Brexit - merged threads

scouser

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Have to say Gina Miller is a lot easier on the eyes than most female politician's.   Rather her than Dianne Abbott, wee little Jimmy Cranky or Anne Widecombe, Theressa May. 🤮🤢 Some would scare a burglars dog.

Indeed, the best from a poor choice - bit like Boris as PM 😛

Actually some of the above are well below what could reasonably be considered a poor choice 👍

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Have to say Gina Miller is a lot easier on the eyes than most female politician's.   Rather her than Dianne Abbott, wee little Jimmy Cranky or Anne Widecombe, Theressa May. 🤮🤢 Some would scare a burglars dog.

Some are Burglars dogs!

7 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Well I'm not a celebrity and it went through my corporate web browser guard thingy so I should be OK. From experience the only people I've known it to cause offence to are those who believe they are high end versions of the same...

Im sure chocolate and totty are fine through your corporate browser , but just so you dont think Im making it up.

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/alesha-dixon-called-racist-chocolate-men-bgt-comment?fb_comment_id=1088079731264643_1088322647907018&quicktabs_nodesblock=0

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Im sure chocolate and totty are fine through your corporate browser , but just so you dont think Im making it up.

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/alesha-dixon-called-racist-chocolate-men-bgt-comment?fb_comment_id=1088079731264643_1088322647907018&quicktabs_nodesblock=0

I did not doubt you, but it just goes to show how crazy the whole PC thing has got.

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I did not doubt you, but it just goes to show how crazy the whole PC thing has got.

On that we can agree 😄

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

On that we can agree 😄

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/08/waitrose-pulls-ugly-chocolate-ducklings-sale-complaints-racism/

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Sorry, call me an ist of some kind, but they're all a pack of dogs. Can't imagine anything other than polite, formal conversation with any of them.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

In the interests of harmony and goodwill,  here's a link to a piece that I think most of us would be in agreement with.

http://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2019/08/nuke-it-from-orbit-its-only-way-to-be.html

Excellent !

And because the spectre of US chlorinated chicken is going to be force fed to us in the coming months.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/food-safety/chlorinated-chicken-explained-why-do-the-americans-treat-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article

Here's another interesting article;

(From Matthew D’Ancona’s “In it Together”.)

If the Commons passed a no confidence vote in a government, before the Fixed Terms Parliament Act came into effect, the latter would resign and an election would be called.

That’s what took place in 1979 – on the only occasion since the war in which such a vote has been carried – during the days of James Callaghan’s Labour Government.  He lost by a single vote.  Margaret Thatcher went on to win the election than followed, and then two more.

A key point about the Fixed Terms Act is that it replaces clarity with mystery.  If a no confidence vote in a government is carried, there is no automatic general election under its terms.  Instead, the Commons has 14 days in which to pass a motion of confidence in a new government.  If no such motion is passed in that time, an election then follows.

The Act has no answer to the question: who might try to form such a new government?  The Prime Minister, insistent that he or she can win a vote of confidence within the 14 days?  The Leader of the Opposition, making the same claim?  Someone else?

Its silence was deliberate.  “We left all that to politics,” one source who was involved in drawing up the Act told ConservativeHome.  Another reading of the same words is: “we dumped the Queen in it”.  For she must ask someone to form a government, or at least to try to.

Let us now try to imagine how theory might now work in practice..

Were Boris Johnson to lose a vote of confidence in early September, he might calculate that, if 14 days pass afterwards, no election can take place until after October 31 – whether or not the present Commons can produce an alternative government.  In which case – hey presto! – Brexit will happen.

So he would presumably ask the Queen to give him 14 days to form a new government.  Such a request would not be absurd.  For it might be that some Conservative MPs who voted for a no confidence motion to turn him out might also vote for a confidence motion to put him back in.  Other MPs could do the same, too.

This is because there is a difference between bringing down a government, with no election necessarily following, and not putting in a government, if an election must follow the Commons’ refusal to do so.  To put it more plainly, Tory MPs and others might vote for Johnson second time round, rather than face an election that could return Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister.

“Look, Liz – give me a chance to have another go,” Johnson might say – or words to that effect.  “I can win that vote of confidence: I really can.”

And given the silence of the Act on the matter, the Queen might say…well, she would be entitled to say more or less anything she likes.  She might say: “Good on you, Bozza – more power to your arm”.  Or she might say: “That’s not what I’m told, so I’m firing you – and sending for that nice Mr Corbyn”.  Or she might say: “Do you know what?  I’ve been thinking.  I’m told that the Commons will go for government of national unity.  I rather like the look of that Dominic Grieve.  So I’m going to send for him.”

