Brexit - merged threads

scouser

48 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

No, they will spend it in this country eventually, or pass it to kids or state.

Indeed—- but not for possibly many many years, think how many dormant accounts that there are from those deceased whose estate is in probate that isn’t claimed and the banks retain?

They dont, generally, what lacks in pension is made up in other benefits, but they have to be resident in the UK for that.

There are different levels of State Pension depending on your Record if Contributions- only a very few receive Pension Credits, often many don’t even realise they are entitled and some have too much pride to do so too.

If they breach the tax free limit through combined pension/employment, they do pay income tax.

There was a recent article highlighting that around 70 odd percent of the working population pay no income tax, the rest is payed by the remaining and one percent of the tax payers pay a disproportionate 27% of all tax receipts.

Yes, I think they should.

So do I..... 

This is where it gets complicated, an expat living is eg . Thailand can either pay for treatment over there, or more often than not, moves back over here (temporarily ) to get more expensive treatment, it depends on their status in whatever country, so that argument is fairly weak.
What will be interesting is how EU expats are treated by the various countries , once we leave.
The common sense approach is to have a reciprocal agreement.

These returning Pensioners are often regarded as “Health Tourists” and often denied forms of treatment- it’s not just a case of moving in somewhere for a few months.

Often it’s cheaper and you receive better treatment by paying locally, we have experience of the French Healthcare system and our youngest possible wouldn’t be here without their intervention. 

My personal opinion, is the NHS in its present form is doomed, its a massive creaking behemoth of waste and poor financial management.
Its abused by many, and surely cant keep going the way it is.
The only reason no government dare reform it, is because it would be the wheel that government would be broken on.
Which is a sorry state of affairs.

Money on its own will save the NHS, a total change to how it’s implemented and paid for is required along with major changes to management structures ( had the misfortune to work in the NHS once) - but as you say, no Government dare to do so as we’ve come to regard it as a “right” rather than a privilege to have

******, see it’s not highlighted my replies

Edited by Jaymo

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

There are different levels of State Pension depending on your Record if Contributions- only a very few receive Pension Credits, often many don’t even realise they are entitled and some have too much pride to do so too.

:good:

3 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

There was a recent article highlighting that around 70 odd percent of the working population pay no income tax, the rest is payed by the remaining and one percent of the tax payers pay a disproportionate 27% of all tax receipts.

Not sure if the situation has changed, but my  Dad , when he was still around, got his state pension, plus his works pension, ended up paying tax on it ?
It was about 10 years ago though.

I would imagine if your combined pension income with a job on top puts you over entitlement, then by rights you pay tax, is it right ?
No not really.

7 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

These returning Pensioners are often regarded as “Health Tourists” and often denied forms of treatment- it’s not just a case of moving in somewhere for a few months.

Often it’s cheaper and you receive better treatment by paying locally, we have experience of the French Healthcare system and our youngest possible wouldn’t be here without their intervention. 

A good example of this https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-expats-whose-baby-born-12108873

Completely innocent of any wrong doing, and a sorry state of affairs.

BUT , health tourists do exist , and cost taxpayers vast sums, a better system is needed, but the NHS mantra of turning no one away is the primary issue.

13 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Money on its own not will save the NHS, a total change to how it’s implemented and paid for is required along with major changes to management structures ( had the misfortune to work in the NHS once) - but as you say, no Government dare to do so as we’ve come to regard it as a “right” rather than a privilege to have

:good:

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

My personal opinion, is the NHS in its present form is doomed, its a massive creaking behemoth of waste and poor financial management.
Its abused by many, and surely cant keep going the way it is.
The only reason no government dare reform it, is because it would be the wheel that government would be broken on.
Which is a sorry state of affairs.

Absolutely right

On 10/08/2019 at 15:25, Jaymo said:

Rewulf.

Thanks for correcting my post- I’m guilty of not reading as I type.

