• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What question ? Try quoting it, youre wriggling like a proper kipper now :lol:

Jeez man, you even quoted my question on this yourself, look up a bit

Thats not even what I said ! and I see youve conveniently left the bit off the end for the context.

You said there won't be any war with Iran, that's even worse, lol and then you say you said WE - for your own sake stop watching the trump interviews, it's affecting you, adversely 

I said WE  wont be going to war with Iran, if the Americans do (which is unlikely IMHO) , they will usually ask for UK support, and we might chuck a few tomahawks at them that are reaching their shelf life.
So if you want to call that a contradiction (my 2nd one apparently, (but you cant point the first out) fill your boots 😐

The previous one is a couple pages back, i'll beef hooked if i'm finding it for you 🙂 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Jeez man, you even quoted my question on this yourself, look up a bit

Jeez man, Why. Dont. You. Just. Quote. It. 😂

You said there won't be any war with Iran, that's even worse, lol and then you say you said WE - for your own sake stop watching the trump interviews, it's affecting you, adversely 

No idea what youre on about, Is it the heat making you even more confused, or have you had a 'liquid lunch' 🙄

The previous one is a couple pages back, i'll beef hooked if i'm finding it for you 🙂 

Oh yeah THAT one 😆....no, still no idea, see above instructions .

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Perhaps what is most interesting about this seizure is that it was carried out pursuant to the ‘Sanctions Regulations 2019’ enacted by Gibraltar on 3 July, just one day before the seizure.  Those Regulations give the Chief Minister of Gibraltar powers to designate a vessel as a “Specified Ship” if he “has reasonable grounds to suspect that the ship … has been, or is likely to be, involved in a breach of the EU Regulation”.  The EU Regulation in question is Regulation (EU) No. 36/2012 and a “Specified Ship Notice” was issued in Gibraltar on 3 July 2019 naming the Grace 1. 

From the Tatham article linked to above.

In the early hours of this morning, Gibraltar Port and Law Enforcement agencies, assisted by a detachment of Royal Marines, boarded a super tanker carrying crude oil to Syria.

We have detained the vessel and its cargo.

This action arose from information giving the Gibraltar Government reasonable grounds to believe that the vessel, the Grace 1, was acting in breach of European Union sanctions against Syria.

In fact, we have reason to believe that the Grace 1 was carrying its shipment of crude oil to the Banyas Refinery in Syria.

That refinery is the property of an entity that is subject to European Union sanctions against Syria.

Yesterday (4 July) we published Regulations and a Notice to enforce those sanctions against this vessel and its cargo.

I also gave a Direction requiring the Captain of the Port, assisted by the Royal Gibraltar Police and Her Majesty’s Customs to take control of the Grace 1.

With my consent, our Port and Law Enforcement agencies sought the assistance of the Royal Marines in carrying out this operation.

As the sanctions being enforced are established by the EU, I have written this morning to the Presidents of the European Commission and Council, setting out the details of the sanctions which we have enforced.

I want to thank the brave men and women of the Royal Marines, the Royal Gibraltar Police, Her Majesty’s Customs Gibraltar and the Gibraltar Port Authority, for their work in securing the detention of this vessel and its cargo.

Be assured that Gibraltar remains safe, secure and committed to the international, rules-based, legal order.

Statement from the Chief Minister of Gibraltar,  Fabian R Picardo.

Doing the EUs dirty work again where we.  Trump offered and was spurned but I don't see many German, French, Spanish(no their all nicking our fish), Itaiians etc., helping out.

Our military commanders will only do what they are told by the Prime Minister.  The blame for this fiasco lies purely with Mrs. May.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Fair enough ,I stand corrected.
So when the UN tried to sanction Syria, the Chinese and Russia vetoed them.
And the the US, EU and other NATO members just went and sanctioned them anyway ?

Makes you wonder why we even argue over such things as 'what the UN does' 

It appears they are a complete waste of time.

phhhhwrrr you don't believe that do you? I know its hot.....

12 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

And this is precisely what we are dealing with here, they haven’t got a scooby.

So, assuming the 90 is the midpoint of three point estimate, I wonder what the bookends would be.

They might not have a scooby, but neither have you!And I tend to  place more trust in their forecasts, than yours.