For Grieve, read Hillary Benn.  Or Ken Clarke.  Or Yvette Cooper.  Or Oliver Letwin.  Or Chris Bryant.  OK, it almost certainly wouldn’t be the last, but we wanted to check that you are still with us.  Anyone for Nick Boles?

The still point in this turning world is that a Prime Minister must always be in place  The Queen’s Government must be carried on.  Either Johnson must be allowed to try to form a new government, in the event of this one losing a confidence vote, or someone else must be allowed to have a go.  If the last happens, Johnson will become the first Prime Minister to be sacked by the monarch since William IV dismissed Lord Melbourne in 1834.

So what’s your best guess at what might happen if Johnson loses a no confidence vote, given all the above?

We have no idea.  But the landscape would be less bleak for Johnson in such a circumstance than it might appear.  It is by no means certain that all Labour MPs would back Corbyn in a confidence vote – let alone a majority of the Commons.  Are Grieve and company really bent on installing a Marxist government?

Nor is it obvious that the Commons would vote in favour of a government of national unity headed by some grand panjamdrum.  Most Conservative MPs wouldn’t.  And nor would most Labour MPs, surely: fear of deselection, at the very least, would keep them clinging to Corbyn.

And why would Corbyn stand aside, even for a brief period, so that Sir Hillary Letwin can step forward?  Just imagine Seumas Milne’s reaction to the proposal, plus that of the other three Ms: Karie Murphy, Andrew Murray and Len McCluskey.  Oh, and add a fifth M: Momentum.

So the Fixed Terms Act could turn out, in effect, to allow Johnson a second bite at the cherry – one that would otherwise be denied to him.  The Commons might none the less find a way of extending or revoking Brexit.  But the Prime Minister should be grateful for small mercies.  And for this one he can apparently thank…George Osborne.

DERBY-EGYPTIAN-MONORIAL-copy.png?resize=540%2C302&ssl=1

Fears over the damaged Whaley Bridge dam this week haven’t left the people of Derbyshire with much to cheer, particularly during unwanted visits from the Labour leader. At least they’ve now got some positive economic news that Derby-based train manufacturer Bombardier have won a £2.34 billion contract to make trains for the Cairo monorail, beating off Pharoah-cious competition from Chinese and Malaysian firms. Remainers still in de-Nile while Bombardier’s own Project Fear warnings get confined to the tomb of history…

It comes less than a week after Hitachi Rail announced a £400m investment in their County Durham plant. The good news just keeps Tutan-khamin’

Source: Guido Fawkes     :good:😅

Labour MP Kate Hoey has called for the Electoral Commission to be disbanded after the “travesty of justice” over the way they handled the Darren Grimes case. Incredibly, the Commission are still considering an appeal against the judge’s decision despite their case being comprehensively dismantled. Blowing hundreds of thousands more of taxpayers’ cash in vindictive pursuit of one campaigner…

As Hoey says, clearly there does need to be a body that oversees elections. The highly partisan members of the current Commission and the asymmetric way they have dealt with the two sides in the referendum since means there is no confidence left in its abilities. Time to start again from the ground up…

McDonnell - This is the man who called for a female minister (Eshter McVey) to be lynched (and has consistently refused to apologise or withdraw the call), supports IRA terrorists (calling them martyrs), admires Venezuala's Hugo Chavez and his economic system and suggests Britain default on its debt , wants to break up the UK by ditching Northern Ireland and Scotland, - and now he wants to stage what amounts to a coup in the UK.

Well - they have a guard at Buckingham Palace.  They know their duties.

Edited by JohnfromUK

22 hours ago, Rewulf said:

https://unitynewsnetwork.co.uk/dominic-grieve-could-be-arrested-over-foreign-treason-claims/?fbclid=IwAR3DZSVuUZDX04V3nI1vtZIuyPLrwiuiIVjTCTV4_l2iEPeBAl8kI2FHv9Y

That could be the start of something.
Im personally sick and tired of public servants 'plotting' to bring down the government, because they dont agree with a course of action THEY voted for.

No no no no no ....... I like to think of them as guardians of the forest. Mindful of the needs of the mob. Ever watchful for the errant ways of their elected pets.

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

No no no no no ....... I like to think of them as guardians of the forest. Mindful of the needs of the mob. Ever watchful for the errant ways of their elected pets.

That would require a degree of wisdom and integrity ?

I believe to describe the 'guardians' as being in possession of such qualities , is somewhat fanciful 😂

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

You really need to take more water with whatever you are drinking!