Brexit - merged threads

scouser

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought they also admitted that they (the ONS) only counted the figures from certain venues, ie, NOT all of the possible figures.

Ironic that they (the ONS) now state their results may not be reliable. 

Many of us worked that out years ago!

I do look forward to Jeremy Paxmans new programme about politicians.

I don't see how the ONS can ever hope to track the huge number of young EU migrants who Easyjet back and forward at will. It would be interesting to know their methods. On suggestion that applied to a different survey was that they could only track those on PAYE or who made tax returns. That would be a very small percentage.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

As somebody who has both lived and worked in the US and is now a regular visitor. US food standards are clearly much higher than you see in Europe

Ditto ! I have visited the USA many times, across 14 States,  and have always been impressed with their food standards! Just more scaremongering from Remainers!

51 minutes ago, oowee said:

On the plate or on the farm?

Well for one thing most food shops in the US have to be licenced by the local Authority. And if they step out of line the licence gets revoked automatically

51 minutes ago, oowee said:

Edited by Vince Green

Guido quotes that the EU food ranks much lower, why do they not provide a link or an actual list?

Just asking

5 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

How much salt, fat, sugar etc etc

VID463_0719_Nutrition_label.2e16d0ba.fill-920x373.jpg

So higher levels of fat sugar salt and calories is better, that can't be right?

2 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

How much salt, fat, sugar etc etc

VID463_0719_Nutrition_label.2e16d0ba.fill-920x373.jpg

Sure, but how is 'highest nutrient profile' measured? The most fat?  The highest carbs? Without a definition of what is actually being measured, how is 'healthiest' calculated.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that in the US and UK there is more 'healthy' packaged food (frozen vegetables, fruit, etc) sold than in somewhere like Croatia where people are more likely to either eat less healthy food or rely less on packaged and more on fresh food. But without a proper description of what is being measured that's all there is - guesswork.

7 hours ago, Vince Green said:

“...the US are the countries with the healthiest packaged foods.  The UK, USA, Australia and Canada ranked highest for overall nutrient profile

With regards to the above you asked "What does 'nutrient profile' mean exactly?"

I simply gave you the answer.

As to what standards there may be is a different question, perhaps you might like to seek further advice from Google or another search engine of your choice as I doubt there will be an expert on the subject along any time soon to answer your question on here.

BTW I got my answer regarding your first question as a result of a search using Google. 👍

22 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

BTW I got my answer regarding your first question as a result of a search using Google. 

You're right. Google throws up the actual report https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/obr.12879

...and a quick scroll down to Table 1 reveals what I suspected - that in developed countries packaged food makes up a higher percentage of people's diets and so overall  their packaged food diet is healthier - more legumes, meat, etc. But whether dried peas in a packet are healthier than peas from the local market is, of course, moot.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:
  7 hours ago, Vince Green said:

“...the US are the countries with the healthiest packaged foods.  The UK, USA, Australia and Canada ranked highest for overall nutrient profile

With regards to the above you asked "What does 'nutrient profile' mean exactly?"

I simply gave you the answer.

As to what standards there may be is a different question, perhaps you might like to seek further advice from Google or another search engine of your choice as I doubt there will be an expert on the subject along any time soon to answer your question on here.

BTW I got my answer regarding your first question as a result of a search using Google. 👍

Sorry it was not a pop at you, I didn`t know and was on my phone at the time so can`t open multiple pages

US food is definitely the pits with regard to added sugar, no doubt about that. Cereals, fruit juice, cakes etc are loaded with sugar. And the range and selection of fruit and veg in places like Walmart is pathetic compared to here.

However,  a lot of the food in  EU is not that brilliant either. We in GB have the best selection and part of that is because we still import from former colonies like Kenya and the Carribean . 

Yes we can see just how high a standard the food is in America, only have to look at how healthy they all are as a nation.

There was a program I watched month or so ago about food standards in USA and Europe about why Americans are obese and Europe not so much.  There are lots of differences in what governments allow to be added to foods and drinks. The FDA allows things ours don't and vice versa. Licensing outlets is great but what good when the food is carp they get by being modified added to from farm to processing. 

32 minutes ago, figgy said:

Yes we can see just how high a standard the food is in America, only have to look at how healthy they all are as a nation.

There was a program I watched month or so ago about food standards in USA and Europe about why Americans are obese and Europe not so much.  There are lots of differences in what governments allow to be added to foods and drinks. The FDA allows things ours don't and vice versa. Licensing outlets is great but what good when the food is carp they get by being modified added to from farm to processing. 

Overall, I agree with you but I reckon we are catching up on the US in the race to be the fattest, least fit nation on earth. And a deal with the US will only exacerbate the issue. Observe the general public in any busy shopping street and do a quick assessment of the proportion of fat : fit. Shocking. Although as one politician put it recently, maybe its as much down to laziness as it is food quality/intake.

41 minutes ago, figgy said:

That's down to personal choices what you choose to eat is entirely up to you. But I agree in the US junk food is everywhere and cleverly marketed. We are not that far behind though, walk round any supermarket with your 'healthy' hat on and you soon realise most of our food is carp too.

3 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

its as much down to laziness as it is food quality/intake.

This /\

combined with the amount we eat.  My parents generation lived through rationing during and after the war; quality was poor (margarines, fatty cuts, shortages of fruit and veggies), but quantities were tight as well, so people didn't gain weight (though it may not have done their arteries any good!).  They did take a lot of exercise (walk to public transport, few cars and fuel rationed) and many people gardened to grow veggies, and carried the coal and logs in etc.  Houses were also much cooler - which helps not gaining weight.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

More than a few of us are following in the same footsteps with assets.