Yes, money on its own will NOT save it...

regardless of what is needed for the NHS..........i was reading a while ago on the truly ...bloody ...appalling waste of money that is spent on purchasing ...consumables and stuff to run the hostipitals......

just one very small example is the purchase of throw-away-latex gloves.......these can be bought for silly money...100 pairs to a box for less that £5.00 quid..........it was worked out the NHS was paying about 50p a pair :w00t:.......and this goes right throw the system

NASA in the old days had a sort out and found they were paying $80 for a screwdriver and $120 dollars for a pair of pliers.....

i believe this practice was also rife in the British army not too long ago.............

it is total inept management ........either by design or shear stupidity........

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

regardless of what is needed for the NHS..........i was reading a while ago on the truly ...bloody ...appalling waste of money that is spent on purchasing ...consumables and stuff to run the hostipitals......

just one very small example is the purchase of throw-away-latex gloves.......these can be bought for silly money...100 pairs to a box for less that £5.00 quid..........it was worked out the NHS was paying about 50p a pair .......and this goes right throw the system

NASA in the old days had a sort out and found they were paying $80 for a screwdriver and $120 dollars for a pair of pliers.....

i believe this practice was also rife in the British army not too long ago.............

it is total inept management ........either by design or shear stupidity........

Add to this freely available drugs such as Paracetamol.

Its charged at around a tenner to the NHS, when you can purchase for 19p in Morrisons etc.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Add to this freely available drugs such as Paracetamol.

Its charged at around a tenner to the NHS, when you can purchase for 19p in Morrisons etc.

Same over here, they might pay 600 euro for a pair of compression socks that I can get in a pharmacy for about 20.

/Markus

"CALAIS BOSS...." PROJECT FEAR IS BOVINE SCATORUM"

Senior French official Jean-Marc Puissesseau has dismissed fears of transport chaos around the Dover-Calais crossing as “C’est la bulls...”, saying: “Nothing is going to happen the day after Brexit… Britain will be a third country, that’s all, and there is no reason why this should lead to any problems. If both sides do their homework traffic will be completely fluid”. He should know, he’s only the head of the French channel ports…

He adds that while no deal would have been a problem in March “because nobody believed it was going to happen and they were all dragging their feet”, now everyone has an extra seven months is actually getting ready. Including the UK Government, this time…

Puissesseau accuses “certain individuals in the UK” of “whipping up this catastrophism for their own reasons”. Who could possibly want to do that…

Source: Guido Fawkes

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

"CALAIS BOSS...." PROJECT FEAR IS BOVINE SCATORUM"

Senior French official Jean-Marc Puissesseau has dismissed fears of transport chaos around the Dover-Calais crossing as “C’est la bulls...”, saying: “Nothing is going to happen the day after Brexit… Britain will be a third country, that’s all, and there is no reason why this should lead to any problems. If both sides do their homework traffic will be completely fluid”. He should know, he’s only the head of the French channel ports…

He adds that while no deal would have been a problem in March “because nobody believed it was going to happen and they were all dragging their feet”, now everyone has an extra seven months is actually getting ready. Including the UK Government, this time…

Puissesseau accuses “certain individuals in the UK” of “whipping up this catastrophism for their own reasons”. Who could possibly want to do that…

Source: Guido Fawkes

Monsieur Puissesseau is someone who should know...........It's getting tiresome now.......Just more project fear spread by vested interests and remainers.

8 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Monsieur Puissesseau is someone who should know...........

Know what exactly? He's saying that there won't be delays at the ports. Well, we knew that already. https://www.doverport.co.uk/port/about/brexit-be-prepared/

What Puissesseau is not saying ( because he doesn't know and it's a different matter altogether) is that British trade with the EU will be unaffected by a No Deal Brexit.  Because from the link above,  while it's clear that advanced plans have been made to avoid congestion at the ports, what's also clear is that post-Brexit importers and exporters are going to be faced with several extra tiers of paperwork before their goods are allowed to travel. 

