Brexit - merged threads

scouser

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

It’s ok

Raja, Oowee, Henry and myself foresaw this and invested in the ‘Acme Pitchfork’ Company to ensure a good supply. 

unfortunately you need we’re selling them to “Remainers” only 🙂 

Did you get much of a discount for buying so few?

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

US food is definitely the pits with regard to added sugar, no doubt about that. Cereals, fruit juice, cakes etc are loaded with sugar. And the range and selection of fruit and veg in places like Walmart is pathetic compared to here.

However,  a lot of the food in  EU is not that brilliant either. We in GB have the best selection and part of that is because we still import from former colonies like Kenya and the Carribean . 

Vince, we have found, on all our visits to the Western States, that Walmart have a very wide selection  of fruit and veg ! It,s almost first port of call on our trips, we fill up with loads of fruit, which is fresh, and cheap!

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Yes we can see just how high a standard the food is in America, only have to look at how healthy they all are as a nation.

There was a program I watched month or so ago about food standards in USA and Europe about why Americans are obese and Europe not so much.  There are lots of differences in what governments allow to be added to foods and drinks. The FDA allows things ours don't and vice versa. Licensing outlets is great but what good when the food is carp they get by being modified added to from farm to processing. 

Problem is, our health is going the same way, because we give people CHOICE! Unfortunately, they eat what they like, and to hell with the consequences!  Healthy food is widely available both in the USA, and here.........................so why do people eat carp? Advertising,  poor food education? Warnings are given on packaging, which people ignore.  You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink!

9 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

Overall, I agree with you but I reckon we are catching up on the US in the race to be the fattest, least fit nation on earth. And a deal with the US will only exacerbate the issue. Observe the general public in any busy shopping street and do a quick assessment of the proportion of fat : fit. Shocking. Although as one politician put it recently, maybe its as much down to laziness as it is food quality/intake.

A deal with the USA has nothing to do with it! They do not force people to eat rubbish!

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Is it a bit like anti Trumpers saying they're going to leave the US but never do? 

Or more like, 'I've bought a French/Spanish holiday home, but I'll say I'm quitting the UK so I can blame it on Brexit' type of thing? 

And, if you don't let me have what I want, I shall sqweam and sqweam and sqweam, and then I'm leaving... FOREVER! 🤣

and  some of the celebs (horrible word) and Yvette Cooper saying that illegal economic migrants can move into their house? 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

The home thing is not so easy as passport rights look more than a little risky. It's much easier to hedge against the downside 🙂 

Hopefully those who need one on the NHS will have insurance to cover it when the NHS can't afford it. 

Maybe that day will be delayed, when the NHS gets back ALL the monies owed by foreign health tourists?

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Whenever a revolutionary movement founders on the rocks of reality, inevitably the cry of 'traitors' goes up. it's been the way since time immemorial.

To which revolutionary movement do you refer? The one the opposition party's started today? To what reality do you refer? The fact that the remainer MP's undermined (and still are) democracy and the UK's bargaining position with the representatives of foreign governments? I define that as traitorous! Don't you? 

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fair enough, but TRAITORS they undoubtedly are!

But who are you calling traitors? I don't understand where you're coming from.

I agree, the Brexit process has been hopelessly handled from the start but the problem all along has, it seems to me, been woeful incompetence rather than malice. And honestly, considering that the manner and terms of Brexit were (deliberately) never defined by the Leave campaign people and politicians have a prefect right to question the actual final product. Claiming, as some do, that MPs had and have a duty to vote for whatever random versions of Brexit popped out of the Tory party psychodrama is just absurd.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

These traitors are saying they are going to try to pass a law preventing a "no deal' Brexit.......when in reality, they are using this deception to prevent the UK leaving the EU under any circumstances!

Most leavers want to leave with an acceptable deal.....the EU ain't offering one, the remainer traitors say they want one, but won't vote for any deal, so what options are left?........leave without a deal or remain in the EU!

Unelected PM? Bad if it doesn't suit a remainer agenda, OK if it does!.........typical remainer double standards and Hypocrisy?

Correct!

40 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

There aren't many. https://fullfact.org/europe/who-trades-eu-under-wto-rules/  And no country on the planet trades with its nearest neighbours under WTO rules. Oh wait, my mistake - there's Mauritania! https://medium.com/@MrWeeble/who-actually-trades-solely-under-wto-rules-1b6127ce33c6

So after probably 20 years of negotiation  we'll be back where we are  now. Marvellous.

I,m puzzled.....You keep saying "we"......but don,t you live in Saudia? or is it Thailand?  And not coming back here anytime soon?

27 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

No deal is easy if the other party won't deal! And no deal is easy, if the traitor remainers in Parliament remove all your negotiators bargaining chips!....so we weren't lied to......we were undermined by traitors!

