FAC ticket holders

Arron yeates

Depending on where you are your FEO may often treat them as all the same ie fac air rifle whatever caliber whatever energy. I think you want to have something firing sub sonics accurately. The energy level is less important. I was looking at a 100 ft lb FX the other week which was impressive but in many ways its too much or not enough. I have a sub 12 that is used as much as my fac. 

I asked for a .177 .22 and .25 at application .

The feo asked if i also wanted .30 cal too (not a sarky comment ) .

I declined (didnt and still dont see the point in a 100 fpe airgun .) 

Have to say though the new mk 2 impacts in .25 with a slug liner shooting 34 grainers would be awesome .but again your hard  into rimfire territory and you'd be better just spending £500 on a nice .22lr. Than the 2k + on the airgun .

The point  (in my opinion) of an airgun is to have a much lower fallout  risk /backstop problem .As soon as you start launching 40 grn lead bullets about you have to really consider where they will end up.

Again for me the 24 grn .25 jsb king is as heavy as i want to go and its relatively light weight and low ish bc .makes it stop faster and reduces the fallout risk .

Edited by Ultrastu

12 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I asked for a .177 .22 and .25 at application .

The feo asked if i also wanted .30 cal too (not a sarky comment ) .

I declined (didnt and still dont see the point in a 100 fpe airgun .) 

Have to say though the new mk 2 impacts in .25 with a slug liner shooting 34 grainers would be awesome .but again your hard  into rimfire territory and you'd be better just spending £500 on a nice .22lr. Than the 2k + on the airgun .

The point  (in my opinion) of an airgun is to have a much lower fallout  risk /backstop problem .As soon as you start launching 40 grn lead bullets about you have to really consider where they will end up.

Again for me the 24 grn .25 jsb king is as heavy as i want to go and its relatively light weight and low ish bc .makes it stop faster and reduces the fallout risk .

300yd killing machine:whistling:

16 hours ago, Arron yeates said:

As per title, curious to what calibre airgun and power you can have for your first. Id like to get a 60 /70 ft lbs fx impact mk2. Possibly .22 or .25 cal

As any other firearm on your FAC it depends what you have a need for it for. Personally I wanted something in between sub 12 and rf so am perfectly happy with the 24ft/lbs in .22 that I have. Anything beyond that I would use rf. 

Anything over 150 yards, I think should be powder burner territory. We owe it to our qaurry to use the best tool for the job.

Great if in a country like America where air guns are unrestricted, the 300 yard big bore guns become a nessecity if you are not allowed a firearm.

Edited by figgy

I watched the vid also. 

Though 300 yds is a REALLY long way .

Just a couple of stats. 

My .25 fx (jsb kings )not slugs 

Zeroed at 50 yds. Drops 13 inches at 100 yds 

And 1.2 m at 150 yds . (Thats a big drop ) 

At 300 yds my  pellet would drop 11 meters .

I doubt my scope would have enough clicks for that .

7 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Its being done Stu with fx impact mk2 at 90ftlbs

Is it ? really ?
What sort of groups ?
To kill something at 300 yards with a 90 ft lb ME , shot placement need to be within 1 MOA territory.
A .22lr bullet at 100 + ft lb cant do it.
An HMR bullet at 250 ft lbs might JUST do it , with all calculations taken into consideration, but only because its a 'match grade ' bullet.
Hell, a .223 can struggle for 300 yard  MOA  groups at 1000 ft lb , if the operator doesnt know what theyre doing.

An airgun pellet or slug , with a far inferior BC ? No chance.

On 16/08/2019 at 19:16, figgy said:

Anything over 150 yards, I think should be powder burner territory. We owe it to our qaurry to use the best tool for the job.

Great if in a country like America where air guns are unrestricted, the 300 yard big bore guns become a nessecity if you are not allowed a firearm.

Rather than distance being the guide to suitability, accurracy should be the limit to range as whilst pre pcp, 50 yards was pushing it for a springer with pellets, theoretically, there is nothing a pcp with slugs (bullets) can't do that a powder burner can given a sufficent charge of air and a suitable lead bullet design which is constantly being developed.

21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Is it ? really ?
What sort of groups ?
To kill something at 300 yards with a 90 ft lb ME , shot placement need to be within 1 MOA territory.
A .22lr bullet at 100 + ft lb cant do it.
An HMR bullet at 250 ft lbs might JUST do it , with all calculations taken into consideration, but only because its a 'match grade ' bullet.
Hell, a .223 can struggle for 300 yard  MOA  groups at 1000 ft lb , if the operator doesnt know what theyre doing.

An airgun pellet or slug , with a far inferior BC ? No chance.

Yeah matt dubber from south africa is using his fx impact hes had clean shots at 300 + now incredble shooting using slug liners. Air hunters t.v also doing similar shots. These have come along way now

23 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Yeah matt dubber from south africa is using his fx impact hes had clean shots at 300 + now incredble shooting using slug liners. Air hunters t.v also doing similar shots. These have come along way now

Clean shots? 

I watched a few of his vids, they weren't too bothered about all the birds they winged 'they'll die later man' as they experimented with their ballistic calculators putting holes in farm buildings! 

Besides the fact there seems to be a good number of sponsorship deals going on, it was clear they, and their equipment were not adequate at the stretched ranges they were shooting at, accuracy or power wise. 

It's a plinking session with live targets, not impressive. 

16 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Clean shots? 

I watched a few of his vids, they weren't too bothered about all the birds they winged 'they'll die later man' as they experimented with their ballistic calculators putting holes in farm buildings! 

Besides the fact there seems to be a good number of sponsorship deals going on, it was clear they, and their equipment were not adequate at the stretched ranges they were shooting at, accuracy or power wise. 

It's a plinking session with live targets, not impressive. 

Totally agree what you mean regards to the plinking session on live targets i only go for head shots or no shots and concider background etc and buildings getting hit by a hollow point slug at 900+fps to the neg head or heart did seen to expire them fast however i do know what you mean abouts winging them.

My biggest issue with those vids matt and his mates are making , is that they are firing 33 grn slugs over the top of barns where they cant see whats beyond .

Now that slug carries a fair clout and id hate to be on the receiving end of one 250 yds down range as it comes to earth .

I got peppered(not actualy hit , just around me )  with no6 shot on saturday from another shooter who was 240 yds away .this was no issue as we all know it carries very little energy .wouldnt be enough to damage your eye with a direct hit.but big lead slugs is another thing altogether.  This is why ive stated 100 fpe airguns dont make a lot of sense to me .

There is the temptation to shoot in the air (as matt has been doing ) and the risks are too high.imo.stick to pellets (not slugs ) and lighter ones at that. If you want to go airborne. 

Edited by Ultrastu