If you were an EU importer of UK goods, would that be an issue for you? I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

Edited by Retsdon

6 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Know what exactly? He's saying that there won't be delays at the ports. Well, we knew that already. https://www.doverport.co.uk/port/about/brexit-be-prepared/

What Puissesseau is not saying ( because he doesn't know and it's a different matter altogether) is that British trade with the EU will be unaffected by a No Deal Brexit.  Because from the link above,  while it's clear that advanced plans have been made to avoid congestion at the ports, what's also clear is that post-Brexit importers and exporters are going to be faced with several extra tiers of paperwork before their goods are allowed to travel. 

If you were an EU importer of UK goods, would that be an issue for you? I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

That's a different question......innit? One can only assess a situation with any accuracy by listening to those in a position to know (or should know) other opinion is just that, opinion, and if negative, likely to be just guesswork, misinformation and hyperbole spread by some to suit their own agenda......i.e. project fear!

Sadly, this is the way of the modern world. Some like to be optimistic, whereas others paint a picture of doom and gloom. Neither side knows which way it will go. 

I find it odd that Theresa was slated for her approach - whilst she tried to get a deal, she was never upbeat. Boris has exuded optimism, misplaced or not, but has similarly been slated.

There are those who cannot bear the thought that a brighter future may well be possible, in complete contrast to their own views. I feel sorry for them.

I see Heidi Allen , ex cons, ex change UK , currently fronting a group called 'The Independents' has announced a new organisation called Unite to Remain.

Designed to stop us leaving on Oct 31, by making sure there is only one remain candidate in each constituency in the GE we are going to have.. err, before we leave ?

Im not sure whether she is being optimistic , or she doesnt quite get the maths involved.

What she certainly doesnt understand, is that the majority STILL want to leave, and even a lot of remainers want the whole thing done and dusted.
But some people live in bubbles...

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I see Heidi Allen , ex cons, ex change UK , currently fronting a group called 'The Independents' has announced a new organisation called Unite to Remain.

Designed to stop us leaving on Oct 31, by making sure there is only one remain candidate in each constituency in the GE we are going to have.. err, before we leave ?

Im not sure whether she is being optimistic , or she doesnt quite get the maths involved.

What she certainly doesnt understand, is that the majority STILL want to leave, and even a lot of remainers want the whole thing done and dusted.
But some people live in bubbles...

Perhaps she attended the same schools as Diane Abbott!

39 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What she certainly doesnt understand, is that the majority STILL want to leave

MPs are only interested (apart from their greediness for money and expenses) in getting your vote before an election;  after the election, they 'do their own thing' until such time as the next election comes on the horizon.

This poll https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7350441/Majority-Britons-suspending-Parliament-Brexit-done.html

suggests that 88% of poeple feel their MPs are 'out of touch' with the people they 'serve'.

Note the word serve in bold.  That is what they should be doing - serving US.

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

MPs are only interested (apart from their greediness for money and expenses) in getting your vote before an election;  after the election, they 'do their own thing' until such time as the next election comes on the horizon.

This poll https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7350441/Majority-Britons-suspending-Parliament-Brexit-done.html

suggests that 88% of poeple feel their MPs are 'out of touch' with the people they 'serve'.

Note the word serve in bold.  That is what they should be doing - serving US.

Very much so.

I will boringly quote the delightfully quiet at the moment Anna Soubry, https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/26/anna-soubry-interview-brexit-history-will-condemn-this-period

The UK can avoid severe disruption in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the boss of one of the country's leading retailers has told the BBC.

Lord Wolfson, chief executive of clothing firm Next, said he still hoped a deal could be done before 31 October.

But he said the government's increased focus on contingency planning meant the UK was close to being well prepared.

Simplified customs and border procedures had made the chance of hold-ups of goods far less likely, he said.

Lord Wolfson was a strong advocate of Brexit in the run-up to the referendum but has previously warned that a no-deal Brexit would bring about "chaos and disorder", while stopping short of a catastrophe.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC Today programme, he said the last government had failed to adequately prepare - a situation that was now being addressed.

