Knife Sharpening

walshie

I've got a few methods of sharpening. A grinder, a Sharpenset, a couple of Japanese stones and a Lansky. Most of my knives are razor sharp, as are 'er indoors' kitchen knives. Most of those are Sabatier and take an edge pretty well and easily.

There is one knife that will not sharpen though. It's a fairly unused (because it's so blunt) kitchen knife. It's about the size of a carver, made by Le Crueset. I know they aren't particularly expensive, but are they made of some awful steel that won't sharpen or am I missing something?

I spent ages with the Lansky on it last night going through all 5 stones and a strop. It felt sharp(ish) to the touch but struggled cutting a cucumber. I noticed the blade is thicker than the other knives, but surely an edge is an edge?

Edited by walshie

sounds like a really soft steel.......i have a couple of everyday cooking knives like that that i wouldnt waste my time on sharpening like that...........

i bought a "draw thro'" sharpener ...the type that have 2 tungstan wheels on it...and as you draw it thro it leaves minute shavings behind....and leaves a ragged wicked edge on the blade which is just right for cutting tomatoes and everything else....trouble is it will only hold an edge for a couple of days

its an old "Prestige" knife from the 1960's but it is just right for slicing..........

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

sounds like a really soft steel.......i have a couple of everyday cooking knives like that that i wouldnt waste my time on sharpening like that...........

i bought a "draw thro'" sharpener ...the type that have 2 tungstan wheels on it...and as you draw it thro it leaves minute shavings behind....and leaves a ragged wicked edge on the blade which is just right for cutting tomatoes and everything else....trouble is it will only hold an edge for a couple of days

its an old "Prestige" knife from the 1960's but it is just right for slicing..........

What he said - If it's not cutting try to force a new edge onto it and then tidy it up. If that doesn't work, sling it.

Edit to say I Googled Le Creuset knives and the reviews are not terribly kind - If you've still got the packaging, re-gift it at Christmas!

Edited by Fatcatsplat

Sounds like temper is poor and knife is therefore too soft as I suspect steel should be up to task if Le Creuset.

Could try a retemper, take knife apart, heat steel to dull red for 2 min, plunge into oil, then freeze for 30min,  raise temp to 165 in oven for 35 min and then air cool, repeat last 2 step.

See if it worked by sharpening.

This may destroy or warp knife, so be warned.

• 2 weeks later...