Brexit - merged threads

scouser

13 minutes ago, oowee said:

If someone voted to leave without a deal they are in for an unpleasant surprise. If it happened on the set date we will then proceed to negotiate from a position of further weakness for a deal. One way or another we will have a deal of sorts. 

I cannot understand why in a month of Sundays anyone would think a no deal option is something to vote for. 

Like I said, I didn't vote for 'no deal.' But that was only because that wasn't an option in the referendum choices; it was leave or remain. It's totally irrelevant now, but if we were now given the choice of leave with a deal or leave without, I would vote for the latter.

I'd be more than happy to negotiate trade deals once we're out, but any deal which keeps us tied to the EU in any way is a bad thing in my opinion. I regard the EU as an insidious and all encompassing parasite which eventually kills its host. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Did Vote Leave say that the UK was going to quit the EU and Single Market without a contingency arrangement in place? Yes, or no? Because I can point you towards verbatim statements from Leave campaigners that such a scenario was a million to one chance, etc, etc. Anyway, none if it matters. It'll be what it'll be. What that might be...for what it's worth the Economist this week published  a range of Brexit economic forecasts that are for the most part pretty horrific  As I repeatedly  say, I don't have a financial dog in the fight but if did, I'd be worried to hell. The top two forecasts are full on Greek Crisis stuff with interest.

But doubtless Boris knows what he's doing.
Tge20190727_BRC465.png

Best stop in then just in case thats true eh ?

Of course remaining will have no negative impact on GDP , services or social cohesion ??
Hang on a minute, didnt the economist state that we would be straight into a recession on the back of a leave vote back in 2016 ?

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Hang on a minute, didnt the economist state that we would be straight into a recession on the back of a leave vote back in 2016 ?

The predictions aren't the Economist's. The Economist is just publishing them. Look at the bottom. There's one of your lot's! :)

1 hour ago, muncher said:

I believe that the EU will see Boris means business and will yield to a better deal.

Why respond to empty threats? To get the last word in debates and defending a view in absurdum is not the same as being a good negotiator.

Boris will bluster and put on a good show but the only thing be cares about is to remain PM. I think he will happily break up the UK and have the economy go down in flames to acchieve his personal ambitions. 

/M

Retsdon - You said no-one voted for no deal, but posters on here are queuing up to say that is inaccurate. I voted to leave - no deal or otherwise., so how can you make such a silly claim?

Edited by Gordon R

400-MILLION-INVESTMENT-copy.png?resize=540%2C317&ssl=1

Project Fear is coming off the rails again by the news that County Durham is heading for a fresh £400 million investment in Hitachi Rail’s Newton Aycliffe plant. Abellio has confirmed that the 7000-strong factory will build its new fleet of East Midland trains, keeping North East on track as a top destination for investment. Not that tunnel-visioned Remainers are interesting in giving stories like this a platform…

It’s the third piece of Brexit good news to come from County Durham in the last couple of weeks following Darren Grimes’s Electoral Commission court appeal victoryand Dominic Cummings’ sensational return to Government. Another story to turn FBPEers loco…

Source: Guido Fawkes  :whistling:

44 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Best stop in then just in case thats true eh ?

Of course remaining will have no negative impact on GDP , services or social cohesion ??

Yes, they diid! As for the LSE, just look at the list of dud economists that they have turned out!

I voted to leave more for what we gained by leaving and not for what the remainers said/say we will lose.

I have heared enough negativity from the remain side to last a lifetime .

I hope all lose their seat in the next election. 

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

The predictions aren't the Economist's. The Economist is just publishing them. Look at the bottom. There's one of your lot's!

If you're referring to economists for free trade, they are predicting growth? 

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

Why respond to empty threats? To get the last word in debates and defending a view in absurdum is not the same as being a good negotiator.

Boris will bluster and put on a good show but the only thing be cares about is to remain PM. I think he will happily break up the UK and have the economy go down in flames to acchieve his personal ambitions. 

/M

So Boris wants to destroy the country, to achieve his personal ambitions and  remain PM? 