"We are a long way from disorder and chaos, the fact that HMRC has introduced these transition methods will make an enormous difference. I think the encouraging thing is that we are rapidly moving from the disorder and chaos camp to the well-prepared camp.

"I should stress that I would much prefer a deal to no deal, but I am much less frightened by no deal if the government is prepared, and there is every indication it's taking it more seriously."

He said he was still hopeful a deal could be done before 31 October and that increased preparation for no deal would help secure one.

"In the vast majority of deals I've done, if the deadline is midnight, the deal gets done at 11:55 but we need to have nerves of steel and prepare ourselves for either outcome,

The Next chief also had sharp criticism for the last government's lack of preparation.

"There was a wilful attempt to not prepare. They were so scared of no deal they couldn't allow anyone to admit it could happen. That's changing and I think that means in the worst case you get mild disruption - in the best case - you get a deal."

Source (Would you believe it!!!!!!!!!!!)  The BBC !

BOLTON-NO-DEAL-copy.png?resize=540%2C307&ssl=1

Donald Trump’s national security adviser John Bolton is over this side of the Atlantic to throw his support wholeheartedly behind the UK’s efforts to leave the EU, deal or no deal. Bolton says the UK will be “first in line” for a trade deal with the US and opened the door to both countries doing sector-by-sector mini-deals to accelerate the process. He makes clear the US would “enthusiastically” support the UK if it left with no deal:

“If that is the decision of the British government, we will support it enthusiastically. That is the message I am bringing: we are with you. Britain’s success in successfully exiting the EU is a statement about democratic rule and constitutional government that is important for Britain but for the US too.”

If this wasn’t enough to trigger Remainers already, Bolton then hit out at the EU for the way it treats its “peasants” when they vote the wrong way:

“The fashion in the European Union when the people vote the wrong way from the way the elites want to go, is make the peasants vote again and again until they get it right.”

Bolton, like many in the Trump administration, is an ideological supporter of Brexit as well as a pragmatic one. Remainers can complain all they like but it’s not a bad thing to have in your closest ally at this moment in time…

Source: Guido Fawkes...:yahoo:

boris-johnson-parliament-5-e1565684603966-540x291.jpg?resize=540%2C291&ssl=1

A majority (54%) of the public agree that Boris Johnson needs to deliver Brexit by any means, even if that meant suspending Parliament, according to the latest ComRes poll for The Telegraph. Including ‘don’t knows’ there is still a clear 44% in favour to 37% against, this is backed up by another question that finds 40% of people who think Boris is more in tune with the public than Parliament. Only 25% agree that Parliament is more in tune with the public than Boris…

Naturally Remoaners are hitting the roof over the fact ‘don’t knows’ have been excluded from the headline, and that the poll used the word “Boris”. Funnily enough Guido can’t remember them making such a fuss at the endless series of highly loaded “Final Say” polling questions pumped out by the People’s Vote campaign…

Source:  Guido Fawkes  :good:😅

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

The only reservation I have from a quick US trade deal is, what will be the quid pro quo?

There'll be no quick US trade deal. Congress signs off on (in other words controls) US trade deals and the US Congress is Democrat controlled. Google Richard Neal ( who's he?,  I hear you ask)  and see what he has to say on any US - UK trade agreement that's not approved by Ireland. Quite honestly Bolton has not much more influence on who the US signs deals with and the terms of those deals than does my late cat.

43 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

There'll be no quick US trade deal. Congress signs off on (in other words controls) US trade deals and the US Congress is Democrat controlled. Google Richard Neal ( who's he?,  I hear you ask)  and see what he has to say on any US - UK trade agreement that's not approved by Ireland. Quite honestly Bolton has not much more influence on who the US signs deals with and the terms of those deals than does my late cat.

Does Trump ?
Because hes said exactly the same as Bolton, or are all those tariffs he keeps setting just a figment of his imagination ?