Brexit - merged threads

scouser

1 minute ago, sportsbob said:

Would the legal stance that no deal is the default need to be changed before that could happen ? and if that is so then surly that is undemocratic and there would be all sorts to answer to.

Yes , yes and yes.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sportsbob said:

Would the legal stance that no deal is the default need to be changed before that could happen ? and if that is so then surly that is undemocratic and there would be all sorts to answer to.

According to Ian Duncan Smith ( a good interview actually ) it would take a change in the law to prevent us leaving with no deal at the end of October. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Prorogues Parliament? 

The conservative membership (not even voters) get to choose a completely new PM and government that then takes the country's elected representatives out of the decision loop? To decide possibly the biggest issue since the 2nd world war. And you have the nerve to complain about the EU being undemocratic? What a laugh!

35 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

What are you talking about?

1) It was the UK that decided to leave the EU, not the other way around.

2) It was the UK that said that it wanted to exit the Single Market, nobody forced us out.

This whining about how the UK is not responsible for its own actions is pathetic. What is it that you want the EU do do? Grant  the UK unlimited access to the Single Market without being subject to the regulatory system that underpins it?  How is that supposed to work? It can't be done, even with the best will in the world.

The UK is not a victim. The country made a decision and it was the wrong one.  Man up and live with the consequences.

Only a wrong decision in the eyes of the losers!  All democrats (until they lose)!

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The conservative membership (not even voters) get to choose a completely new PM and government that then takes the country's elected representatives out of the decision loop? To decide possibly the biggest issue since the 2nd world war. And you have the nerve to complain about the EU being undemocratic? What a laugh!

Err do you remember that big vote in 2016 where we voted to leave ?

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's better than Tony Blair handing the baton to Gordon Brown.

5 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I bet Retsdon has an answer that is different to that 😁.

Not at all. The UK is all set to leave on Halloween. As I no longer have  a financial stake in any of it (other than my soon to be worthless state pension)  I'm getting the popcorn out ready.

I do not expect it to be as simple for Boris as:-

• Engage with EU
  • Get a deal
  • Leave

or

• Engage with EU
  • get nothing
  • Leave

Boris has assembled a like minded cabinet (top work!), but will struggle with no majority in Parliament … he'll need to address this balance to be successful, as I believe more people currently in Parliament want to stay than leave with no deal.

He may get to choose an election, or he may get the choice thrust upon him … but I believe it's coming …. we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Err do you remember that big vote in 2016 where we voted to leave ?

Despite the revisionist misinformation, nobody actually voted to crash out without a deal. It's like there's a vote to sell the house and we all vote yes, expecting that the house will fetch $500,000. Then when push comes to shove it turns out that the best we can get for it is $50,000. No, but we VOTED TO SELL THE HOUSE SO WE ARE ARE DUTY BOUND TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THAT DECISION!! 

How absurd is that?>

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Despite the revisionist misinformation, nobody actually voted to crash out without a deal. It's like there's a vote to sell the house and we all vote yes, expecting that the house will fetch $500,000. Then when push comes to shove it turns out that the best we can get for it is $50,000. No, but we VOTED TO SELL THE HOUSE SO WE ARE ARE DUTY BOUND TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THAT DECISION!! 

How absurd is that?>

Oddly enough I and everyone I have spoken to did vote to leave without a deal because it was made quite clear by David Cameron we would leave the customs union etc etc and there was no caveat applied or inferred and that you know quite well. With your analogy of the house sale then yes you sell it for whatever you can because as an honourable  gentleman and one your word your are duty and legally bound to sell it.

15 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

How absurd is that?>

But I ( as it turns out ) DID vote to leave without a deal, due to the fact a ‘deal’ hadn’t even been mooted at the time of the referendum, again due to the fact we were supposed to vote to remain. I just voted to leave, no ifs, no buts, and hopefully no deals, just leave. 

Despite the revisionist misinformation, nobody actually voted to crash out without a deal. 

The most inaccurate statement of the year. How can anyone make such a ridiculous claim? No facts, no surveys - just make it up as you go along.

If someone voted to leave without a deal they are in for an unpleasant surprise. If it happened on the set date we will then proceed to negotiate from a position of further weakness for a deal. One way or another we will have a deal of sorts. 

I cannot understand why in a month of Sundays anyone would think a no deal option is something to vote for. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

he most inaccurate statement of the year. How can anyone make such a ridiculous claim? No facts, no surveys - just make it up as you go along.

Did Vote Leave say that the UK was going to quit the EU and Single Market without a contingency arrangement in place? Yes, or no? Because I can point you towards verbatim statements from Leave campaigners that such a scenario was a million to one chance, etc, etc. Anyway, none if it matters. It'll be what it'll be. What that might be...for what it's worth the Economist this week published  a range of Brexit economic forecasts that are for the most part pretty horrific  As I repeatedly  say, I don't have a financial dog in the fight but if did, I'd be worried to hell. The top two forecasts are full on Greek Crisis stuff with interest.

But doubtless Boris knows what he's doing.
Tge20190727_BRC465.png