Brexit - merged threads

scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being reported that the BoJo government is the most disliked new government in 40 years.

Based on the rhetoric around Brexit in general, and a no deal Brexit in particular, people can make their own minds up about what the true will of the people is in 2019...

Oddly, another report suggests it is the most popular new government since silly polls began. People can and have made up their minds about Brexit, it was called the Referendum and their is no concrete evidence that this has changed.

Expect incoming daft anecdotes about feeble Brexiteers changing their mind. 🤣😉

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Considering he only lost by 1400 votes and came second would indicate this isn’t quite true- has he received the Brexit party votes of just over 3000 then he would have retained his seat

I alluded to the voting tendencies and the impact that tactical vote to the Brexit party would have, this has been proved right.

Ironically the very thing the Brexit party was formed for, could be the undoing of the whole of Brexit? You have Boris accepting the Referendum decision and yet with voting like this, his ability to deliver is being eroded. 

You presume that all people voting for the brexit party were tories, when this may not be the case as a lot of labour party voters are also in favour of brexit and vote for the brexit party.

Will plaid and others step aside for the lib dems come a general election, and be prepared to forgo being represented by their own MP's?

Plaid and others are seen as helping lib dems by stepping aside, but the reality is they had little or no chance of success and by not contesting this seat have saved themselves some money, something they are quite short of.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Being reported that the BoJo government is the most disliked new government in 40 years.

Based on the rhetoric around Brexit in general, and a no deal Brexit in particular, people can make their own minds up about what the true will of the people is in 2019...

The Tories gave the Brexit vote because they were listening to the press, and their peers in the South of England, who were not connected to the masses who they gave the vote to. Massive mistake on their part.

Round here it was/is VERY Brexit orientated .. so I find your comment about the true will of the people above pretty ill informed. It was split, and is split pretty much down the middle. That's why it's so bloody difficult. 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

I don't dislike em! They've been in power a week...... I don't believe this claim!......like it or not they're in power, anyone fair minded and without a political axe to grind (like remainers) would give em a chance, and wish them well, for the good of the country!

I have advocated giving them a chance. The lack of popularity is well publicised unlike, based on a quick search, counter claims that they are popular.

If all polls are stupid / daft / irrelevant then the only way of establishing concrete evidence for / against a certain government or government motion is to hold a vote. Previously the Brexitards were saying there is no way a Remain government would allow a second vote because they know the leave majority would be higher this time. We now have a leave government so that line of argument is exposed for what it is. They have a clear path to put the remain camp to the sword once and for all, not doing so would really highlight feebleness.

5 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

The Tories gave the Brexit vote because they were listening to the press, and their peers in the South of England, who were not connected to the masses who they gave the vote to. Massive mistake on their part.

Round here it was/is VERY Brexit orientated .. so I find your comment about the true will of the people above pretty ill informed. It was split, and is split pretty much down the middle. That's why it's so bloody difficult. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I am countering the ridiculous claim that leave is much more popular now than it was at the time of the referendum.

The notion of being ill or well informed on this matter is a little flawed in my opinion, our ONLY point of valid reference is the referendum result which is now over three years old. 

Tactical ineptitude, by the Brexit party and their voters? If the Welsh leave voters had voted for the Tory candidate the country would have another leave MP in government, by voting for the Brexit candidate they split the leave vote, and elected a remainer to be their voice in parliament!.....a big own goal?.........or a cynical double cross/conspiracy by closet remainer politicians, to weaken the leave vote?

As far as I can tell, this is the first ever British government which has formed a "war committee" in preparation of declaring war on itself.

The WW2 analogies are all very well and good (they are actually repugnant and distasteful, but anyway) along with this notion that we'll get through Brexit with "the spirit of the Blitz", but can you imagine just how awkward it would have been sat in an air raid shelter in WW2 knowing that half of the people around you voted for the bombs.

I prefer the netflix analogy whereby as an individual you decide to leave Netflix and plan to negotiate separate deals with all film makers and studios to get the best deal possible for yourself. If anyone wishes to pilot this please do let the PW massive know how you get on...

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

1 week .

7 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I have advocated giving them a chance.

But after 1 week, you are seizing on a poll that attempts to pull them down.

12 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Previously the Brexitards were saying there is no way a Remain government would allow a second vote because they know the leave majority would be higher this time. We now have a leave government so that line of argument is exposed for what it is. They have a clear path to put the remain camp to the sword once and for all, not doing so would really highlight feebleness.

Who said ?

'Some people seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the  intelligence of people who hold opposing views to theirs.

Not just on this thread but as amply illustrated by a cursory glance at their posting content throughout this forum dating back several years.

It doesn’t take a masters degree in psychology to work out the demons at play here. Utterly pathetic.'

'If we ended up with a remain government '

😂 I dont know  if youve noticed, but weve had a remain government for the last 3 years anyway ?

We could put the remain camp to bed, or not, by having an election, or another referendum, so why hasnt it happened?  Try and put your own argument to the test.
If you believe that the electorate dont want it anymore, and there is no question that, up to now , the house favoured remain, why didnt it happen ?

Just as the remain win was virtually guaranteed (or it simply wouldnt have happened) a remain win is far from guaranteed now  , so another vote wont happen unless, the vote is fixed.
You can apply the same logic to an election, why are labour no longer clamouring for one, because they know they dont stand a chance.

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

As far as I can tell, this is the first ever British government which has formed a "war committee" in preparation of declaring war on itself.

Utter rubbish , youre getting carried away now .

30 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

don't necessarily disagree with you, I am countering the ridiculous claim that leave is much more popular now than it was at the time of the referendum.

Perhaps you would get more respect for your replies if you showed a little more respect in how you got your point across.