Leaving without a deal is not in anyone's interests.....blame the traitors in parliament! Their treachery has left the UK with no option!

To my knowledge the electorate has never elected the PM, that has always been the job of the party....the electorate just elect MP's....so you may or may not like it, but you have currently and never have had any say!.......that's just how things are so the PM doesn't need your or any other member of the electorates support! And never has! So protesting that you do not support any unelected PM is an irrelevance!....but rhetorically (and if you did, hypocritically) I imagine you would support an unelected PM.....who vowed to remain in the EU? Lol!

Correct!

26 minutes ago, oowee said:

Great isn't it that we cannot set out trading terms with our closest partners and instead to choose to adopt a backward trading arrangement. An arrangement designed to reduce the impact of cheap foreign goods undermining our standards. 

WTO rules that will require equal treatment of all trading partners. No border for one is no border for all. 

Our "closest partners " geographically, but not politically!

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Did you get much of a discount for buying so few?

:lol:

10 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I agree, the Brexit process has been hopelessly handled from the start but the problem all along has, it seems to me, been woeful incompetence rather than malice. And honestly, considering that the manner and terms of Brexit were (deliberately) never defined by the Leave campaign people and politicians have a prefect right to question the actual final product. Claiming, as some do, that MPs had and have a duty to vote for whatever random versions of Brexit popped out of the Tory party psychodrama is just absurd.

^^^^ This.

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

To which revolutionary movement do you refer? The one the opposition party's started today? To what reality do you refer? The fact that the remainer MP's undermined (and still are) democracy and the UK's bargaining position with the representatives of foreign governments? I define that as traitorous! Don't you? 

Brexit is the revolutionary movement. The reality is that the EU is an unwieldy rules-based organization that does things by the numbers and the written down terms and therefore cannot just tear up its rule book to accommodate the UK. And this has been the problem all along. In order to stay within the Single Market Britain would have needed to agree to abide by the rules anregulations of that market, something that May with her red lines wasn't prepared to do. Her withdrawal agreement - kicking the can down the road - was the best that was ever going to be on offer.

Now Boris is punting the notion that if he throws the UK off an economic cliff it will cause enough collateral damage to the EU to cause them to abandon their own rule book. But it's another fantasy because the EU is built around the rule book! 

The real culprits here are the snake-oil salesmen and fantasists who have punted a vision of the future that is simply unattainable in the modern world.

13 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

You cannot be serious "incompetence rather than malice" remainer Parliamentarians in government and opposition have maliciously worked both serupticiously and openly to stop Brexit and frustrate democracy since the referendum!

Leave never defined the terms of Brexit because the EU wouldn't negotiate let alone agree any 'terms'... the PM and her cabinet were trying to manage the situation rather than deliver Brexit, Parliament were trying to overturn the democratic will of the people and our negotiators were, not as you claim "hopelessly handling" but deliberately undermining the UK position and agreeing a deal no one, including Parliament could accept!...so the government ministers who supported Brexit all resigned! Leaving the field open for the traitors!

Thats how I see it!

53 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Have you always worn rose tinted spectacles?

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fair enough, but TRAITORS they undoubtedly are!

I'm guessing that you regard anyone who doesn't share your point of view is a traitor .But hey while name calling seems to be ok I'll stoop to your level and say get a life you gammon faced little Englander.  

You cannot be serious "incompetence rather than malice" remainer Parliamentarians in government and opposition have maliciously worked both serupticiously and openly to stop Brexit and frustrate democracy since the referendum!

Leave never defined the terms of Brexit because the EU wouldn't negotiate let alone agree any 'terms'... the PM and her cabinet were trying to manage the situation rather than deliver Brexit, Parliament were trying to overturn the democratic will of the people and our negotiators were, not as you claim "hopelessly handling" but deliberately undermining the UK position and agreeing a deal no one, including Parliament could accept!...so the government ministers who supported Brexit all resigned! Leaving the field open for the traitors!

Thats how I see it!

So it's all the fault of everyone else rather than the course of action started initiated by a flawed process.  

20 minutes ago, tandytommo said:

I'm guessing that you regard anyone who doesn't share your point of view is a traitor .But hey while name calling seems to be ok I'll stoop to your level and say get a life you gammon faced little Englander.  

Good evening Trollboy!

You can't blame the process, only those that deliberately ****** the process up!

Why. It started with a binary choice supported by false argument.  Unsurprising then that it can't be delivered as described. We have been played for fools by the extremists in Parliament for their own ends.

I saw Mogg leave his house last week in his 30's Bentley with his kids all wearing tweeds. It's easy to imagine his desire to turn back the clock to a time where the gentry rule and everyone else makes do.