Err, okay then, but you do know it doesn't actually work like that don't you? 🤣

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

If you're referring to economists for free trade, they are predicting growth? 

So Boris wants to destroy the country, to achieve his personal ambitions and  remain PM? 

Err, okay then, but you do know it doesn't actually work like that don't you? 🤣

Of course they are predicting growth- not exactly going to shoot themselves in the proverbial foot- does seem a bit optimistic when the other four are predicting the opposite?

I honestly don’t know what’s going to happen of course but what I can say is boy oh boy, it’s good to know that here on PW we have so many Economist’s, Politicians, Legal experts, International trading experts, Bankers, Forex experts and EU insiders- and all gleaned from newspapers, Facebook, guido ( doesn’t even write under his real name/team) and hearsay!!!!!!

Boris the Believer, oh how it wasn’t long ago with his Olympic shenanigans that it was Boris the Bafoon. 

Now we’re mooting him as the Saviour or the other messiah - Farage.

In all likelihood, a GE would result in a Labour majority due to the dilution of the Conservative vote to the Brexit party. 

Wasn't there a study once that declared one’s Political leaning was more likely to remain unchanged, if you have always voted labour, unlike the other parties where there is a greater openness to changing allegiance? 

1 minute ago, Jaymo said:

boy oh boy, it’s good to know that here on PW we have so many Economist’s, Politicians, Legal experts, International trading experts, Bankers, Forex experts and EU insiders

There's only one.. Retsdon, apparently. 

Most of us just read stuff 😂

For the last three years Brexiteers have been saying we will get a deal, it's in the interests of the EU as much if not more than that of the UK to do a deal, but no deal is forthcoming. For the last three years Brexiteers have been talking about carrying forward the existing trade deals that we have around the world courtesy of the EU, yet these are not complete. For the last three years Brexiteers have been talking about the new world trade deals that will be unlocked post exit, I have yet to see a strategy for how, or why new trade deals could be established for the benefit of the UK that could not have been set up within the EU. For the last three years Brexiteers have been talking about trade in goods, yet trade in services is our most important sector and there is no strategy for how that will be protected let alone developed. 

We have existing models on the table as to how EU trade deals might be established yet we still have no clear plan as to what we want or how we go about getting it. It is not simply a matter of calling someones bluff, a clear plan and strategy should be set out. After three years some clarity should have emerged. The reality is that the Kipper Johnson has no idea how an EU trade deal works and has a team incapable of rationalising reality with an extreme position that blocks their ears to anything based on rational thought.

We all want to be positive but it helps if someone can set out a rational for what we will gain and how we will secure it. 

I am sure It's all because of the remain bias in parliament and the BBC that progress has not been made but surely over the last three years, someone in government other than the civil service, should have set to paper some rational thought process for a solution. 

Could it be the case that Brexit is (as even the space cadet Moggy has  said) a process and not an event.

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

For the last three years Brexiteers have been saying we will get a deal, it's in the interests of the EU as much if not more than that of the UK to do a deal, but no deal is forthcoming

It is in their interests, trouble is we had elements within government who didn't want Brexit, including our ex PM. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

. For the last three years Brexiteers have been talking about carrying forward the existing trade deals that we have around the world courtesy of the EU, yet these are not complete. For the last three years Brexiteers have been talking about the new world trade deals that will be unlocked post exit, I have yet to see a strategy for how, or why new trade deals could be established for the benefit of the UK that could not have been set up within the EU.

We are not allowed to negotiate or set up deals while the A50 process is in play. 

As you well know. 

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

We have existing models on the table as to how EU trade deals might be established yet we still have no clear plan as to what we want or how we go about getting it. It is not simply a matter of calling someones bluff, a clear plan and strategy should be set out. After three years some clarity should have emerged. The reality is that the Kipper Johnson has no idea how an EU trade deal works and has a team incapable of rationalising reality with an extreme position that blocks their ears to anything based on rational thought

He's been in office a week! 

I'm more than happy with his performances so far. 

