Divided Britain

islandgun

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The absolute meaning of the word.

Especially when the result is one you disagree with ?

Elections and referendums every month , week ?

Usually by majority.

Oh yes ! Not the many , the few .

Is it the same 'few' or a different few ?
What happened to the majority ?

Where is the middle ?

Leave but dont really leave, or remain but just ..remain..

There is no middle, the 'few' wouldnt even accept the BRINO.
They didnt want compromise, they wanted what they wanted , and stuff the 'will of the people '

To paraphrase.... People dont want compromise they want what they want and stuff everyone else. dont like it ? get it banned, stopped, reversed, 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, islandgun said:

To paraphrase.... People dont want compromise they want what they want and stuff everyone else. dont like it ? get it banned, stopped, reversed, 

Exactly.

And justify it all by claiming it to be 'morally' right, the 'correct' thing to do, despite the majorities clear indication of their will.

This doesnt necessarily just apply to Brexit BTW , its apparent that many things in todays society are divisive, because certain aspects are literally rammed down our throats.
Surely if 1 % of the population want something thats detrimental to the other 99%, why does it seem that the 1%  often get their way ?

Its far easier to control a divided people , than one that is united.

Edited by Rewulf

3 hours ago, henry d said:

As for brexit, if the reverse happened would the brexiteers have said "fair enough" and sat content that democracy wins

You know what H, I think they would.  I think no one was  more surprised than I when:

a)  Cameron called the Referendum

b) We damn well won

No one expected we would ever be able to get out of the EU, same as with the Spanish Inquisition.

I think there was as much surprise amongst "Out" voters as there was horror amongst the Remainers, it was a truly historic moment we (the Leavers) had no real expectation of happening, ever, let along succeeding.

What is truly surprising is the vehement disgust of Remainers toward Leavers.  It is they who cannot accept a democratic result and look to get it annulled/reversed/overturned whatever. it is they who are causing division and heartache up and down the country.

In 1997, when Tony Blair came to power and really kicked off the UK's destruction and division, those who did not vote for him did not take to the streets and protest the election, it was a free vote, he won, end.

It would be nice if Remainers just got on with their lives in the new "we are leaving the EU" world.

RS

50 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Exactly.

And justify it all by claiming it to be 'morally' right, the 'correct' thing to do, despite the majorities clear indication of their will.

This doesnt necessarily just apply to Brexit BTW , its apparent that many things in todays society are divisive, because certain aspects are literally rammed down our throats.
Surely if 1 % of the population want something thats detrimental to the other 99%, why does it seem that the 1%  often get their way ?

Its far easier to control a divided people , than one that is united.

left wing pressure groups..........imbedded and conections with westminster

18 hours ago, RockySpears said:

You know what H, I think they would...

I think you are fooling yourself, the same way as in other posts people who want out at all costs would have carried on with Nige at the helm and continued to whip up discontent, surprisingly that is what is happening on both sides as we speak!

9 hours ago, henry d said:

I think you are fooling yourself

No, I really don't.

Up until that singular vote, no individual or group had ever objected so strongly to a democratic decision in the UK.  We NEVER, any of us would have thought to do such a thing.  Since 2016 though it has become clear that there has always been a section of the UK enamoured with not just the idea of a United Europe, but a group who actually sought it.  This is the group that is now trying so hard to undermine the British people.  These people have NOT seen their wages stagnate for the last 12 years, they are not in a daily battle with just living.

I now thank the gods that they have revealed themselves in all their hatred of Britain and all it has been, is,  and will be again.

You will no doubt want me to qualify "They", and that is an easy task, it is all those politicians wanting Remain, it is all those I know, in some cases for the last 30 years since University, who want Remain, it is the EU Commission.

They have outed themselves now and I would not be surprised if, at the next General Election, everyone of the Remainer politicians, with London's Labour lot excluded, because London is a lost cause that we no longer visit (despite loving the Tate and Theater) lost their seat, those that dare stand again any way,

Brexit is actually going to do this country a lot of good, recession, difficult trading etc etc thrown in,

RS

Edited by RockySpears
Grammar

52 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

No, I really don't.

Up until that singular vote, no individual or group had ever objected so strongly to a democratic decision in the UK.  We NEVER, any of us would have thought to do such a thing.  Since 2016 though it has become clear that there has always been a section of the UK enamoured with not just the idea of a United Europe, but a group who actually sought it.  This is the group that is now trying so hard to undermine the British people.  These people have NOT seen their wages stagnate for the last 12 years, they are not in a daily battle with just living.

I now thank the gods that they have revealed themselves in all their hatred of Britain and all it has been, is,  and will be again.

You will no doubt want me to qualify "They", and that is an easy task, it is all those politicians wanting Remain, it is all those I know, in some cases for the last 30 years since University, who want Remain, it is the EU Commission.

They have outed themselves now and I would not be surprised if, at the next General Election, everyone of the Remainer politicians, with London's Labour lot excluded, because London is a lost cause that we no longer visit (despite loving the Tate and Theater) lost their seat, those that dare stand again any way,

Brexit is actually going to do this country a lot of good, recession, difficult trading etc etc thrown in,

RS

Well said RS

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

No, I really don't.

Up until that singular vote, no individual or group had ever objected so strongly to a democratic decision in the UK.  

Except for Yes Scotland, the SNP, and all the other independence groups. Once you divide a country into yes/no, in/out or any other important polarising questions there will be those who will not stop to get what they want.

47 minutes ago, henry d said:

Except for Yes Scotland, the SNP, and all the other independence groups. Once you divide a country into yes/no, in/out or any other important polarising questions there will be those who will not stop to get what they want.

The difference with this though is that they voted to stay, so they are. The democratic decision was honoured despite some not being happy with it, and those who aren’t can now get on with campaigning to overturn that decision. That is how it works and entirely up to them.

With Brexit the decision to leave hasn’t been honoured, and there are those who are campaigning to ensure it isn’t. That isn’t how democracy is supposed to work. If after we leave there is a campaign to rejoin, then fair enough, but first the result of the democratically arrived at vote to leave, has to be implemented. What is it that makes that so difficult for some to understand? 

Edited by Scully

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

The difference with this though is that they voted to stay, so they are. The democratic decision was honoured despite some not being happy with it, and those who aren’t can now get on with campaigning to overturn that decision. That is how it works and entirely up to them.

With Brexit the decision to leave hasn’t been honoured, and there are those who are campaigning to ensure it isn’t. That isn’t how democracy is supposed to work. If after we leave there is a campaign to rejoin, then fair enough, but first the result of the democratically arrived at vote to leave, has to be implemented. What is it that makes that so difficult for some to understand? 

Very good point :good: and clearly the only democratic option, cheers

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, Scully said:

The difference is, and what I was getting at is, no matter what the outcome of a polar extreme question in politics there will be some people who want their own way, so with a leave vote there are those who want to stay and the reverse is also true. If Scotland had voted to leave then the same cluster fluff would have happened as we see now with brexit, backstops, no deals and huge problems with what lies under the North sea, and I don't mean fish.

8 hours ago, henry d said:

The difference is, and what I was getting at is, no matter what the outcome of a polar extreme question in politics there will be some people who want their own way, so with a leave vote there are those who want to stay and the reverse is also true. If Scotland had voted to leave then the same cluster fluff would have happened as we see now with brexit, backstops, no deals and huge problems with what lies under the North sea, and I don't mean fish.

Yet despite all that you claim would happen, the Scottish government is all for it! Weird eh? 

Some want to stay, others leave, some vote Labour, others Conservative. People vote whichever way they choose, and that’s why we are given a vote. I’m not really sure what point it is that you’re trying to make.