That advice isn't only exclusive to yourself :lol:

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

1 week .

But after 1 week, you are seizing on a poll that attempts to pull them down.

I made a comment based on widespread reports, hardly seizing anything really is it. I have said they need to be given time. What would be an interesting counter would be for someone to share the link where they are being reported to be the most popular new government ever. I shall not hold my breath though.

Who said ?

'Some people seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the  intelligence of people who hold opposing views to theirs.

Not just on this thread but as amply illustrated by a cursory glance at their posting content throughout this forum dating back several years.

It doesn’t take a masters degree in psychology to work out the demons at play here. Utterly pathetic.'

I think you are reading too much into the use of the phrase, it was used purely as a counter to the use Remoaner. That said I do acknowledge it has connotations around people backing hard brexit as well as brexit retards, but since the consensus here is that Brexiteers are the intellectual superiors it would hardly be fitting to use it in that context.

'If we ended up with a remain government '

😂 I dont know  if youve noticed, but weve had a remain government for the last 3 years anyway ?

We could put the remain camp to bed, or not, by having an election, or another referendum, so why hasnt it happened?  Try and put your own argument to the test.
If you believe that the electorate dont want it anymore, and there is no question that, up to now , the house favoured remain, why didnt it happen ?

Just as the remain win was virtually guaranteed (or it simply wouldnt have happened) a remain win is far from guaranteed now  , so another vote wont happen unless, the vote is fixed.
You can apply the same logic to an election, why are labour no longer clamouring for one, because they know they dont stand a chance.

Okay so have haven't done anything other than just try to turn the argument around without answering any of the points raised. That's going round in circles...

I don't necessarily believe the May government was one of Remain, I believe they were trying to get the WA through as a compromise that would be overall more acceptable to the majority of the public. The problem with a bull-dozed no deal is that it probably only really has the backing of around a third of the electorate. I think it would be a difficult call to claim a worse public backlash over article 50 revocation than a no deal Brexit. Who knows? And of course we'll never know...

10 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Perhaps you would get more respect for your replies if you showed a little more respect in how you got your point across.

That advice isn't only exclusive to yourself :lol:

But I'm not hear to earn respect or make friends. The scene was set when certain people attacked the person rather than their opinions. Many on this thread would happily have nobody posting anything but views and opinions with which they are fully in agreement with. Fortunately there a minority who are prepared to put across alternative views despite everything that goes with that.

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

I don't necessarily believe the May government was one of Remain

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I believe they were trying to get the WA through as a compromise that would be overall more acceptable to the majority of the public

It wasnt.

Plus the house wouldnt support it anyway , so the proposed fallback was remain, May even said it herself !

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The problem with a bull-dozed no deal

A BULLDOZED cliff edge HARD Brexit you mean , int othe ABYSS of recession , casting the UK ADRIFT from the rest of the world ! 😆

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think it would be a difficult call to claim a worse public backlash over article 50 revocation than a no deal Brexit. Who knows?

Trust me , they did the math, and thats why it never happened.
One  poll result youll never see.

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

But I'm not hear to earn respect or make friends.

In that you will be successful.

Many on this thread would happily have nobody posting anything but views and opinions with which they are fully in agreement with. Fortunately there a minority who are prepared to put across alternative views despite everything that goes with that.

That is completely untrue, if you and oowee didnt post alternative views , I would barely spend any time on this thread.
I find the whole thing highly entertaining, to the detriment of my job :lol:

13 hours ago, tandytommo said:

Erm I guess he's not been sacked because he's doing what he's paid to do. As far as fiscal policy is concerned who are people to supposed to get their information from? Mr Carney or some armchair governor of the Bank of England on PW? JRDS I think  you need to go get your banking and economics qualifications and just admit that maybe there are more level headed qualified and sensible people than you to speak on such matters. If you get banned again it's cos you talk utter poo. 

Talking the UK down at every opportunity is his job is it, his pre referendum doom laden forecasts have been proven BS have they not.  He is a fully paid up member of Osbornes Project Fear team and BJ or his Chancellor should have sacked him day 1.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

In that you will be successful.

That is completely untrue, if you and oowee didnt post alternative views , I would barely spend any time on this thread.
I find the whole thing highly entertaining, to the detriment of my job :lol:

Sounds like we are both in the same boat on both points then. The periods where I don't post I am usually either actually doing some work or enjoying the weekend 🙂

But you know it was carried out and the result, or maybe you have even seen it. Special agent space cat 😛 

Space cat has special deductive powers, cause and effect, if something didnt happen when by all evidence it should have done, there is a reason, and that reason is usually because the 'evidence' is flawed or false.

Use your third eye 😂

11 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I don't necessarily believe the May government was one of Remain, I believe they were trying to get the WA through as a compromise that would be overall more acceptable to the majority of the public. The problem with a bull-dozed no deal is that it probably only really has the backing of around a third of the electorate. I think it would be a difficult call to claim a worse public backlash over article 50 revocation than a no deal Brexit. Who knows? And of course we'll never know...

You don't believe May's Govt was one for remain WOW.  With a Cabinet rammed full of Remainers and a WA written to tie us to the EU forever and payng £39 Biliion for the privelige?  Do you live in a parallel universe to the rest of us.

11 minutes ago, JRDS said:

You don't believe May's Govt was one for remain WOW.  With a Cabinet rammed full of Remainers and a WA written to tie us to the EU forever and payng £39 Biliion for the privelige?  Do you live in a parallel universe to the rest of us.

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

He lives in Remainerville with all the other Remoaners playing with their pet unicorns!

I guess this illustrates why neither of you post on this thread very often (and actually contribute something even less frequently).