Say what you like, he is moving the process in the right direction. 

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am sure It's all because of the remain bias in parliament and the BBC that progress has not been made but surely over the last three years, someone in government other than the civil service, should have set to paper some rational thought process for a solution

1 week. 

And you don't give away your strategy.. Like May did. 

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

Could it be the case that Brexit is (as even the space cadet Moggy has  said) a process and not an event

Is he wrong? 

Of course it's a process, after we leave brexit will be a process for some time. 

I suppose some will never be happy, no matter what comes of it, because it wasn't the side they backed. 

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

We are not allowed to negotiate or set up deals while the A50 process is in play

New deals no but existing replication deals (the really easy ones) are in train albeit very slow. Surprisingly countries believe they can get a better deal with the UK standing alone.

As you well know. 

He's been in office a week! 

I'm more than happy with his performances so far. 

Say what you like, he is moving the process in the right direction. 

1 week. 

And you don't give away your strategy.. Like May did. 

Is he wrong? 

Kipper Boris does not understand how the EU works. He is failing to understand the Irish border issue and confront the realities of trade without the regulatory framework provided within the EU. 

Of course it's a process, after we leave brexit will be a process for some time. 

Clawing our way back in must surely be more expensive that working our way out. 

I suppose some will never be happy, no matter what comes of it, because it wasn't the side they backed. 

I suppose some like to base a future on facts and some like to follow dogma. Even those not in favour of the result will find a way to make the most of it. 

Kipper Boris does not understand how the EU works. He is failing to understand the Irish border issue and confront the realities of trade without the regulatory framework provided within the EU. 

I believe that Boris understands the backstop problem entirely. It isn't a problem - Switzerland has no hard border. It is nothing more than an invented problem, by Remainers and the EU - hoping to block Brexit. Given the Ireland history, I genuinely think that it is a dangerous and tasteless. 

7 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Regarding all this “we voted for no deal”, well apparently google is your friend until it shows something that you don’t like.

Half a dozen Brexit extremists on PW do not speak for the country at large😂

No they do not, the country as a whole is awaiting Boris's next move with relish!

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Half a dozen Brexit extremists on PW do not speak for the country at large

Neither do less than half a dozen Remainiacs on PW (who still are implying the brexiters are "no nothings" without actually saying it)   I, like many others I believe, are getting more than a little fed up with the biased media and game playing politicos  of all parties trying to subvert democracy with weasel words for their own ends.

25 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I believe that Boris understands the backstop problem entirely. It isn't a problem - Switzerland has no hard border. It is nothing more than an invented problem, by Remainers and the EU - hoping to block Brexit. Given the Ireland history, I genuinely think that it is a dangerous and tasteless. 

The integrity of the Single Market is a fixed and unchangeable quantum. When the UK talks about the border the discussion is relating to physical infrastructure and a line on the map. The Eu is talking about a regulatory eco system for the management of product and their components including the regulatory framework that governs their production and conformity

On that basis, the only sure way of securing frictionless trade across a post-Brexit Irish border is to maintain total conformity with the operating parameters of the regulatory union. The UK Brexit solution does not allow that and without it the WTO terms will require a border. As you say it's dangerous (not sure about the tasteless part) and no one has shown a way forward other than to talk about a technical solution which will not address either the WTO requirements or those of the EU for a free trade arrangement.

Switzerland is in the EU in all but name of course. Wiki 'These negotiations resulted in a total of ten treaties, negotiated in two phases, the sum of which makes a large share of EU law applicable to Switzerland' We could go down that route but Brexiteers don't want it. 

Edited by oowee

13 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Neither do less than half a dozen Remainiacs on PW (who still are implying the brexiters are "no nothings" without actually saying it)   I, like many others I believe, are getting more than a little fed up with the biased media and game playing politicos  of all parties trying to subvert democracy with weasel words for their own ends.

I assume you meant know nothings...

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No they do not, the country as a whole is awaiting Boris's next move with relish!

Indeed, a vote between no deal and remain where Brexit gets put to bed once and for all.