated failed attempts at fixing it if hes not happy.
The only problem with that course of action is Sportsman Gun Centre are the importers..

Just now, figgy said:

It's had the whole trigger assembly replaced once.

I was sure his was one of the new ones with Matt black and some bright colour painted lines on it.

Still got 2 years worth of warranty left at a year old.
Like I say, every one Ive heard of that has the trigger group replaced , has been fine after that.
They either arent doing that, or are replacing with the old type trigger, give them one last chance or refund under not fit for purpose.

39 minutes ago, figgy said:

He was looking for a replacement this time.

I'd be looking at good used Beretta Silver Pigeons.

He needs to check up on his stat rights if hes going down that route, depends on the place where he bought it and how many attempts theyve had to put it right.

27 minutes ago, alan123shooting said:

And I suppose Beretta  never go wrong 

Quite.

1 hour ago, alan123shooting said:

Not as often as I've heard of the ATA range based on the same action.  When a gunsmith says they may look like a Beretta but they are definitely not like a Beretta says it all to me.

I'm not against cheap guns I've have a cheap Spanish sxs have had Yildiz among others, they are what they are. I'm a fan of the Armsan A612 for the money a disposable gun every three years. When prices for budget guns are sat same price as used Browning or Berettas I know where I'd put my money.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Mines had about 3000 carts through it so far , and has never been a problem.
The older ones had trigger problems, a complete replacement of the whole trigger group with the upgraded version cures it.
But the the newer ones do not have the issue.

For the money, you cant really go wrong.

I’m with you there, for the cash I thought it represented excellent value for money. The dealer was very open and upfront about the initial batch having trigger issues, as were SGC when I called them. SGC said they were literally flying out the door and they have already placed another large order this year as the demand was unexpectedly high.

I think I’m going to take the plunge and pick it up tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Taileron said:

I’m with you there, for the cash I thought it represented excellent value for money. The dealer was very open and upfront about the initial batch having trigger issues, as were SGC when I called them. SGC said they were literally flying out the door and they have already placed another large order this year as the demand was unexpectedly high.

I think I’m going to take the plunge and pick it up tomorrow.

I dont think youll be disappointed .

I had a Miroku MK70 it was probably the most unreliable gun I have owned and people say Miroku are bombproof! I have looked at these ATA’s and was very close to buying one of the new SuperSports as a knockabout would have done so if my mate didn’t offer me his mint 682X trap for about the same money.

Didn’t buy the ATA after a great deal of deliberation and a good test shoot. It’s a good gun and I feel has no real competition in the brand new sector for £600. It fitted nice and shot well 23/25 but had a horrible twang when closed. The demo gun I used had seen about 4K carts and was just bedding in nicely, shame really as I had the cash on the hip, just couldn’t part with it ( the cash )

Don’t forget the cakes on Monday Dave👍

Edited by Taileron

On 15/08/2019 at 13:01, alan123shooting said:

Of course they do. However they do not go back by the artic load.all makes will have fails but when as the company you cited are making close to half a million units a year you would expect it. I wonder what the production figures are for ata as I would guess the fail rate is a lot higher with much fewer produced. Take a few years and try and think of an engineered product that has never had a fail. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2019 at 15:20, Rewulf said:

I dont think youll be disappointed .

You were right I’m not. After deciding not to buy it I latterly changed my mind and bought it. Whacked 150 carts through it and I can’t fault it so far. Ordered another for the Mrs ( junior stock version ) which will be here this week. I’m going to use it exclusively throughout the winter and keep the maxus in the cabinet unless my neck starts playing up again. I tend to go out 3/4 times a month and do between 150/200 each time, come spring it should have about 4K through it. Hopefully it will hold up a bit better than my 525 that spent more time with the RFD than in my possession over a 6 month period.