12 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

The subject of Iran, various sanctions and the liberties certain states are taking in the high seas are topics probably worthy of a separate thread but our inability to protect our own vessels in such a critical region shows just how under prepared for a post Brexit world the UK is.

The costs of regaining a level of credibility / deterrent should be factored into the overall bill for Brexit and Boris should explain how the books balance against this and all the other promises of lower taxes and higher public spending.

Easy! Scrap HS2, and the Foreign Aid budget!

4 hours ago, poontang said:

In the early hours of this morning, Gibraltar Port and Law Enforcement agencies, assisted by a detachment of Royal Marines, boarded a super tanker carrying crude oil to Syria.

We have detained the vessel and its cargo.

This action arose from information giving the Gibraltar Government reasonable grounds to believe that the vessel, the Grace 1, was acting in breach of European Union sanctions against Syria.

In fact, we have reason to believe that the Grace 1 was carrying its shipment of crude oil to the Banyas Refinery in Syria.

That refinery is the property of an entity that is subject to European Union sanctions against Syria.

Yesterday (4 July) we published Regulations and a Notice to enforce those sanctions against this vessel and its cargo.

I also gave a Direction requiring the Captain of the Port, assisted by the Royal Gibraltar Police and Her Majesty’s Customs to take control of the Grace 1.

With my consent, our Port and Law Enforcement agencies sought the assistance of the Royal Marines in carrying out this operation.

As the sanctions being enforced are established by the EU, I have written this morning to the Presidents of the European Commission and Council, setting out the details of the sanctions which we have enforced.

I want to thank the brave men and women of the Royal Marines, the Royal Gibraltar Police, Her Majesty’s Customs Gibraltar and the Gibraltar Port Authority, for their work in securing the detention of this vessel and its cargo.

Be assured that Gibraltar remains safe, secure and committed to the international, rules-based, legal order.

Statement from the Chief Minister of Gibraltar,  Fabian R Picardo.

Interesting. So my suspicion that the EU wasn't informed in advance about the plan to seize the Grace is confirmed. But I can't see how this report negates anything Tatham Law said. The Gibraltar government 'published regulations' the day before marines boarded the ship. It seems pretty obvious that the plan to hold the ship had already been made and the law (regulations) was part of that plan. Wag the dog stuff.

10 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Interesting. So my suspicion that the EU wasn't informed in advance about the plan to seize the Grace is confirmed. But I can't see how this report negates anything Tatham Law said. The Gibraltar government 'published regulations' the day before marines boarded the ship. It seems pretty obvious that the plan to hold the ship had already been made and the law (regulations) was part of that plan. Wag the dog stuff.

The regulations and notice to board could only be published and acted upon once the ship had entered Gibraltar waters. Nothing confirms whether the EU were notified in advance, however he had no reason to do so. A copper doesn't ring his boss every time he wants to make a lawful arrest. 

1 hour ago, henry d said:

So we distance ourselves from the EU and a lot of the developing world, even though countries like China are investing heavily in them?

We are leaving the so called 'trading bloc ' of the EU because the people of the UK voted to do so.
We are not 'distancing ourselves' from Europe or the 'developing world' , we send money to countries that often have growing economies, they simply dont need the money

https://news.sky.com/story/fury-over-uks-unjustifiable-98m-foreign-aid-injection-for-india-11489332

China invests in poorer countries, not because it feels sorry for them, it wants a return, probably a big one.
It is also receiving land and mineral / oil rights for the privilege .

26 minutes ago, henry d said:

Good luck with that given the news a few minutes ago

I dont actually like Boris, but I can think of plenty of worse people to run the country.

Probably the sort of people you would think would be excellent ?
But he won, by a country mile, so strap yourself in...

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

I dont actually like Boris, but I can think of plenty of worse people to run the country.

Probably the sort of people you would think would be excellent ?
But he won, by a country mile, so strap yourself in...

They are all dead. 

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

They might look like it 😆

Abbot and Corbyn , McDonnell as chancellor, is that you dream team ?

Please , give me bumbling Boris any day :whistling:

Why not Corbyn everything will be free it will be the land of milk and honey, let Abbot do the calculations and all will be good for ever.